Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanh
It's obviously cheaper in the long run for the Card, as they don't have to keep providing ticket stock.

The main issue for a visitor is that there's no way to get one at Logan (at least that I'm aware of). The vending machines at the Silver Line stops just have tickets.
That is what I heard. However, if one takes the bus to the real subway (blue line?), the attendant there can give you a card. That is where I got mine.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
No reason not to use the Charlie Card, but like some have said, they aren't available at every station.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:20 pm

is there a fee to buy the CharlieCard?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by kaiotes
is there a fee to buy the CharlieCard?
No, there's no charge.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Has anyone managed to get a CharlieCard at Logan recently?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by nbevan
Has anyone managed to get a CharlieCard at Logan recently?
If you can't find one there, access to the T is still free via the Silver line. Take it to South Station where you will definitely be able to get one.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Questions about bus fares and transfers

If I use my Charlie Card on the bus, what is the fare? Is there a free transfer to the subway or if I take a T train first, is there a free transfer to the bus?

Next, if our hotel is near the Silver Line, do we use our Charlie Card then and get a free transfer to the Red Line at South Station?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
Originally Posted by Analise
If I use my Charlie Card on the bus, what is the fare?
$1.50, except the Silver Line is treated like a subway, so $2

Is there a free transfer to the subway or if I take a T train first, is there a free transfer to the bus?
If you transfer from the bus to the train, your Charliecard will be charged 50 cents when you enter the subway so that your total fare paid is $2, which is the current subway fare. If you transfer from the train to the bus, it is free.

Next, if our hotel is near the Silver Line, do we use our Charlie Card then and get a free transfer to the Red Line at South Station?
Yes, you would use it to enter the Silver Line. The transfer to the Red Line at South Station is free.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Dm84.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Is the SL1 from Logan not still free? Been taking the Blue Line lately so I don't currently know.

If it is, transfer to the Red Line at South Station is free (post-payment) so essentially you get the entire T system for free if you board at Logan.

N.B. - that only applies tot he SL1. Not the Blue Line.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkey75
Is the SL1 from Logan not still free? Been taking the Blue Line lately so I don't currently know.

If it is, transfer to the Red Line at South Station is free (post-payment) so essentially you get the entire T system for free if you board at Logan.

N.B. - that only applies tot he SL1. Not the Blue Line.
I remember taking the Silver Line to the Red Line last year; the entire T system was free for that trip. I now know that when I board the Silver Line en route to South Station or BOS from our hotel near the water, we'll have to pay.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tkey75
Just to clarify, all of the subway portion of the T is free if you board the Silver Line at Logan and take it to South Station. Other busses, commuter rail, and boats are not free.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:13 am

Silver to Redline Free??

Do I have to take a specific bus at Terminal E to ride the Silver Line to Red line and am I still reading this correctly that the whole trip is free?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to transfer to red inbound to ultimately get to Alewife--we are seniors and will have luggage.

Thanks!!!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:43 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Silver Line takes you to the Red Line connection at South Station "inside the fare gates", so yes, it's free that way. You'll have to pay (once) going back to the airport.

Easy transfer, signage wise. There is an elevator, 50-50 it's working when you get there.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Silver to Red Line whole trip still free

When you get off the Silver bus at South Station, go toward
the rear of the platform and take the rear elevator to the Red Line
inbound; the reference points are Park, Washington, GC (closed
for renos), and State - going toward those is "inbound" and
away from them "outbound."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.