Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

BOS>Bar Harbor>BOS , 4 days, 3 nights in Mid-Oct.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS>Bar Harbor>BOS , 4 days, 3 nights in Mid-Oct.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
We were up that way the weekend before last. It's construction season so maybe I've just tuned it out, but I don't recall a ton of traffic. I think we did it later on Saturday, though, when most people coming in for the week were already there. Maybe we just got lucky, though.
Maybe you did get lucky as I was working in Bar Harbor (that right there was a dream!) the week before Memorial Day and Route 3 was closed into Bar Harbor and was told that would be the case for MONTHS including the summer. The Rt 3 closure blocked traffic going over the bridge at Trenton and on 102. There was also construction at the end of 233 by the Sound which piled traffic. I would hope by autumn, 3 will be open again.

Originally Posted by philemer
Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll also be able to do some awesome leaf-peeping near the coast (mid-Oct.)
As lo2e said, you'll see something at least on the drive to/from Boston. We were in the Sebago Lake region in 2015 (I think) during Columbus Day weekend and the foliage was SPECTACULAR! It was late that year because the cooler temps arrived later.

Nobody can predict however Maine Foliage website keeps track of it in season. It is updated every Wednesday starting in September until the leaves are all down. I keep track of it as we might want to take a last-minute long weekend to enjoy the season. You might find this website very helpful, philemer.

Last edited by Analise; Jun 15, 2017 at 5:49 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Maybe you did get lucky as I was working in Bar Harbor (that right there was a dream!) the week before Memorial Day and Route 3 was closed into Bar Harbor and was told that would be the case for MONTHS including the summer. The Rt 3 closure blocked traffic going over the bridge at Trenton and on 102. There was also construction at the end of 233 by the Sound which piled traffic. I would hope by autumn, 3 will be open again.
Yeah I think we got lucky then. It's funny, had I actually known all of that work was going on, I would have bagged the trip. For once my ignorance paid off!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
As lo2e said, you'll see something at least on the drive to/from Boston. We were in the Sebago Lake region in 2015 (I think) during Columbus Day weekend and the foliage was SPECTACULAR! It was late that year because the cooler temps arrived later.

Nobody can predict however Maine Foliage website keeps track of it in season. It is updated every Wednesday starting in September until the leaves are all down. I keep track of it as we might want to take a last-minute long weekend to enjoy the season. You might find this website very helpful, philemer.
I have seen that website in the past but forgotton about it. Thanks for the reminder. I hope Oct. 12-14 isn't too late.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
I hope you're right - I think typically mid-October in that area is near the tail end of the foliage season, so if the cards fall just right, you might still catch some amazing color. If they don't, you might end up with more yellows/browns, which still won't be awful looking but not quite the full array of colors that are possible.

The good news is, coming up from BOS you should drive through somewhere where it is still peak color, my guess is that you're more likely to see it in coastal NH or far southern Maine.
Thanks. We're keeping our fingers & toes crossed. Mother Nature is a fickle creature.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

now 5 days and 4 nights for NH and Maine

We'll be leaving BOS on a Thur. morning (10/12) so maybe we should see the coastal areas on the way north (less traffic than the weekend) and then take the Interstate back to BOS on Sunday afternoon when we leave Bar Harbor. Make sense?
Change of plans: Adding an extra day and will be leaving BOS on Wed., 10/11. We will be puttering around Portsmouth, NH for a few hours because my family lived there in the late 1950s & early 1960s. Thinking of spending first night between Portland and Boothbay Harbor before heading to Bar Harbor area for 3 nights. Sound like a plan? The extra day will be enjoyable for sure.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Change of plans: Adding an extra day and will be leaving BOS on Wed., 10/11. We will be puttering around Portsmouth, NH for a few hours because my family lived there in the late 1950s & early 1960s. Thinking of spending first night between Portland and Boothbay Harbor before heading to Bar Harbor area for 3 nights. Sound like a plan? The extra day will be enjoyable for sure.
Sounds like a good plan. If you were to consider overnighting in Brunswick, I recommend the Daniel Inn which is a LOVELY hotel just off Route 1 on the Androscoggin River. I stayed there last month. Brunswick is a college town (home of Bowdoin College). Boothbay Harbor is loaded with quaint B&Bs but I can't recommend a particular property because we stay with friends in town.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sounds like a good plan. If you were to consider overnighting in Brunswick, I recommend the Daniel Inn which is a LOVELY hotel just off Route 1 on the Androscoggin River. I stayed there last month. Brunswick is a college town (home of Bowdoin College). Boothbay Harbor is loaded with quaint B&Bs but I can't recommend a particular property because we stay with friends in town.
Thanks for the thought. We're flexible so probably won't make plans for the first night (I can't believe I said that). It'll depend on whether or not I can track down any childhood friends in Portsmouth area.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Hi Phil, welcome to the lovely corner of the world that is our home

