Cape Cod Area

Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
Cape Cod Area

Hi I am living in NY for about 6 months and want to rent a car and check out Cape Cod for a weekend while I am here. I am curious as to whether going in mid October is a good time to visit? I know between Memorial Day and Labor Day is the busy season but mid October is probably the time of the year where I'll have the opportunity to go.

I also wanted to know if there is any area that you would recommend for 2-3 single guys to stay in that has some decent nightlife and great seafood. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:54 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Mid October is also a rather busy time to visit the area because you might hit the tail end of foliage season (the leaves have only barely started to change color here in central Maine where I am right now). Just be prepared for warm days and cool nights.

I'm not hugely familiar with Provincetown, but I have heard it is very eclectic and I bet you would find both good nightlife and very fresh seafood there. I recall that the Provincetown tourism website (I don't recall the exact address at the moment but you should be able to google it) is very thorough.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
If P-town is not your cup of tea, a little hard to find great nightlife on the Cape for young single guys. You might consider Woods Hole. Lots of opportunity for cycling, running, catching a boat over to the Vineyard to explore.

You might consider Newport, RI instead.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'll jump in here with my question(s).

Arriving into BOS on the 27th Oct and heading down to Falmouth on the 28th, flying back out of BOS on the 31st at 6am.
My options are to either hire a car for Ł87 (Fri morning to Sun evening) or catch the Peter Pan bus for around $57 / Ł47.

Both seem to take around 1h20-1h30.

Got plans in the Falmouth area with the half and full marathons over the weekend.

If I take the bus, the last bus on the Sunday seems to be just before 6pm and then I can overnight in Boston before my flight.
If I drive, I can either do the same thing, but leave when I want or just leave at say 2am or so back to BOS on the Monday morning.

Secondly, do I actually need a car for a weekend in Falmouth? Not sure how much there is to see and if anything major is too far out or if there's public transport if need be.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Well, there's an American bias that would say: get the car. No public transportation down there. Unless your time is taken up by all the running, then you might want a car to sight see.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
Thank you lo2e and Yahtzee
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I think it's a great time to visit. I don't think that the Cape is a significant draw for leaf-peepers; am I wrong?
Definitely hire a car.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think it's a great time to visit. I don't think that the Cape is a significant draw for leaf-peepers; am I wrong?
Definitely hire a car.
Correct. Generally the wrong kind of vegetation (scrub pine and such) for good fall foliage colors.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:44 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Efrem
Correct. Generally the wrong kind of vegetation (scrub pine and such) for good fall foliage colors.
Ah, I've learned something new. I guess I assumed (possibly naively) that everywhere in New England had foliage of some kind. Nice to know! ^
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lo2e
Ah, I've learned something new. I guess I assumed (possibly naively) that everywhere in New England had foliage of some kind. Nice to know! ^
To clarify a bit: it's not that there are no nice-looking trees anywhere on Cape Cod. That's not the case. If you happen to be there already for some other reason, you'll see a bit of fall color too. It's just that there aren't the vistas of them that you get in Vermont, New Hampshire, much of Maine, parts of western Massachusetts ... with so many better options to choose from in the same geographic area, why go to the Cape for that?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:06 am

Night life and cape cod aren't usually used in the same sentence. The Cape has great weather in the Fall and the majority of tourists are gone.

If you're looking for a night out why not do a night in Boston?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:33 am

I think the Cape is pretty in the fall. The colors are muted, but they are there. We like walking the Atlantic White Cedar Swamp trail in October. However, much of the bright red color you'll see close to the ground at that time of year is actually poison ivy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.