Reload this Page >

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by wildblue
For an upcoming trip to Boston I was able to buy a CharlieCard right off the MBTA website and got it in the mail in a few days. No shipping charge for regular USPS mail. They offered $5, $10 and $20 prevalued cards.
I came across this thread by pure luck. Thanks for that post, I've been trying to get a CharlieCard for months now. Granted, I haven't pressed too hard and checked at every stop, but any time I've asked I've been told they were out. I had no idea they could be ordered online.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Ok first of all Charlie is from the kingston trio song charlie on the MTA (now the MBTA) a guy who got stuck on the subway forever since he couldn't pay the nickle exit fare, his wife brought him lunch everyday etc etc.

It is very confusing the difference between the ticket and the card so your cofusion is not out of line

A charlie ticket is supposed to be a disposable ticket that let's you store a few rides on then you can throw out. Similar to a metrocard in NYC or CTA card in chicago.
A charlie card is a more permanant card that is for regular riders and the T expects people to hang on to these forever and keep money on there at all times. When the system first swithced over to the charlie system charlie cards were handed out at stations now to get one you have to go to a T customer service desk. Why is it cheaper to use this? No idea my only assumption is that the T makes some $ on the float that people leave on their card and since the card is supposed to be for regular riders the T expects these riders to have more float

For the record I think this makes no sense. So the lady was reluctant to give you a card since you were going for a few rides and then would probably throw the card out, not what it's designed for. The guy was beind nice and I would have done the same thing. Like I said it makes no sense charging 2 different prices. Probably boston's attitude of having an inside track for people in the know for just about everything
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by talltravel
[SIZE=1]A charlie ticket is supposed to be a disposable ticket that let's you store a few rides on then you can throw out. Similar to a metrocard in NYC or CTA card in chicago.
Actually, the MTA wants riders to keep re-using their metrocards. They are good for at least a year. Not that they offer any financial incentive to keep restocking the same card time after time.

A charlie card is a more permanant card that is for regular riders and the T expects people to hang on to these forever and keep money on there at all times. When the system first swithced over to the charlie system charlie cards were handed out at stations now to get one you have to go to a T customer service desk. Why is it cheaper to use this? No idea my only assumption is that the T makes some $ on the float that people leave on their card and since the card is supposed to be for regular riders the T expects these riders to have more float

For the record I think this makes no sense. So the lady was reluctant to give you a card since you were going for a few rides and then would probably throw the card out, not what it's designed for. The guy was beind nice and I would have done the same thing. Like I said it makes no sense charging 2 different prices. Probably boston's attitude of having an inside track for people in the know for just about everything
Thanks for your explanation. I thought it was an "attitude" issue as well.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
Actually, the MTA wants riders to keep re-using their metrocards. They are good for at least a year. Not that they offer any financial incentive to keep restocking the same card time after time.
The Charlie Ticket is reloadable, too, just like a MetroCard.

CharlieTickets, CharlieCards and MetroCards all provide incremental revenue to the transportation agencies because (1) people lose them, (2) people don't lose them, but don't use them either, notwithstanding a positive balance, and (3) as mentioned, the agency gets the float on the money.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
The Charlie Ticket is reloadable, too, just like a MetroCard.

CharlieTickets, CharlieCards and MetroCards all provide incremental revenue to the transportation agencies because (1) people lose them, (2) people don't lose them, but don't use them either, notwithstanding a positive balance, and (3) as mentioned, the agency gets the float on the money.
Is that the same for retail gift cards?

If people lose their unlimited metrocard, the MTA will replace it. So says their advertisements as I have not had the misfortune of losing my card...yet! Is that the same for Charlie Cards? Will some of them also be replaced if lost?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
Is that the same for retail gift cards?

