Driving Boston-DC

Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:22 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Driving Boston-DC

Hi ... I'm bringing my mom to the US for her first time next month. I'm thinking of hiring a car once we arrive in BOS and then (after about a week enjoying this wonderful city) driving down to DC - as she's in her mid-80's I was thinking of taking it slow, maybe spend a night 'somewhere' on the way down ...

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best (scenic) route from Boston to DC?

Thanks as always for any ideas!

Regards

Robyn
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:06 am

Hi Robyn,

Unfortunately, the Boston-DC corridor is not the most scenic for a drive, and the direct routes vary between boring to downright ugly. You can get nicer drives if you take a really circuitous route (for example, from Boston, take Route 2 all the way to the Albany area, the southwest toward Allentown PA, then south toward DC), but that will involve a huge amount of driving, maybe twice as long as a direct BOS-DC trip.

You might consider the train as an alternative to flying. The Amtrak service from Boston to DC is about 6.5-7 hours, and the scenery is often quite nice. I'm only familiar with the Boston-NY portion, but you'll get numerous glimpses of the ocean and marshes, and you have an excellent view of Manhattan as you make your way in from the western end of Long Island
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: Some, not all.
+1 for amtrak.

My Mom did BOS-NYC by rail and said it was the best part of the vacation.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:00 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would definitely do the Amtrak option. I have done that a few times and love the trip.

You could even stop in Baltimore... do a few days at the Inner Harbor and surrounding area.... and then go to DC.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:06 am

There's actually a lot to see in between Boston and Washington. It's a modest drive in one day (440 miles or so), very easy in two.

How about heading south and looking at the lovely mansions and cliffs at Newport, R.I. (mid-morning of first day), then take in the harbor at Mystic, CT in the afternoon, then retire for the night in Bridgeport or Stamford.

On the second day, visit Lancaster, PA and see Amish country before dropping down into Baltimore and Washington.

Not a lot of time for extensive sightseeing, but this routing should be fairly easy and allow you to see some history and scenic beauty.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:17 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions ... I had thought of Amtrak, and should have mentioned (apologies) that we're starting in NYC and taking Amtrak to BOS (I'm not brave enough to even consider a car anywhere near NYC ) ... but a couple of days in Baltimore sounds promising ... at the end of deubster's leisurely drive ... thanks again folks!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Pooch
Thank you all for your suggestions ... I had thought of Amtrak, and should have mentioned (apologies) that we're starting in NYC and taking Amtrak to BOS (I'm not brave enough to even consider a car anywhere near NYC ) ... but a couple of days in Baltimore sounds promising ... at the end of deubster's leisurely drive ... thanks again folks!
A couple things as you suggest you would enjoy deubster's itinerary. If you stop in Mystic, take a ride out to Groton/Long Point to see more ocean and more beautiful houses before getting back on 95. And I would take Rt 15, the Merritt Parkway, which is much nicer than 95. Trucks arew not allowed and trees line the road. You can catch it after New Haven in Milford.

I think stopping in Stamford/Bridgeport may be a little early, and since you don't want anything to do with NYC driving (and I would guess the GWB and NJ Turnpike), I would get across the Tappan Zee Bridge and consider staying somewhere in New York or north Jersey off I 287 (no idea where, we always stay with friends in Westfield.) Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:26 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks OB One ... much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.