Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing / Taking Off at EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR / KEWR)

• For current flight tracks at EWR, see: http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KEWR

• For the EWR Airport Diagram, see: http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KEWR/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM

• For Approach and Departure procedures at EWR, see: http://flightaware.com/resources/air...EWR/procedures

• For a Google Map of the EWR area, see: Google Map

• For an interactive map of NYC Airspace routes, including arrivals and departures from EWR, see: http://tfmlearning.fly.faa.gov/NY_Ai...Y_Airspace.swf

Airport Layout
EWR has two parallel runways that run NE/SW (4/22 L/R), and one intersecting runway that runs E/W (11/29). Runways 4/22 L/R are approximately parallel to Manhattan while Runway 11/29 is approximately perpendicular to it.

Airport Configurations
Approach and departure patterns are dependent upon the winds and weather, as well as traffic at neighboring LGA and JFK airports. In general, Runway 4R/22L is used for arrivals while Runway 4L/22R is used for departures.

The following combinations are commonly used:

Arrivals 4R, Departures 4L
Arrivals 22L, Departures 22R

The following provides a summary of the views for each approach and departure path:

Approaches
Runway 4R(L) - (no good views) The approach path circles in from the West and turns left to the NE for the final at 2000-1000 ft along the Arthur Kill waterway with New Jersey on the left and Staten Island on the right.

Runway 11 - (no info at present)

Runway 22L(R) - (distant views from the left side) This approach path circles in from the West and turns right to the SW for the final at 3000 over TEB airport, with Manhattan on the left.

Runway 29 - (no info at present)

Departures
Runway 4L(R) - (good views from the right side for Eastbound departures, distant views from the right side for Westbound and Southbound departures) The departure path starts to the NE with Manhattan off to the right side. Eastbound departures then turn right to the East and may overfly upper Manhattan at 6000 ft, while Westbound and Southbound departures turn left to the NW over Newark.

Runway 11 - (no info at present)

Runway 22R(L) - (no good views) The departure path starts to the SW with Staten Island on the left side. Westbound and Southbound departures will continue to their initial departure fix. Northbound and Eastbound departures will turn right to the West, climbing back over EWR to their initial departure fix and may overfly upper Manhattan at XXXX.

Runway 29 - (no info at present)
Print Wikipost

Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing / Taking Off at EWR

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Views of NYC when Landing at EWR

Trivial question really but I'm booking Continental flights, flying into EWR from Europe early afternoon and was wondering what the usual approach path into EWR was, and thus which was the best side of the aircraft to sit for views of NYC?

Appreciate there will be variability dependant upon weather/winds but wondered which runways were used predominantly and what the most usual flight path was?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dstan; Nov 6, 2015 at 10:51 am Reason: move mod note to wiki
Old May 25, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights usually arrive from the north. A seat on the left gives you a view of Manhattan.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I honestly wouldn't say that. It's a pretty even split. I'd still pick left because if you come from the South the view off the right is nothing to write home about anyway.

Last edited by stevenshev; May 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm Reason: d'oh
Old May 25, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Yup

Originally Posted by nerd
Flights usually arrive from the North. A seat on the left gives you a view of Manhattan.

About a 67% chance
Old May 25, 2010, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevenshev
I'd still pick left because if you come from the South the view off the right is nothing to right home about anyway.
:-:
Old May 25, 2010, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Isn't just getting from EU to EWR good enough with the Iceland volcano never mind which side of the plane you're on? Maybe I'm a big picture type...
Old May 25, 2010, 8:44 pm

Apples & Saucepans

Originally Posted by tcook052
Isn't just getting from EU to EWR good enough with the Iceland volcano never mind which side of the plane you're on? Maybe I'm a big picture type...
Absolutely of no relation to the issue
Old May 26, 2010, 12:14 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've added this thread to the Sticky and retitled it for consistency with the LGA and JFK threads.

/Moderator
Old May 26, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I honestly wouldn't say that. It's a pretty even split. I'd still pick left because if you come from the South the view off the right is nothing to right home about anyway.
Just for the sake of correctness, the word is "write home" not "right home"
Old May 26, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Coming from Europe I agree with a two-thirds chance of view from the left, probably better than that early afternoon, given the congestion on the other side during those hours. If the weather is good it will be a spectacular view.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:20 pm

Only The Wind

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Coming from Europe I agree with a two-thirds chance of view from the left, probably better than that early afternoon, given the congestion on the other side during those hours. If the weather is good it will be a spectacular view.
Congestion is rarely (if ever) a factor in the direction of take offs

and landings at airports (under ATC control)

The direction of the wind is the deciding issue (against the wind)

Crosswinds are the worst to deal with (other than microbursts)
Old May 26, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by badatz
Just for the sake of correctness, the word is "write home" not "right home"
Old May 26, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Always pick the A seat for a chance at views on arrivals into EWR. You'll see either Manhattan (if landing from the north, runways 22) or the beautiful NJ Turnpike and Linden refinery (if landing from the south, runways 4). If they are using runway 29 (and they would only do that a couple of times a year, when the wind is howling 30-40+ kts from the NW), the A seat will still have the best view if coming from Europe. Only time the other side has the better view is coming from the south to land on runway 29. But those occasions are so rare you can ignore them.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:53 pm

Bayway

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Linden refinery

I believe you're thinking of the "Bayway" refinery in Linden

Originally it was Standard Oil's primary East coast facility

It has flown several flags since (but all of the same derivation)
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:15 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've added some more details to the OP - note that I do not fly via EWR, so these are guesses based on observation of flight paths on FlightAware, and I've not seen runway 11/29 in use yet - if anyone has additions/changes, please feel free to post them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.