Foliage generally peaks in the high country (VT/NH/ME mountains) around the last week of September, then every week the color creeps closer to the coast. You'll probably hit on or near peak. I'm always surprised in Boston when I think..hmm, where is the color, than BAM, it shows up in early October. Remember, though that the ME coast has more pine than deciduous trees, but its still a great time of year to be in NE. Warning, it will be cold at night so bring your mittens

That weekend, if I recall correctly is Columbus day. You absolutely want to take the scenic route north, and take 95 back. Plan for traffic to be heavy on Sunday coming back.

My recommendations are as follows:
1. Keep on 95 north, taking 295 bypass. Get off at the Brunswick exit to get onto Rt 1 (southern part of Rt 1 is not nearly as quaint).
2. If you really want to stop in Freeport, go to Gritty McDuff's for a beer. Better than shopping (and the food is good too)
2. Stop in Wiscasset, eat at Red's (left hand side before you cross the river). Take a half hour to stroll around town, there are a TON of well preserved late 18th/early 19th century homes.

Staying overnight in MidCoast Maine. You have several options (going from South to North, my favorite spots are as follows)

1. Boothbay Harbor. Big sailing destination, still retains some local charm. Good selection of restaurants and B&Bs. Topside Inn is always nice. Five Gables in East Boothbay is a bit off the beaten path (5 minute drive, great views) and Atlantic Ark Inn has GREAT harbor views. Lobster Dock is a good place to eat. Go candlepin bowling (a NE tradition).

2. Newcastle/Damariscotta. Quieter than Boothbay, more of a fishing village vibe. Pretty much 1 main drag about 3 blocks long. My favorite B&B closed up shop, but there is still the Newcastle Inn. A little too 'chintzy' for me, but still a solid B&B. Round Top ice cream has GREAT blueberry ice cream.

3. Pemaquid Peninsula. Quiet and GOREGOUS. And off the beaten path. Take 129/130 S from Newcastle and drive 'til you can't drive no more. Christmas Cove (South of South Bristol) has my vote for the prettiest spot in all of Maine. The Bradley Inn in New Harbor is upscale with GREAT food (though it just changed hands, so buyer beware). Hotel Pemaquid is more spartan (2 minutes down the road from Bradley) but its oceanfront. Pemaquid Lobster Coop is very basic, but good food with great views.

4. Camden: Most similar to Boothbay in that it is very much a sailing mecca (Windjammers). I love the Hartstone (GREAT food, but hard on Rt 1, try to stay in the guest house). Maine Stay is probably my favorite, just north of town, set back from the road with a great garden. Camden Deli (breakfast and sandwiches to die for) and dinner at the Heartstone are a must. Personally, I prefer Camden to Boothbay, but that's me.

5. Blue Hill Pennisula. 2nd only to Pemaquid Point for my favorite vacation spot. You must drive the Orland>Castine>Brooklin>Blue Hill>Surry route. One of my favorite drives ever. If you like Maritime history, stay in Castine at either the Castine Inn or the Manor Inn (latter is a bit more rustic, think Teddy Roosevelt. The public rooms are gorgeous). Eat at Pentagoet (dinner), the Pub at Manor Inn or Dennet's Wharf (lunch, so you can take advantage of the great view). Oakland House in Brooklin has waterfront, rustic Maine cabins with wood burning fireplaces (too bad the main inn has since closed, it was gorgeous). Blue Hill is a great small town (think of a mini, less toursty Camden). Blue Hill Inn or the Farmhouse are great choices. There also used to be a great lobster pound on 175 between Brooklin and Blue Hill, not sure if its still there. Bagaduce Lunch is excellent (and right near the ever so famous Bagaduce reversing falls).

