Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From NJ to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

From NJ to Maine

Hi guys, we'll be driving from New jersey to Maine. We're planning to spend 4 days in Maine. What's the best way to spend it?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Well, depends on what you like to do, who's in your group and what time of the year.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Check my thread, this is how I will do it.

1st day - Drive to Portland, arrived at afternoon, eat at eventide or Street & co
2nd day - Portland - Portland head light house, Casco bay line ferry
3rd day - Go to Bar harbor using route 1 and route 3, visit Mt Battie & Rockland breakwater light house
4th day - Bar harbor, Cadillac Mt, Jordan's pond - go home.
BradS367 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Different strokes for different folks. Without knowing why you chose Maine and what you like to do on vacation it's impossible for us to guess the right answer.
BradS367 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vaucluse

1st day - Drive to Portland, arrived at afternoon, eat at eventide or Street & co
3rd day - Go to Bar harbor using route 1 and route 3, visit Mt Battie & Rockland breakwater light house
Street & Co is totally overrated. There are better restaurants if you're only going to go to one or two places.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Vaucluse

A fine itinerary - but others will want to hang out around Ogunquit, take in a show at the Playhouse, shop for antiques, eat lobster in Perkin's Cove and sit on the beach in Wells. I agree with those who said we're just whistling in the dark until we get more information.
BradS367 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:03 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Welcome to FT, BradS367.

Agreed that we should wait for more guidance from the OP before making further suggestions, and I will also point out that according to his/her public profile, the OP has not been back on FT since about 20+ minutes after making the post, so it is likely s/he has not seen the suggestions offered so far (unless the OP was logged out while doing so).
BradS367 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for these great suggestions! Well, it is just me and my spouse and the aim is to explore best tourist places in Maine. I am going to list down all the suggestions and make a fine itinerary incorporating all the suggestions. thanks again guys!

Last edited by BradS367; Aug 21, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by BradS367
Thanks for these great suggestions! Well, it is just me and my spouse and the aim is to explore best tourist places in Maine. I am going to list down all the suggestions and make a fine itinerary incorporating all the suggestions. thanks again guys!
Maine's got a lot going on (seriously), and is fairly spread out, so you're better off narrowing it to things like food/beer, beaches, hiking, etc. If you're in doubt, spend the whole 4 days in Portland if you skew toward food/beer, or the whole 4 in MDI/Bar Harbor if you want the outdoors.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Street & Co is totally overrated. There are better restaurants if you're only going to go to one or two places.
This guy's got it.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
This guy's got it.
I would definitely do Eventide, although you're going to likely end up waiting. As for Street & Co., their lobster diavolo is amazing (but you really need at least 3 people to tackle one order), but everything else was okay, if not mind-blowing. My general opinion of food in PWM is that the lobster rolls are fantastic, but everything else is otherwise not quite at the same level that I could get in NYC.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would definitely do Eventide, although you're going to likely end up waiting. As for Street & Co., their lobster diavolo is amazing (but you really need at least 3 people to tackle one order), but everything else was okay, if not mind-blowing. My general opinion of food in PWM is that the lobster rolls are fantastic, but everything else is otherwise not quite at the same level that I could get in NYC.
I won't debate NYC versus Portland, but we're talking about a city of 65k people. If we're even having a conversation comparing the two, I think we're doing very well! One thing I'd say in Portland's favor is there's less noise. Competition is ridiculous up here, as are rents for commercial kitchens, so there are very few bad restaurants - the ones that continue to exist likely own their land. It's very hard to get a bad meal. I do think places like Eventide and Central Provisions will give anyone, anywhere, a run in their categories.

I've said this a lot offline, but NYC, SF, DC, Chicago (probably in that order) are going to be the best food cities in the country. But right after that, Portland (ME), Portland (OR), Philly, LA are probably in the next tier - in no particular order. It's subjective, but that's my take.

All that said, Eventide is the best oyster bar on the east coast right now, and I think if you extend the area a bit to Maine in general, it's pretty hard to find better beer.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
All that said, Eventide is the best oyster bar on the east coast right now, and I think if you extend the area a bit to Maine in general, it's pretty hard to find better beer.
No doubt that PWM has good food, but to me - the only reason I would skip up for a weekend trip is to OD on lobster rolls (and possibly oysters). I wholeheartedly agree that Eventide is excellent (better than either Upstate or Cull & Pistol, my 2 go-to oyster bars in Manhattan). Beer in Maine - no contest that PWM has the best. That said, it's not the best Portland with beer (PDX is definitively better IMO).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd put Scales up there too - just depends on the kind of vibe you want.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
No doubt that PWM has good food, but to me - the only reason I would skip up for a weekend trip is to OD on lobster rolls (and possibly oysters). I wholeheartedly agree that Eventide is excellent (better than either Upstate or Cull & Pistol, my 2 go-to oyster bars in Manhattan). Beer in Maine - no contest that PWM has the best. That said, it's not the best Portland with beer (PDX is definitively better IMO).
Meh. Pacific NW beers tend to be hop bombs. I like the New England style better.

Moving to PWM is what made me into a beer person. (Plus I married a guy who doesn't drink wine because he's apparently nuts )
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Moving to PWM is what made me into a beer person. (Plus I married a guy who doesn't drink wine because he's apparently nuts )
How long has it been now….2+ years? How do you like living in (or near) Portland?

Last edited by Analise; Aug 29, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.