Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Help - Maine - 7 days in Summer itinerary

Help - Maine - 7 days in Summer itinerary

Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
gfunkdave - I should have said I am flying into Bangor and not Portland. Oops. Hopefully I will get on the right plane (I have been turned away at the gate a couple of times when I have just joined the nearest available queue).

I remember reading now that people usually start the Appalachian Trail in the south. I think I can make a better tall tale out of "and here is a photo of me at the end of the Appalachian Trail"

Not much into food but I am getting quite excited about these Lobster Rolls that keep getting mentioned.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The reason behind the "press" theme is that the building used to be the offices and printing press for the Portland Press-Herald. Marriott converted it into a hotel in late 2015 or so.

Which island?

Washington County is I believe the poorest county in the state, sadly. I look forward to seeing more of Maine this summer.
Bailey Island. Or Bailey's depending which Downeast Historian one asks.

Washington County is one of the poorest counties in the United States.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
gfunkdave - I should have said I am flying into Bangor and not Portland. Oops. Hopefully I will get on the right plane (I have been turned away at the gate a couple of times when I have just joined the nearest available queue).

I remember reading now that people usually start the Appalachian Trail in the south. I think I can make a better tall tale out of "and here is a photo of me at the end of the Appalachian Trail"

Not much into food but I am getting quite excited about these Lobster Rolls that keep getting mentioned.
Lobster rolls are really not that exciting. Just cold lobster meat on white bread with either mayonnaise or butter (or both).
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Lobster rolls are really not that exciting.
You just bite your tongue! Sure, if you don't like lobster (or if you can get it affordably whenever you want....) it might seem old hat. But I think they're popular (esp with tourists) for a reason. They taste good^
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lobster rolls are really not that exciting. Just cold lobster meat on white bread with either mayonnaise or butter (or both).
Beside lobster roll, what other way can it be served and where's the famous one?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Beside lobster roll, what other way can it be served and where's the famous one?
Traditionally, lobster is boiled (thrown into boiling water live, not for the squeamish) and eaten with drawn (fancy chefspeak for liquid) butter. Can be messy. Most places that serve it offer diners disposable plastic bibs.

Is there a "the famous one?" If there is, I don't know what it is. There isn't a huge variation from one place to another in terms of the lobster itself. It's not like you need a Michelin-starred Cordon Bleu chef to do this.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:56 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Ahhh, Dave has never been to Red's Eats!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:09 am

You can have lobster newburg, lobster thermidor, lobster omelets, lobster bisque.....

But a clambake w/ lobster is a New England tradition my husband adores - steamed clams, lobster, corn & potatoes...

Doesn't it look delicious? (no clue where to get it in Maine - we've always DIYed)

Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Ahhh, Dave has never been to Red's Eats!
I have so! Multiple times. Eventide's lobster roll is leagues better, but that's because the lobster is cooked in a lot of brown butter...

Yes, I admit I don't much care for shellfish in the first place.

If I were going to get a whole lobster and all the accoutrements for dinner in Portland, I'd do it at Scales. We went there with a group on my wedding weekend and my parents' friends who got the whole lobster all agreed it was the best lobster they'd ever had.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
Traditionally, lobster is boiled (thrown into boiling water live, not for the squeamish) and eaten with drawn (fancy chefspeak for liquid) butter.
That's pretty much what we always did ourselves (minus the butter) during the summer lobster sale.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Heresy! I have had mediocre lobster rolls...it takes plenty of TLC.

If you are looking for whole lobsters in Portland, Street & Co. does a divine lobster diavolo that is amazing - but will leave you completely stuffed if it is 1 order for 2 people...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If you are looking for whole lobsters in Portland, Street & Co. does a divine lobster diavolo that is amazing - but will leave you completely stuffed if it is 1 order for 2 people...
Thank you - added that to My Map too
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Family of 4 with a 3 year old, not interested in beer, loves Lobster, preferably staying in 2.5 to 3* hotel.
Hate to have to be the one to tell you, but with young kids you may need to stop at Old Orchard Beach.

- Tacky
- Touristy
- Lots of sandy beach

Overrun with Canadians (lots of Quebecers). Close enough to Portland that you can go in for dinner to fantastic restaurants.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Heresy! I have had mediocre lobster rolls...it takes plenty of TLC.

Just looked up reviews on TA for Street & Co. and the lobster diavolo gets awesome reviews. I'm hoping my wife and I can get there on our Oct. trip for leaf-peeping. Any FTers in the area are welcome to join us.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Doesn't it look delicious?

OMG!!!!!!!! YUM. What a tempting photo!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.