Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

SuperShuttle from JFK to Manhattan? Recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more

Sorry for posting in this forum, but this is the closest one that I could think of. Has anyone here had experience using SuperShuttle out of JFK to Manhattan? Are they efficient and would you recommend them over a taxi or limo.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I've done SuperShuttle to and from EWR a few times and to JFK once.

All have been under duress (I wasn't in charge of the trip planning). The second-to-last time I did EWR-midtown, I was practically throwing up because of the rough driving and stop-and-go traffic--not pleasant while squeezed between two family members in the back row of the van. (Why on earth we didn't do a taxi--it would have been almost the same cost with three of us!--is beyond me, but it would have been FAR better!)

Because I get car sick when I'm not behind the wheel, and I'm a bit of a budget traveler, I'll choose the train over SS every time when I'm alone. When I'm with other people, I'd still prefer the train, but I might be able to be convinced to do a cab or car service if my share isn't much more than taking the train. As for SS? Never again.

SS is an option for those who fit a combination of a bunch of criteria:
  • need door-to-door service (due to tons of luggage or fear of rain or whatever)
  • are uncomfortable navigating public transportation or are going to/from where it is inconvenient to use
  • do not get carsick
  • are not in a hurry (SS can make several stops before your destination)
  • do not mind being smashed in a cramped van with a dozen plus other people
  • and want an option cheaper than a taxi

Since I travel light and am fine walking to/from the nearest subway station, and am perfectly comfortable using public transportation, SS is not for me. Unfortunately, I occasionally travel with people (usually family members) who fit all of the above criteria...and they overrule me.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I've done SS loooong time ago. Its slow, its cramped, the drivers suck, but they will get you from JFK to midtown. They also complain if you don't tip good too. If you don't have options, by all means it works. If you do, you might want to give the others a look
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There's a very useful guide to airport transportation in the Forum FAQ, in case you haven't looked there yet. Here's a link to a section that may be of interest (click here).
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by flying chef
Sorry for posting in this forum, but this is the closest one that I could think of. Has anyone here had experience using SuperShuttle out of JFK to Manhattan? Are they efficient and would you recommend them over a taxi or limo.
Word to the wise, never use Supeshuttle from any of the NY airports. Check out the sticky for the Airtran/Lirr option or Airtran/Subway option. A cab or cheaper car service will be a flat fare of $45 plus tip and tolls.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I use to drive into Manhattan every day. Without a doubt the majority of close calls we had accident wise were those Blue Super Shuttle vans. The drivers drive like they are on a race track. Like already mentioned, if you happen to be the 12th stop on the way in, you will spend a considerable amount of time saying "are we there yet?"

Consider the airport busses too, I've never had a problem with them. If they are going near where you need to be they are considerably less expensive then taxi's are.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:06 am

jackal hit it pretty much right on. SuperShuttle is a viable option if you need door-to-door transportation but can't afford a taxi.

Otherwise, it's not a good choice.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:09 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
AVOID SuperShuttle FROM a NYC airport!

Whatever benefit SS's direct to door service offers is FAR outweighed by the almost certain delays in getting to your destination.

Better to take the airport express bus

http://www.nyairportservice.com

into Manhattan (and switch to a cab if necessary) or a public transit option or if arriving on a Thursday or Frday look at the Hertz/Avis 1 way airport->Manhattan airport special rates.

also, iirc, the airport bus does make stops at midtown hotels.

Even my mother, who LOVES Super Shuttle has now changed her tune after the literally 3+ hr trip from JFK to the East Village.

Unlike trips TO the airport which IS a viable option, FROM the airports, Super Shuttle has no set departure time.

Worse yet, since they make you wait for enough passengers (going anywhere in Manhattan or lower Bronx). they then lock you into a meandering and traffic filled multi-hour extended tour of the city.

please please please...find another way and enjoy your visit
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flying chef
Why apologize for posting this in the NY forum? This is where to do it.

Advice? Don't take the Supershuttle. A taxi or limo will be a bit more expensive. If money is a concern, take other public transportation like the bus to Grand Central, Penn Station or Port Authority OR the Airtrain to the subway/LIRR at Jamaica into Penn Station.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Analise
I think it was originally posted in TravelBuzz! and moved without a moderator noting it as such. That's how I found it--I clicked on it in TravelBuzz! before it got moved. By the time I had finished writing and posting, it had been moved, and I was quite surprised to see I had ended up in the NY forum (which I don't subscribe to, although as one of my favorite places to visit, I've changed that!).
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Originally Posted by Analise
The post was originally posted in:
Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs/Partners (ie. Alamo, Enterprise, Sixt)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: CO, US, AA
SuperShuttle is in that ugly middle ground between inexpensive/slow and expensive/fast. You don't really get either benefit, especially if there's more than one person in your party.
NYC yellow cabs are a great deal to and from JFK for any group of two or more. Same goes for getting around Manhattan later at night.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW I've used SS a few times in the past RT from LGA and was okay with the service which was not quite the 3 hour ordeal someone mentioned. Sure, much depends on when you arrive and how many others are looking for rides but that's my experience.

I just booked them RT from EWR for an upcoming NYC in late May and suppose I fall into jackal's not in a hurry and don't get carsick travelers who aren't always uber comfortable navigating public transit despite the directions forum members have shared here.

As the FT saying goes YMMV...
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:38 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
When I last checked, Supershuttle wasn't much cheaper than a taxi. The Subway/AirTrain is cheaper, but realistically, the two times I tried it to and from JFK, it took nearly 2 hours to midtown Manhattan (near Central Park South) with all transfers and platform waiting time, door to door.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Hoc
The Subway/AirTrain is cheaper, but realistically, the two times I tried it to and from JFK, it took nearly 2 hours to midtown Manhattan (near Central Park South) with all transfers and platform waiting time, door to door.
I do it routinely in about an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.