6. Mount Desert Island. Personally, I avoid Bar Harbor as it's just too crowded and touristy (particularly with the cruise ship hoardes). I like Southwest Harbor because you are still in the park, Bar Harbor is a 5/10 minute drive and there are a LOT fewer day trippers. I usually rent private houses, but there is no shortage of nice B&Bs in either place. Cafe This Way, 2 Cats, Beals, Charlottes's, Sips, Peekytoe, and Common Good are all solid choices for grub. Bring your sturdy walking or hiking shoes, Gorham Mountain Trail is my favorite..you can also rent bikes for some trips on the Park's carriage trails (and riding on Southwest peninsula...I would keep to the carriage trails on northwest side...too busy on the main roads).

Book now, though...the best B&Bs will book up in advance!

PS...rent a convertible if you can. Cruising with the top down in Maine is just incredible. So much to see (even if you have to wear a coat and have the heat/heated seats on). Shoot, now you make me want to take another road trip

Last edited by navi_jen; Jul 7, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many thanks, navi_jen for the awesome info. Better than Fodors & Frommers. I'm going to print this out and take it with me in my travel bag. ^ Will come back with a question or two after I absorb it all.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

The only disagreement I'll have is that if you're stopping in Freeport for beer, you're far better off going to Maine Beer Company rather than Gritty's. Actually, scratch that, you should go to Gritty's for a beer, then MBC. Gritty's is one of the brewers that started it all up here, and without them, breweries like MBC might not exist. Gritty's beer isn't bad - it's actually good - but MBC and others have taken it up to another level.

The beer scene up here is ridiculous, and I'm not even that into beer.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The only disagreement I'll have is that if you're stopping in Freeport for beer, you're far better off going to Maine Beer Company rather than Gritty's. Actually, scratch that, you should go to Gritty's for a beer, then MBC. Gritty's is one of the brewers that started it all up here, and without them, breweries like MBC might not exist. Gritty's beer isn't bad - it's actually good - but MBC and others have taken it up to another level.

The beer scene up here is ridiculous, and I'm not even that into beer.
PMW...you are right, Maine Beer Company's beer is much better (particularly if you like IPAs). It's just a tradition that we go to Gritty's before Lobsterman, so I totally forget about MBC. My brother is the beer guy, I'm much better with wine recommendations!

Phil...you are welcome. I worked for, then owned my own, bike touring company before I became a suit. I love being able to share all my local knowledge with folks (karma and all that). Feel free to ask as many questions (or PM me) as you'd like!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by navi_jen
PMW...you are right, Maine Beer Company's beer is much better (particularly if you like IPAs). It's just a tradition that we go to Gritty's before Lobsterman, so I totally forget about MBC. My brother is the beer guy, I'm much better with wine recommendations!
Yeah I don't want to make it sound like Gritty's isn't good or anything - it's still solidly above-average beer. People travel from all over the country for MBC, though. Gritty's is one of the handful that started our scene, and is the very first place I went in Maine, the first time we came up as tourists before eventually moving up here. I will always have fond memories of the Old Port location for that reason.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed on the beer comments 100%. I love MBC (though all their beers have a very similar taste profile). Personally, I just get a Lunch and don't worry about it.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Agreed on the beer comments 100%. I love MBC (though all their beers have a very similar taste profile). Personally, I just get a Lunch and don't worry about it.
I pretty much like MBC because of Lunch. I'm not a huge IPA (or generally a hoppy beer) fan, but Lunch is one of my favorite beers of any type.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Sorry (but not sorry) to jump on the MBC bandwagon. Every time I go up there, I grab a case of Lunch and a case of Another One to bring home. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.