Wiki Posts
Search

5 Hour Layover in Boston - What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
The only problem with a cab is that you're at the mercy of traffic, and you're not saving all that much time to begin with. The "T" is probably as reliable as it gets. Especially for airport to Faneuil Hall @ 4:30pm. At 9:30p, the traffic will have eased up.
Cabs top Faneuil Hall won't experience much traffic at all. The only traffic will be the tunnels, but coming from the airport direction it will be very quick.

The T would take a lot longer. The OP will be at Quincy Market in the time he'd get to the Blue Line station on the bus.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL, B6
The Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) is (relatively) new and an architectural gem on the Harbor, and is free after 4 pm on Thursday nights. You can get there by taking the Silver Line to the Courthouse station from the Airport as mentioned by previous posters. It is about a five minute walk from the station, on Northern Ave. There are several good restaurants within a five minute walk from the ICA, including the Legal Test Kitchen and Salvatore's, that are near the Harbor (for the view...) and would provide a nice meal before your return to the airport.

Enjoy!

Last edited by GoBob; Feb 8, 2008 at 2:44 pm Reason: poor spelling
Old Feb 9, 2008, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's too late for the OP, but I'll post for posterity's sake that Boston's best Mexican restaurant (historically that wasn't saying much, as Boston historically has had terrible Mexican food, but this place is great), Angela's Cafe is easily accessible from the airport.

Take the free MassPort Bus (bus 22, 33 or 55) to the Airport T station. When you get to the T station, enter the building, but immediately go up the stairs to the left, following the signs to Bremen Street. Exit the back of the station (again, there are signs directing you to Bremen Street) and walk directly across the small park, which will put you at the corner of Bremen Street and Brooks Street. Continue up Brooks Street seven (short) blocks, and Angela's Cafe will be on the left, at the corner of Brooks Street and Lexington Street.

Angela's is a wonderful family-owned storefront restaurant. Skip the regular non-Mexican menu, and order from the Mexican specialties listed on the blackboards over the kitchen, or from one of the daily specials. They are open Mon-Sat 7am-9pm, and Sun 7am-3pm.

My directions may make it sound difficult to get to, but it's remarkably easy. The entire trip from the terminal to the restaurant, including the short shuttle bus ride and the short walk, will take less than 30 minutes.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
It's too late for the OP, but I'll post for posterity's sake that Boston's best Mexican restaurant (historically that wasn't saying much, as Boston historically has had terrible Mexican food, but this place is great), Angela's Cafe is easily accessible from the airport.
Would you say it is worth a hike from Back Bay out to East Boston to try this place? Like you I lament the Mexican food we have (with a couple of exceptions like Ole in Inman Square).

Is it in a safe area?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Would you say it is worth a hike from Back Bay out to East Boston to try this place? Like you I lament the Mexican food we have (with a couple of exceptions like Ole in Inman Square).

Is it in a safe area?
Absolutely, it's worth it -- I've done it several times -- and it's safe.

If you take the T, take the Blue Line to the Airport Station. You then need to go upstairs and cross over to the inbound side and exit the station on that side (again, following the signs directing you to Bremen Street). Cross directly through the park to Bremen Street; you'll exit the park at the corner of Brooks Street. Then walk up Brooks Street seven short blocks to Lexington Street, and Angela's is on the corner.

If you drive, take the Callahan Tunnel. Bear right immediately as you exit the tunnel (following the sign that says East Boston) and head straight to the lights, with Santarpio's directly in front of you. At the lights, turn left on Chelsea Street. Proceed on Chelsea Street for about three blocks and turn left on Brooks Street. Angela's will be on the left six blocks up at the corner of Lexington Street. I've had no problem finding on-street parking on Brooks Street.

Remember, don't expect fancy, and don't even look at the printed menu. Just order off of the blackboard menu above the kitchen, or from one of the evening's specials. Luis (Angela's son) is very helpful. Also, as of right now they have no liquor license; soft drinks only.

