Reload this Page >

All Electronic Tolling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Electronic Tolling

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:39 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Or sign up on line:

https://www.ezpassma.com/(S(jt2qmy5a...))/signup.aspx

unless they don't mail transponders internationally
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:50 am

I'm having trouble finding what Thrifty charges for PlatePass: does anyone know? For an 8-day rental, I think the cashless toll would only apply exiting Logan Airport at the Sumner Tunnel. For this trip on I-93 into New Hampshire, I'm thinking I might as well set the Waze app for an avoid-toll route to help me through the Revere route.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Independent
Where are the airport gantries now, anyways? I didn't see any coming out of Logan through the Ted Williams, but I thought I may have seen one on the way in just where the tunnel opens up for a minute in South Boston. I can find the Turnpike ones, but not the Airport ones anywhere.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
I'm having trouble finding what Thrifty charges for PlatePass: does anyone know? For an 8-day rental, I think the cashless toll would only apply exiting Logan Airport at the Sumner Tunnel. For this trip on I-93 into New Hampshire, I'm thinking I might as well set the Waze app for an avoid-toll route to help me through the Revere route.
Updating this, I did another search for a downtown start to the rental, find that it saves $100, and we can get a free Uber ride with the Amex promo, so I'm getting that.

ETA: Oops, it's unclear if the plan to charge tolls on the Callahan Tunnel towards Logan has been implemented; can anyone reply on that?

Last edited by rove312; Dec 18, 2016 at 1:31 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We noticed the removal of toll booths when we took the Mass Pike between 84 and 290 Thanksgiving weekend. I don't remember seeing signage for those who didn't have EZPass alerting them that they would be mailed a bill although we could have missed it.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
2 way tolls are in effect for all tunnels
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Independent
Right now I am rip-pooped over this. My car right now is basically a zombie - I can drive it for about a 5-10 mile radius and that is it, as my water pump is gone. I rented a car from Enterprise so I could take my father up to Market Basket and then drive into Boston so I could go to the car show to look at new models.

Well, when I tried to add the car to my ez pass it keeps telling me it is already associated with another account. EZ pass closed at 1 and doesn't open Sundays anymore, you get no help from their phone, and the car rental office (local office) is closed now and tomorrow. This whole system is a sham.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:34 pm

Trying to compare rental company policies: on Alamo I only see them once I get a price quote, and there's:

If you or any driver operate the rental vehicle in the following areas, and generate an unpaid toll, you will be charged:
[...]
Travel both within and outside of MA: TOLLPASS TRANSPONDER SERVICE of $3.95 for each rental day plus the cost of all unpaid tolls. The maximum TollPass Device Charge for the rental period is $19.75, plus the cost of all unpaid tolls.
Travel within MA only: TOLLPASS CONVENIENCE CHARGE of $3.95 for each day you use a toll road or bridge plus the cost of all unpaid tolls. The maximum TollPass Convenience charge for the rental period is $19.75, plus the cost of all unpaid tolls.
So we'll fly to BOS and go through the toll booth in New Hampshire where there's a cash option, should I read this that, if we pay cash in NH, we'll only be charged for the days the transponder is read in MA? That "generate an unpaid toll" is an essential clause? Or should I take "travel" literally, that a GPS could tell we've left the state, and have that service fee for each day of the rental?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Worth noting that even though NH still has cash lanes at toll booths, all lanes have EZPass antennas. Don't know if the toll collector can "cancel" the EZPass transaction if you give them cash, but if the rental has EZPass it's going to get picked up going thru NH, even in the cash lanes.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:54 am

Good to know. Then can the transponder be put in the off position when no longer needed for MA tolls? On our last rental, we just kept it that way and took the toll-avoiding route through Revere.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:55 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by octr202
Worth noting that even though NH still has cash lanes at toll booths, all lanes have EZPass antennas. Don't know if the toll collector can "cancel" the EZPass transaction if you give them cash, but if the rental has EZPass it's going to get picked up going thru NH, even in the cash lanes.
Maine has this as well, every lane at every toll booth takes EZPass.

Originally Posted by rove312
Good to know. Then can the transponder be put in the off position when no longer needed for MA tolls? On our last rental, we just kept it that way and took the toll-avoiding route through Revere.
I have an EZPass from Maine and it came with some sort of special plastic bag to put it in for when you want to pay cash instead of using the EZPass. Not sure if there are other methods of preventing the sensors from discovering it, but I'm not aware of any on/off switch or the like.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:55 pm

Hmm, I understood that it needed to be rotated a certain way for it to read: there were two settings in the car I rented, and I kept it at what I took to be the non-reading way. I don't immediately find writings on that: nothing's turned up on my bills for the times I paid cash in NH on a rental ending 12-29-2016.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:18 am

Ours (Mass and NY) don't have "on/off" switches. They do have a metallic bag you can use and since we use both transponders to save money we do use those bags and they work.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:09 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Ours (Mass and NY) don't have "on/off" switches. They do have a metallic bag you can use and since we use both transponders to save money we do use those bags and they work.
The transponders mounted in rentals that I've seen are mounted on a swiveling plate in a conductive box and can be swung/rotated "out" to use or "in" to get the same effect as the bag you have. I suspect that's what rove312 is describing.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by CKDGM
The transponders mounted in rentals that I've seen are mounted on a swiveling plate in a conductive box and can be swung/rotated "out" to use or "in" to get the same effect as the bag you have. I suspect that's what rove312 is describing.
In Hertz cars, the transponders are encased in a metal box with a door that is slid open to allow the transponder to be used, and slid closed otherwise. I typically travel with my own transponder so simply keep the door closed. I usually forget to update my EZPass account to include my rental cars, but thus far have not had any issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.