Search

Boston w/kids and a trip to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
Boston w/kids and a trip to NYC

All,

You were all very helpful with my trip to Atlanta this summer, so I'm looking for some advice for a trip I'm planning to Boston in the spring. My Cubbies (who FINALLY won it all!) are traveling to Boston the last weekend in April. I'm planning on going and would like to fly. Costs are a concern to a degree, so I'm trying to figure out if this is possible, how well Boston is setup, etc.

It will be my wife, 4 year old, 1 year old, and myself. Ideally we would fly in, and not have to rent a car at all. I'm thinking Boston would support this based on what I can find - there is decent public transportation. That would save us having to take car seats which are a pain to fly with, save a cost in the rental, etc.

This will be an IHG Rewards stay because, holy cow the price of hotels near the park/downtown is a bit insane! So ideally we'd fly in, take public transportation to the HIX, walk to the ball park or take public transit, etc.

Then I'd like to take a train to NYC, and either fly out from there, or return. I'm guessing all this is possible? Could be done for reasonable pricing? Any good hints?

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:30 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Definitely no need for a car, the "T" will get you everywhere you want to go. This also includes lodging -- you don't have to be in the Fenway area with the subway options, but book your hotel quickly if you go that route, before the rates go even higher.

Hotel Options that I'd suggest to a friend include the HIX Boston Garden, the Intercontinental (Waterfront), the Holiday Inn, Brookline/Boston (short train ride or 20 minute walk from Fenway). Or, if you must, the HIX Cambridge (meh neighborhood, but close to transit).

NOT the HIX Boston (Dorchester)

Getting to the train to NYC is easy, too. Options are South Station or 5 minutes later, Back Bay Station.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by treydawgmt
Ideally we would fly in, and not have to rent a car at all. I'm thinking Boston would support this based on what I can find - there is decent public transportation.
Yes, this is very feasible!

Also keep in mind Uber and Lyft, which will actually be within the same price range as the T for a lot of trips within the city -e.g., Fenway-Harvard might be $7 for an off-peak Lyft, vs. $2.25/adult over 11 for the T.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
You have made a great choice! ORD/MDW-BOS is one of the most inexpensive routes on most airlines to/from Boston.

To get to NYC, there's Amtrak ($100 roundtrip per person if booked in advance) and NYC is a short hop away if flying, and that generally costs $150 per person regardless of airline. If JetBlue's promo fare for LGA holds up until April, you can fly BOS-LGA for as little as $61 roundtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.