Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk iPhone App Feedback (all versions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Please post feedback in here so we can more easily monitor it.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:09 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Plus1 for the Droid App. ^^

WithOUT half the screen being taken up by advertising, as I've already seen posts in other forums reporting on the iphone app.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
iPhone App

First of all, let me say thanks for the effort in getting this done!!!

My first impression, made on me IMMEDIATELY, is that you didn't include (or I couldn't FIND) the "MyFT" button.
If I missed it, please advise. If it's not there, then it is a critical mistake.

I know plenty of FTers. I know that they use "My FT" as the home page from which they navigate the site.

Dave
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: ExPlt 2011; AA LT PLT 2.337MM
Clean app or privacy abuse?

Hi. Love the forum. Is this application clean, or does it send information to third parties?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are too many ads - I don't think I've ever seen another iPhone app with 2 ads on every screen.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If you were to come out with a Blackberry app, around when do you think it would be available?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for creating this app! I installed it earlier today. So far, I like it - it is much easier to read and post.

Just a couple of things:
  • I agree with bseller - I really miss the MyFT option. Without it - there is a lot of navigation to each forum.
  • There are a lot of ads - but I also assume there is a reason for that. If there is a way to consolidate them somehow so they take up less real estate - that would be great.
I would love to see an iPad version of this as well - one that is specifically sized for the iPad

Thanks for the effort you put into this. It is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: ExPlt 2011; AA LT PLT 2.337MM
Privacy?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...mod=djemTECH_t
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:43 pm

Great app, thanks!
Dunno if it's just me, but when I make a search, clicking on the search results doesn't load the thread. Bug?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer
Plus1 for the Droid App. ^^

WithOUT half the screen being taken up by advertising, as I've already seen posts in other forums reporting on the iphone app.
We're working on an android version. I'll post details about it's launch as we get closer to launch.

Originally Posted by Abscam
Hi. Love the forum. Is this application clean, or does it send information to third parties?
This app only communicates with Flyertalk. It does not communicate with any third parties.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If you were to come out with a Blackberry app, around when do you think it would be available?
I'll try to get some answers around this.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bseller
My first impression, made on me IMMEDIATELY, is that you didn't include (or I couldn't FIND) the "MyFT" button.
If I missed it, please advise. If it's not there, then it is a critical mistake.

I know plenty of FTers. I know that they use "My FT" as the home page from which they navigate the site.

Dave
Originally Posted by COFlyerCLE
  • I agree with bseller - I really miss the MyFT option. Without it - there is a lot of navigation to each forum.
The MyFlyertalk issue was discussed with some of our beta-testers, so I'm going to paste in my response to them here:

MyFlyertalk is basically a branded version of the generic vBulletin UserCP, so I'm going to speak to this issue in that context, mostly because this application is being built generically for all vBulletin forums, not specifically for Flyertalk. I also want to make note that I was only in a few of the many meetings where the application's IU was discussed, so I'm speaking from a general understanding. For more details, I can try to get some of the product team in here. Since I was present at some of the meetings, I was able to give feedback along the way specific to my understanding of Flyertalk use-cases, which I hope will benefit the community and the mobile product.

The UserCP is a nice portal where users can view subscribed threads, PM's, and settings. It's a really great feature of vBulletin. When building the iPhone app, they bounced around some ideas on how to handle the UI, and they found that the concept of a single consolidated UserCP is difficult to do on a mobile device. They decided to split the functionallity into separate sections because it makes the user experience better.

Pretty much all of the functionallity is there-- when you sign in, the first thing you see is your subscribed threads. If you want to view PM's, you should always be two clicks away via the ubiquitous button at the top. You're "notifications" should give you heads up of the various things that you might want to look at.

Obviously, some features, like editing your settings, are missing. This is very common among native apps, as I think the only time I actually log into Facebook or Twitter are to manage these types of things. I don't know which of these missing features the development team plans to implement, but I feel that those decisions will be based on feasibility and feedback from users like you. The reason why the vBulletin team asked us to offer this to Flyertalk is because they want to know from first hand users what your opinions are regarding functional requirements.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Abscam
This app doesn't use any third party trackers and only transmits content to and from our API. The exception to this is with the ads, which use admob. I'll be honest that I don't know what information that is transmitted to admob, but I don't imagine it's anything more than what is send back and forth loading an average web-page. Now, Apple monitors things about all apps like crashes and whatnot, but there isn't anything that we can do about that.

I would like to assure anyone worried about privacy that there are no additional privacy concerns with using this app.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Kind of defeats the purpose of signing up for FT Premium if you include advertisements on the mobile version. Any chance of dumping the ads for those of us paying?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
what about losing the ads for flyertalk premium subscribers (ie same as for web site)
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Crashed three times in first 5 minutes on my iPhone 4 with latest iOS... Dumped it and went back to my notepad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.