Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering a Relocation to Boston

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Independent
That's probably one thing to get used to in
New England. Yes we are only a couple of hour drive from New York City, but weather does tend to act a bit different here than it does in New York. Boston itself may be fine - they often only get rain when just a few miles inland get several inches of snow. People around here are used to it, they just be flexible and accommodating. I know very few places that get upset because you are a little bit late because the weather slowed everything down. In fact many places let you work from home on days like that. If you really want to enjoy the winter try working for a university. Snow days are great!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I don't know. When that many people jump in and make the same comment, I have to believe there's truth to it. I am, at this moment, very concerned about the livability of the Boston area, at least relative to what I experienced in NYC. This is going to require a lot of consideration. But, let's see if I get an offer first.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
I have lived half of my life in the Boston area, and half of my life in NYC. (I currently live in Williamsburg, but still spend a lot of time in Boston.) Boston is an extraordinarily livable city, especially with kids. Living in Boston, there are plenty of things that you'd miss relative to NYC, but it has it's own advantages as well. Bostonians and New Yorkers can (and will) debate forever the relative merits of the two cities, but one thing you absolutely should not concern yourself with is the livability of Boston.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Is North or South station closer to the office you would be commuting to? If one is much closer than the other, then I would start by looking at the towns along the lines that go to the station closer to your office.
This. Exactly this to start.

I am a commuter rail traveler who lives in a suburb that's within about 50 minutes door to door. I am certainly one of the first to complain about the T (especially after winter 2 yrs ago) but when it comes down to it, my commute is completely predictable and rarely has delays. I would recommend to keep your commute within 45 min, stay within commuter rail zone 2.

Happy to discuss further via PM if you like.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:02 pm

Holy smokes!

Oh, and the job is in the Back Bay financial area (I guess that's what people would say). On St. James, if that's of any help.
Express buses (pass is around $100/mo last i checked) go straight there from places like Watertown and Waltham. I did this for several years, it was great. Just another thing to consider, though I know you were focusing on rail options.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Considering the Green Line is slow and the Red line rather crowded during rush hour (main artery Cambridge - Boston - South Station), I suggest somewhere along the orange line. It has its own tracks and most (all) road crossings are fly-over (viaduct). Its Back Bay stop is a short walking distance from St. James Ave.
Perhaps have a look at Mission Hill, Roxbury, Forest Hills, or Somerville.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Considering the Green Line is slow and the Red line rather crowded during rush hour (main artery Cambridge - Boston - South Station), I suggest somewhere along the orange line. It has its own tracks and most (all) road crossings are fly-over (viaduct). Its Back Bay stop is a short walking distance from St. James Ave.
Perhaps have a look at Mission Hill, Roxbury, Forest Hills, or Somerville.
+1. My only knowledge of St James is Liberty Mutual, and the orange line was always the best option going there.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
+1. My only knowledge of St James is Liberty Mutual, and the orange line was always the best option going there.
it of course depends entirely where you live. The Green Line and the commuter rail are equally convenient.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Y

Originally Posted by Blumie
it of course depends entirely where you live. The Green Line and the commuter rail are equally convenient.
The Green B line is slow and stuffed with rowdy college kids.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Green B line is slow and stuffed with rowdy college kids.
Maybe before and after Red Sox games, or on weekend nights, but not on a daily basis. And more importantly, if you live in Brookline and are going to the Back Bay, you're going to ride the Green Line, not the Orange Line. And while it may seem slow -- it certainly is not the TGV -- you can get from most stops on the Green Line (irrespective of which branch) to the Back Bay in about half an hour, which is not a bad commute at all, especially relative to many NYC commutes.

Certainly one must consider the commuting options when deciding where to live in the Boston area, but to make that the sole criteria, as many posts in this thread seem to suggest, is absurd.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:49 am
Suspended

Sure, Brookline is a good location as well.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, Brookline is a good location as well.
As is Newton.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Blumie
Certainly one must consider the commuting options when deciding where to live in the Boston area, but to make that the sole criteria, as many posts in this thread seem to suggest, is absurd.
It's a significant consideration for me, as I find a long commute to be soul suckingly bad (I had one that was 40 minutes if there was no traffic, and I worked 8-5 so you can guess how many days it was under an hour either way...). However, most of my worst have been driving. At least on public transit, one can listen to music on headphones, text with friends, and handle much of one's basic financial matters.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It's a significant consideration for me, as I find a long commute to be soul suckingly bad (I had one that was 40 minutes if there was no traffic, and I worked 8-5 so you can guess how many days it was under an hour either way...). However, most of my worst have been driving. At least on public transit, one can listen to music on headphones, text with friends, and handle much of one's basic financial matters.
No question about it, it is a consideration, and potentially a significant consideration. It just seems to me like some posts in this thread consider it the only consideration. I suspect that the OP, having lived in NYC, is well aware of how to weigh the impact of his commute into a decision such as this.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I don't know. When that many people jump in and make the same comment, I have to believe there's truth to it. I am, at this moment, very concerned about the livability of the Boston area, at least relative to what I experienced in NYC. This is going to require a lot of consideration. But, let's see if I get an offer first.
As someone who grew up in NJ, lived in Manhattan for 6 years, and Cambridge and a Boston suburb for quite a few, I find Boston is more liveable than NY. You can live in the country and still be in the metropolitan area -- there are lots of farms/horses in the town I currently live in. You have to go a lot farther out in NY to get an equivalently nice place. You can get to a swimmable beach a lot more easily, I think. NY real estate was always crazy expensive compared to Boston. In Manhattan, I think people tend to spend more money -- my suspicion is that most people have to get out of the chaos/crowds frequently and will stop for drinks, coffee, meals to just step out of the crowdedness. Relatively speaking, the schools here are very good (though I know nothing about the Catholic schools). There are so many interesting people here -- if you are not in the arts. The sports teams have punched above their weight. The scale is more human.

The food and arts are way better in NY. The subway is better. Not sure about the commuter rail lines. I love visiting NY for the weekend. I'd prefer to live in the Boston area.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Honestly, we are being harsh on the MBTA. 95% of the time, it works fine. It can be slow, and I would still avoid the Red Line until they replace much of their equipment, and the MBTA can be bad in snowstorms. But, honestly, it is still better than driving in every day, and it really isn't that much worse, if at all, than most other transit systems in the USA. We are mostly frustrated that it could be better, but the bloat of the organization works so much against it.
I'm waiting for someone to weigh in on how awesome the driving is in Boston - no traffic jams, clear signage, courteous and predictable drivers, roads seem like they all were paved yesterday . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.