Here's a map of the area: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...,0.014462&z=16

Last edited by Blumie; Feb 14, 2008 at 11:53 am
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:14 am

Beautiful. I think we my try this tomorrow and report back. We'll probably zipcar over there.

^
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:34 pm

^ ^ to Angela's Cafe in East Boston. We got there around 7 or so and were the only ones in there. When we left, around 8:30 there was a line out the door. So word is definitely getting around. The waiter, I assume to be Luis, was very helpful and couldn't stop thanking us for coming. He wanted to know how we heard about the restaurant (Flyertalk of course) and where we were hailing from (Back Bay and Dorchester for the other couple). He was impressed we made the journey.

Definitely worth checking out. It's a bit out of the way, particularly if you're a tourist staying downtown, but for locals with a car it's definitely a great find.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It's a bit out of the way, particularly if you're a tourist staying downtown, but for locals with a car it's definitely a great find.
I want to remind people that Angela's is just a short walk from the Airport T station on the blue line. So if you're stuck at the airport, or even if you're a local without a car, Angela's is a great option.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
I'm arriving in BOS at 7:50am Saturday week, and leaving at 2:20pm. (inbound and outbound flights are domestic)

Any recommendations on what I could get up to around the airport, or in the City to pass 4/5 hours? Not really interested in getting something to eat - maybe see some of the sights and do some shopping?

What's the Saturday morning rush-hour like... do it exist?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
I'm arriving in BOS at 7:50am Saturday week, and leaving at 2:20pm. (inbound and outbound flights are domestic)

Any recommendations on what I could get up to around the airport, or in the City to pass 4/5 hours? Not really interested in getting something to eat - maybe see some of the sights and do some shopping?

There is no Sat morning rush hour. If you get in a taxi at 750a, you'll be in town shortly after 800a. If you want to save some money by taking the subway into the city, you should get there by around 830a. Either way, you'll have plenty of time to do some sightseeing or shopping before heading back to the airport.

What's your primary interest? Museums? Historical sights? Shopping?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:52 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by paulmcgrath

As Blumie said, no Saturday morning rush-hour. You mentioned sights and shopping - one option is what's been somewhat discussed above: jump on one of the airport shuttles to the Blue Line Airport T (subway) station and take it to the Aquarium stop. The Faneiul Hall/Government Center area contains a lot of Boston's old history. You'll be able to see some of the older buildings, walk along the water and see Boston Harbor, and do a little shopping in the Faneuil Hall area.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JY1024
As Blumie said, no Saturday morning rush-hour. You mentioned sights and shopping - one option is what's been somewhat discussed above: jump on one of the airport shuttles to the Blue Line Airport T (subway) station and take it to the Aquarium stop. The Faneiul Hall/Government Center area contains a lot of Boston's old history. You'll be able to see some of the older buildings, walk along the water and see Boston Harbor, and do a little shopping in the Faneuil Hall area.
This is a very good suggestion. The Faneuil Hall area is in the heart of the Freedom Trail, more information about which can be found here:

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/index.html
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: DL
What airline(s) are you flying on? 5 hrs is NOT enough time to go downtown. If you had 12+ hours I'd go for it, but 5 hrs. is not enough. I would just relax in the airport and just wait for the next flight. Just get some dinner and wait for your next flight. No need to go thru security again.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
What airline(s) are you flying on? 5 hrs is NOT enough time to go downtown.
Are you kidding me??? The OP arrives at 750a. He can be downtown by 830a, either by taxi or on the T, and does not need to be back at Logan until about 100p, which means he can stay downtown until 1230p and easily make it back in time. That's four hours downtown, which is far preferable to five hours at Logan.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
What airline(s) are you flying on? 5 hrs is NOT enough time to go downtown. If you had 12+ hours I'd go for it, but 5 hrs. is not enough. I would just relax in the airport and just wait for the next flight. Just get some dinner and wait for your next flight. No need to go thru security again.

I'd say the OP could go into town with only 3 hours. 5 is more than enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.