5 Hour Layover in Boston - What to Do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Hour Layover in Boston - What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
^ ^ to Angela's Cafe in East Boston. We got there around 7 or so and were the only ones in there. When we left, around 8:30 there was a line out the door. So word is definitely getting around. The waiter, I assume to be Luis, was very helpful and couldn't stop thanking us for coming. He wanted to know how we heard about the restaurant (Flyertalk of course) and where we were hailing from (Back Bay and Dorchester for the other couple). He was impressed we made the journey.

Definitely worth checking out. It's a bit out of the way, particularly if you're a tourist staying downtown, but for locals with a car it's definitely a great find.
magiciansampras,

If you find yourself in the same area again, one of my favorite Boston restaurants is near there, Rincon Limeno. Ceviche to die for, particularly the ceviche mixto or ceviche de pescado. Excellent fried fish also. Authentic Peruvian fish house. It's at Day Square, Chelsea at Saratoga, or about 4 blocks NE from Angela's. It is probably a few steps closer to Wood Island station than the Airport T station.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
What airline(s) are you flying on? 5 hrs is NOT enough time to go downtown. If you had 12+ hours I'd go for it, but 5 hrs. is not enough. I would just relax in the airport and just wait for the next flight. Just get some dinner and wait for your next flight. No need to go thru security again.
I'm arriving and departing with AA. I think I'll go in a see a bit of Boston while I'm travelling through. There's only so much time I can spend in the ACs on any given day!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm arriving and departing with AA. I think I'll go in a see a bit of Boston while I'm travelling through. There's only so much time I can spend in the ACs on any given day!
paul, I think this is too late for you, I got a bit confused by your "Saturday week" and think you meant that to be yesterday? Anyway, if so a suggestion for another time. The Back Bay is a beautiful and architecturally interesting place to walk. Make your way from South Station to Park St. Station on the Red Line. That will put you at the corner of the Common. Walk west along or thru the park to Arlington Street, where the streets will run in alphabetical order...Arlington, Berkely, Clarendon, etc. You could go west down Marlborough, to Mass Ave, turn and go over to Comm Ave, or another one. Newbury is a big shopping street I don't think is as pretty as other Back Bay Streets, but at Newbury and Hereford is a great place for brunch, Sonsie.

Hope you have (or had!) a great short visit to Boston.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Sonsie.
Ick.

The rest of your post, ^.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Ick.

The rest of your post, ^.
Really? I ate there last Sunday, caramel banana french toast with home fries like my Mom used to make. Different strokes, huh?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:28 pm

Really? I ate there last Sunday, caramel banana french toast with home fries like my Mom used to make. Different strokes, huh?
Yeah I guess I just prefer Stephanie's if one is going to brunch on Newbury.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'm arriving in BOS at 7:50am Saturday week, and leaving at 2:20pm. (inbound and outbound flights are domestic)

Any recommendations on what I could get up to around the airport, or in the City to pass 4/5 hours? Not really interested in getting something to eat - maybe see some of the sights and do some shopping?

What's the Saturday morning rush-hour like... do it exist?
Emphasis added.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:06 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
While we're talking about eateries on Newbury, is Cafe L'Aroma any good? I've seen they're fairly inexpensive (okay, downright cheap for Newbury), and it looks like they've gotten some good reviews on Yelp.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
While we're talking about eateries on Newbury, is Cafe L'Aroma any good? I've seen they're fairly inexpensive (okay, downright cheap for Newbury), and it looks like they've gotten some good reviews on Yelp.
It's decent. Nice little sandwiches, quiches, coffees, that kind of thing. They reheat stuff in the microwave, but it tastes alright. Using to be part of iDine, but I'm not sure if they are anymore.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:53 pm

paul, I think this is too late for you, I got a bit confused by your "Saturday week" and think you meant that to be yesterday? Anyway, if so a suggestion for another time. The Back Bay is a beautiful and architecturally interesting place to walk. Make your way from South Station to Park St. Station on the Red Line. That will put you at the corner of the Common. Walk west along or thru the park to Arlington Street, where the streets will run in alphabetical order...Arlington, Berkely, Clarendon, etc. You could go west down Marlborough, to Mass Ave, turn and go over to Comm Ave, or another one. Newbury is a big shopping street I don't think is as pretty as other Back Bay Streets, but at Newbury and Hereford is a great place for brunch, Sonsie.

Hope you have (or had!) a great short visit to Boston.
I was in Boston last Saturday. Had plenty of time for some shopping, sightseeing, eating and even a trip to the New England Aquarium.

The flight arrived just before 7:50am, and I was downtown before 8:20am. Nothing was open at that hour, so I walked around for a bit and went through Boston Common. Did some shopping as I made my way back up to the New England Aquarium. I spent about 45mins in there. Then I grabbed something to eat in Sel de la Terre just around the corner from the aquarium. I started my return to BOS at around 12:45pm and was in the BOS AA Admirals Club at 1:25pm.

One of the most enjoyable layovers I've ever had!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Are you kidding me??? The OP arrives at 750a. He can be downtown by 830a, either by taxi or on the T, and does not need to be back at Logan until about 100p, which means he can stay downtown until 1230p and easily make it back in time. That's four hours downtown, which is far preferable to five hours at Logan.
I was in Boston last Saturday. Had plenty of time for some shopping, sightseeing, eating and even a trip to the New England Aquarium.

The flight arrived just before 7:50am, and I was downtown before 8:20am. Nothing was open at that hour, so I walked around for a bit and went through Boston Common. Did some shopping as I made my way back up to the New England Aquarium. I spent about 45mins in there. Then I grabbed something to eat in Sel de la Terre just around the corner from the aquarium. I started my return to BOS at around 12:45pm and was in the BOS AA Admirals Club at 1:25pm.

I love being right!

In all seriousness, did you know to look for Sel de la Terra, or did you just stumble into it? It happens to be one of the better options in the downtown/waterfront area.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:18 pm

I love being right!

In all seriousness, did you know to look for Sel de la Terra, or did you just stumble into it? It happens to be one of the better options in the downtown/waterfront area.
To be honest, I stumbled upon it. I was going to go back and get something at the airport, but saw they were open and went in. Nice food, and at a reasonable price.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:13 pm

Glad to hear it all worked out! Sel de la Terre is nice but I've had way too many business lunches there so I'm sick of it.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:36 pm

I love being right!

Almost as much as I love you being wrong! No one will go into town for four hours and not want something to eat.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost as much as I love you being wrong! No one will go into town for four hours and not want something to eat.
Ok, but Sonsie???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.