Wiki Posts
Search

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Because at the end of the day, the MBTA just is not particularly well run. People in NY like to complain about the MTA, but IME the MTA is far better run than is the MBTA.
Now I can see why.

Originally Posted by chewy3
We should be complaining why the T closes at 12:30am - not an insignificant $.30.
There's probably someone equally wondering why anyone would want to travel past 12:30! Both make me wonder who's running your public transportation!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
Both make me wonder who's running your public transportation!
Two words - political patronage - from Republicans at the top to Democratic operatives all through the system.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
There's probably someone equally wondering why anyone would want to travel past 12:30! Both make me wonder who's running your public transportation!
To make matters worse, Boston cabs totally suck, particularly in comparison to NYC cabs.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

To make matters worse, Boston cabs totally suck, particularly in comparison to NYC cabs.
Can you hail a cab in Boston? The only taxis I've ever taken were from BOS and that I've only done maybe twice.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Can you hail a cab in Boston? The only taxis I've ever taken were from BOS and that I've only done maybe twice.
You can, but it is easier in certain places than others. Boston is a pretty small city, though, so it is usually isn't a long walk to cab stand or hotel.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm not normally one to jump on the bandwagon and stereotype government workers, but this just cracked me up. There was a very minor accident in Boston today in which two trolleys collided:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...s_hurt_in.html

The accident resulted in minor injuries to seven passengers and two trolley drivers. Given the hour, you have to assume that there were at least 200 people on the trolleys (each trolley consists of two cars, so four cars total, which each probably had at least 100 people, but I'm being conservative in saying 200 total). So approximately 3.5% of the passengers reported injuries. On the other hand, of the four drivers, two, or 50%, reported injuries. I can only imagine that the two injured drivers have visions of life-long disability payments in their future!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: Independent
Well, the drivers ARE sitting right at the ends of the train, no? Not to mention they don't have anything else to absorb the shock and so end up falling over. From what I heard there were a few injuries a little more than minor, but not too bad. One of those drivers isn't going to be getting much of anything, I am afraid.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Quick question....does the Charlie card machine allow me to refill it using my Amex or must I have cash? I'm leaving early tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:23 pm

I never understood this thread, since the difference between the Card and the Ticket are explained on the website. Personally, I always want to make sure I pay the lowest for transit when I travel, so I research it ahead of time by going to the transit company website.

And in the same vein, yes, credit cards are accepted. It does not specify AmEx on the page, but I see Visa/Mastercard/Discover in one of the photos.
http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=5596

BillJ
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick question....does the Charlie card machine allow me to refill it using my Amex or must I have cash? I'm leaving early tomorrow morning. Thanks.
You can use your AMEX. Have a great weekend! And if you happen to be on the 600a US Airways LGA-BOS shuttle on Friday, say hi to me in seat 2D.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wcj1
I never understood this thread, since the difference between the Card and the Ticket are explained on the website. Personally, I always want to make sure I pay the lowest for transit when I travel, so I research it ahead of time by going to the transit company website.
You should consider reading threads you post to as carefully as you read transit company websites. The discussion was not about which method was cheaper -- Analise knew the card was cheaper than the ticket -- rather the discussion was about why it was cheaper which, IIRC, is not explained on the website.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:00 am
Original Poster

You can use your AMEX. Have a great weekend! And if you happen to be on the 600a US Airways LGA-BOS shuttle on Friday, say hi to me in seat 2D.
I'll be on the other shuttle! I certainly would have introduced myself if we had been on the same flight.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
"T" trip report

Thought I'd weigh in with my experience. Spouse and I scored a good airfare for MLK weekend getaway to BOS. It had been several years since my last trip to BOS, so I checked the "T" website ahead of time. I read up on the differences between the "Card" and the "Ticket". I decided I wouldn't be using the "T" enough to justify getting a "Card", but it the opportunity presented itself I would get one anyway.

Upon arrival at Logan Airport, found the boarding area for the Silver Line. Located "T" vending machine but as expected, did not see option for "Card". Saw no point in buying a "Ticket", so just paid cash ($2) on board. Bills did not load easily into farebox but driver told us to go have a seat and he would load them for us...which he proceeded to do while weaving through the traffic to the next terminal. Yikes, but good customer service nonetheless. Rode Silver Line to Red Line to hotel near Charles/MGH stop.

The next day (Sunday) was spent mostly on foot, but we planned to ride the ferry that departs near the USS Constitution for the trip back to Long Wharf. I knew from reading the website that this could cost $1.70, and that "Cards" and "Tickets" were not accepted. Spouse and I were careful to have exact change ready. Upon boarding, we were directed to a cash register (!) where we paid our fare. As it turned out, exact change was not needed. The ferry ride was quick and enjoyable, and eliminated having to reverse course on foot. It was our only "T" ride of the day.

On Monday, we spent the morning on foot. It was cold, so we headed back to our hotel to warm up and the checked out around 11:30. We walked back to the Charles/MGH stop intending to once again pay $2 cash for the trip back to Logan. A station agent noticed me slowly punching the appropriate buttons at the vending machine, and rushed out and ask how many fares we wanted. I told him two one-way fares, and he whipped out a Charlie Card, loaded up $3.40 (using our 4 one-dollar bills), handed us the change and the card, and told us how to enter the turnstile with it. So we unexpectedly saved 60 cents and had a good customer service experience to boot.

Our flight wasn't until 4, so we thought we'd ride the "T" system a bit for fun. I wanted to head down and check out the Mattapan trolley line. It turns out it's a relatively quick ride from Ashmont to Mattapan, though quite scenic with the snow in the wooded areas along the track. At Mattapan, we crossed the platform as the trolley circled the loop and boarded for the return trip. Since there was no vending machine to load more money onto our shiny new Charlie Card, I got out 4 more one-dollar bills and prepared to pay cash.

The trolley operator said if we were transfering to the Red Line at Ashmont, we should just pay there (?). At Ashmont, the station is under construction and we could not spot a vending machine, so we tried to pay cash at the "turnstile" that you pass through. (I say "turnstile" because there is no physical barrier...simply a touchpad of sorts...hard to explain). There was a slot marked "bills and coins" but it was covered over on all of the machines. I was perplexed...not wanting to fare jump, but not knowing how to pay the fare. A "T" employee in a plastic booth saw our confusion, and waved us through. So effectively we got a free ride from Mattapan to Logan Airport.

For transit buffs, the Mattapan ride, albeit short, is worth going out of your way for. The trolleys are vintage but speedy. It's a great ride.

Long story short...I now have a Charlie Card that I got through no particular effort and will have no particular need for in the foreseeable future. Kind of ironic considering the OP's experience.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
My first ride on the T was an adventure. I arrived the weekend they closed State St. Station, so there were no direct transfers from the Blue line to the Orange line. I rode all the T lines just to go from Airport to Roxbury Crossing!

Things were slightly disorganized at the Airport station. People knew how to take the shuttle to the T station, but once at the station, they had no clue what to do. Luckily, I found the agent hiding in his booth, and was able to pick up the Charlie Card. Quite a few people followed my lead, and hopefully saved themselves $0.30.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:07 pm

For an upcoming trip to Boston I was able to buy a CharlieCard right off the MBTA website and got it in the mail in a few days. No shipping charge for regular USPS mail. They offered $5, $10 and $20 prevalued cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.