Search

NYC Forum Project - please post your suggestions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:43 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Lightbulb NYC Forum Project - please post your suggestions here

A new Welcome message has just been posted with some key external and internal links. I'd like to solicit your suggestions for additional links here, so please post away! Note that 'Important Threads' should be of general interest and should contain up-to-date information. If there are multiple threads on a given topic that you would like to see consolidated, please post them here as well.

A couple notes:

• I've never taken the commuter ferries, please let me know if there are others that should be listed.

• The Broadway tickets sticky has now been unstuck, but can still be found conveniently in the Welcome post under Attractions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(This thread will be stuck temporarily during this process.)
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Hopstop.com to navigate the subways

nyc.bestparking.com to find parking prices in any area
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks, cordelli! I'll add those when I get back to my other computer with the master copy of the post. Keep 'em coming!

Anyone think we should suggest iPhone apps for subway/bus? There are some free ones that have the map, but I use one of the paid ones, iTrans NYC. There's an officially MTA-licensed one as well that has bus routes, but I chose iTrans based on the reviews.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

Christmas in New York is a common topic and one we see every year. Here is a current thread. In post three, themicah has helpfully collected a number of recent threads.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Welcome Sticky now updated with:
NYC Guides & Tools

(thanks, cordelli)

(thanks SanDiego1K & themicah re: Xmas threads)

...and this little gem:
Contrary to some impressions, New Yorkers are actually a friendly and helpful bunch - we’re not rude, just blunt.

On the 'to-do list':
Rockefeller Center
Ground Zero
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum
Museum of Modern Art
U.S. Open Tennis Championships
Fulton Fish Market (gone!)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think this might be a helpful addition to the sticky:

http://tripplanner.mta.info/
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Done, thanks!

Also added some new Lodging and Attractions threads.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:46 am
Original Poster

New section now that we have a couple of master restaurant threads.

Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dstan
I'm hungry just looking at that list. Thank you again for all your work ^
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the guideline around how the master thread works? Does that mean that every time someone has starts a thread with an eating question it gets merged into one of the master threads?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
What's the guideline around how the master thread works? Does that mean that every time someone has starts a thread with an eating question it gets merged into one of the master threads?
It'll be on a case by case basis. I don't think we want to end up with enormous master threads, because they are difficult to wade through. However, by having the threads readily available, the hope is that there will be fewer of these new threads started.

If someone does post a new thread on these topics and I catch it quickly enough, I can close it, ask them to review the master thread and post there as appropriate. However, if there are informative replies in the new thread by then, then a merge may be in order.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It'll be on a case by case basis. I don't think we want to end up with enormous master threads, because they are difficult to wade through.
I agree. When everything gets buried in a master thread, it becomes really, really difficult to notice if/when someone posts a question that you might be able to help out with.

I just end up ignoring most of the master threads.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
I agree. When everything gets buried in a master thread, it becomes really, really difficult to notice if/when someone posts a question that you might be able to help out with.

I just end up ignoring most of the master threads.
Well, once you're subscribed, it's pretty easy to just read the new posts as they come up, and that's actually an additional advantage of a master thread - those who have already contributed to it will see when a new question, etc. comes up.

I think the bigger problem is for new people who come looking for info. If the thread is too long or noisy, it's difficult for them to wade through it; Search Within Thread probably isn't much help either when trying to, for example, choose between steakhouses. That's why I often summarize some key information/posts/links in a note in the OP. I'm also selective about what threads I merge and often do some editing in the process, in an effort to maintain high signal-to-noise.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
how about

http://www.nycgo.com/
http://newyork.timeout.com/
http://newyorkkids.timeout.com/
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, once you're subscribed, it's pretty easy to just read the new posts as they come up, and that's actually an additional advantage of a master thread - those who have already contributed to it will see when a new question, etc. comes up.
Honestly, I have never subscribed to a thread. Maybe I'm unique in that manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.