If people lose their unlimited metrocard, the MTA will replace it. So says their advertisements as I have not had the misfortune of losing my card...yet! Is that the same for Charlie Cards? Will some of them also be replaced if lost?
It is the same for retail gift cards. They have been a huge boon to retailers, particularly ones, like Starbucks, that have been more effective in getting people to use them. What gets me comfortable using a Starbucks card is that they allow you to register it on line and, like the MetroCard, you can get a refund/credit if you lose your card. I actually did get a credit once from the MTA when I lost a monthly MetroCard. The entire process -- a 5-minute telephone call -- was quite easy. I don't know if the MBTA offers the same service -- I've never seen it advertised -- but it would be great if both the MTA and the MBTA offered a service like Starbucks: you register your card on line, and then can program automatic replenishment. (Come to think of it, my EZ Pass works the same way. When the balance falls below $10, they automatically add another $25.)
Old May 20, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
So I'm not normally one to jump on the bandwagon and stereotype government workers, but this just cracked me up. There was a very minor accident in Boston today in which two trolleys collided:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...s_hurt_in.html

The accident resulted in minor injuries to seven passengers and two trolley drivers. Given the hour, you have to assume that there were at least 200 people on the trolleys (each trolley consists of two cars, so four cars total, which each probably had at least 100 people, but I'm being conservative in saying 200 total). So approximately 3.5% of the passengers reported injuries. On the other hand, of the four drivers, two, or 50%, reported injuries. I can only imagine that the two injured drivers have visions of life-long disability payments in their future!

There was once a bus-on-bus accident at Melnea Cass and Tremont. there were six passengers on one bus and eleven on the other. When emergency vehicles arrived, there were at about a hundred "victims" lying in the street, moaning in "agony". There was also a really bad train crash at Back Bay station. Thousands of "passengers," more that could have possibly been onboard filed claims. The lawsuit fraud is unreal and the MBTA is known by plaintiff's personal injury lawyers (I worked for one in law school) as an easy mark.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't find this anywhere...on the MBTA website, it says the 7-Day pass is based on the day/time of the first use. So, I am guessing is is the full 7 * 24 = 168 hours.

How about the 1 day pass? Is it 1 service day (e.g. 5 AM-1AM next day), 1 calendar day (00:00-23:59) or any 24 hour period?

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Nov 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:58 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I believe it is for a single calendar day, not a 24-hour period.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I can't find this anywhere...on the MBTA website, it says the 7-Day pass is based on the day/time of the first use. So, I am guessing is is the full 7 * 24 = 168 hours.

How about the 1 day pass? Is it 1 service day (e.g. 5 AM-1AM next day), 1 calendar day (00:00-23:59) or any 24 hour period?

Thanks.
Just to answer my own question - now that I just returned from BOS...

The 1 day card is good for a 24 hour period also ^
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:21 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by username
Just to answer my own question - now that I just returned from BOS...

The 1 day card is good for a 24 hour period also ^
Wow, that's good to know! I thought for sure I had tried one the next morning after buying it the previous afternoon and it didn't work for me, but I'm glad it worked for you! ^
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lo2e
Wow, that's good to know! I thought for sure I had tried one the next morning after buying it the previous afternoon and it didn't work for me, but I'm glad it worked for you! ^
My card had the expiration time printed on it. It also did not work in lots of turnstyles for some reason. They say just follow other people into the station if there is no attendant - since the expiration time is clearly printed on the ticket, I suppose that is OK.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
I've had similar issues with my CharlieCard. Sometimes you just need to go to a different kiosk and tap again.

As for the, there are two types that I have seen. CharlieTickets that are a thicker plastic, such as ones that would be mailed out as Commuter Rail passes, seem to read the magnetic stripe better than the CharlieTickets you purchase from fare vending machines. The thicker ones seem to go in, get read and spit out. The thinner onces from fare vending machines seem to dance for a bit before they come out.

As for the reasoning for the difference in fare, I believe it is to give an incentive for people to use the CharlieCards since it is much faster to get through fare gates or onto buses. CharlieTickets easily take at least twice as long or more to read.

When you have a large gathering like a Bruins game or Red Sox game it is far more efficient to get all those people through the fare gates with CharlieCards. Then, the MBTA gets the bonus income of people who don't care enough to get a CharlieCard.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:45 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by BOSstorageguy

As for the reasoning for the difference in fare, I believe it is to give an incentive for people to use the CharlieCards since it is much faster to get through fare gates or onto buses. CharlieTickets easily take at least twice as long or more to read.
I thought it was also as the Cards are reusable and the tickets are disposable, so it's a "greener" choice, and cheaper in the long run to use the hard plastic card.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:25 am

It's obviously cheaper in the long run for the Card, as they don't have to keep providing ticket stock.

The main issue for a visitor is that there's no way to get one at Logan (at least that I'm aware of). The vending machines at the Silver Line stops just have tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.