Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stowe and Burlington

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Stowe and Burlington

Heading there tomorrow for a 10 day trip. I will be spending time in both places. Any suggestions for good eating spots and shops? I've done Ben and Jerry's, Cabot's and cider spots. Any other cool towns or tourist spots there or nearby? Thanks so much.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Michael's on the Hill (in Waterbury, not too far from Stowe)
Old May 8, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Hen of the Woods
Waterbury and now Burlington
Old May 8, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Should find some good sweaters on sale at Stowe..
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AMflier
Hen of the Woods
Waterbury and now Burlington
Enthusiastic second for this one. ^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:36 am

OP is gone now but for searching purposes:
Veritas - Burlington
Sotto Enoteca - Burlington
Butch and Babes - BTV
Trattoria Delia - BTV
Wateworks - Winooski
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by lionelhutzskis
OP is gone now but for searching purposes:
Veritas - Burlington
Sotto Enoteca - Burlington
Butch and Babes - BTV
Trattoria Delia - BTV
Wateworks - Winooski
Wow thanks for adding these!!! ^

I'll be in Burlington in late Aug, and this list (along with Hen of the Wood) make me want to be there now! This will be my first time in Vermont. I'll be there with my Mom for 3 nights, staying at the Homewood Suites. After this we'll go to Lake George for a night.

Does anyone have any favorite syrup farms to visit?

We'll definitely visit Ben & Jerry's.

Any favorite beaches I should check out? I'm assuming the water in Lake Champlain will be warm enough to go in.

Is it worthwhile to take the ferry over to Port Kent, NY? The website says the trip is 1:10 each way. It doesn't look like there's much of anything in Port Kent, so this would just be for the views.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Wow thanks for adding these!!! ^

I'll be in Burlington in late Aug, and this list (along with Hen of the Wood) make me want to be there now! This will be my first time in Vermont. I'll be there with my Mom for 3 nights, staying at the Homewood Suites. After this we'll go to Lake George for a night.

Does anyone have any favorite syrup farms to visit?

We'll definitely visit Ben & Jerry's.

Any favorite beaches I should check out? I'm assuming the water in Lake Champlain will be warm enough to go in.

Is it worthwhile to take the ferry over to Port Kent, NY? The website says the trip is 1:10 each way. It doesn't look like there's much of anything in Port Kent, so this would just be for the views.
I'd add two more places to eat- Honey Road on Church Street and Dedauls Wine Bar. If you are here on a Friday, check out Truck Stop on Pine Street. Its street carts that serve food and beer outdoors Friday night.

The sugarhouses will not be actively boiling in August so there isn't that much to see. There are some good ones though. Palmers in Jericho with great stuff. Check out http://vermontmaple.org/ for locations.

As for beaches - the truest beach is North Beach and Leddy Park. There are a whole bunch of trails that lead to little hidden coves on Lone Rock Point (north of north beach) so you can follow those and explore. The water will be plenty warm enough then for swimming.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
There really isn't that much in Port Kent. The boat ride is lovely.

If you are up for it, rent some bikes and head north from Burlington on the rail trail by the lake. I goes up the old railroad causeway. On weekends there's a bike ferry that connects the 2 sections where a bridge was removed.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A Single Pebble in Burlington has really good Chinese food.

Also, for a delicious sandwich to go, Kampus Kitchen is a great choice.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:05 pm

Ausable Chasm is pretty cool if you have a car to take on the ferry to Port Kent.

I love Harrison's in Stowe for any meal, though book if you want dinner.

Hiking around the Notch is beautiful.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
A Single Pebble in Burlington has really good Chinese food.

Also, for a delicious sandwich to go, Kampus Kitchen is a great choice.
Love A Single Pebble. ^
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Thanks to everyone for the tips!

We drove up to Burlington yesterday and are staying at the Homewood Suites. They actually had a decent snack/dinner yesterday so, combined with a late lunch, we weren't hungry for dinner. But we did go into town for some ice cream.

Today we started with the Ben & Jerry's tour. I figured it probably wouldn't be too busy early (we were on the 10:10am tour), and I was right. It was getting busier as we left.
Then we drove up to the Stowe Ski Resort and rode in the gondola to the top with fantastic views from Mt Mansfield. We thought of eating lunch there, but I wasn't quite hungry (it was a bit warm in the restaurant too).
After that we headed to downtown Waterbury to have lunch. I parked and we saw a place with space to sit outside that looked decent so we went there. It was called Arvads and I'd definitely recommend it.
Finally we finished up our trek with a stop at Palmer Lane syrup in Jericho. They were very friendly, we were able to do tastings, and the prices didn't seem too bad. Actually on the way back to the hotel we went to Price Chopper and the prices there were very similar.

I'm doing a sunset stand up paddleboard tour tonight. Hope it isn't too cold... I'm not planning to wear a shirt, in case I fall in, but might be a bit chilly. We're planning to just walk on Church St and see what strikes us for dinner. I'll be dressed rather casually, so not sure any of the restaurant recommendations would work.

We're planning to go to the Shelbourne Museum tomorrow morning. Since the ticket is good for 2 days, we'll probably just do 1/2 day there, then go back on Friday before heading to Lake George. If we feel up to it, we may to to Montpelier tomorrow afternoon.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:02 pm

Thinking of heading up to Burlington/Stowe second week of June. Any additions (or deletions) to the recommendations from 2017?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by xooz
Thinking of heading up to Burlington/Stowe second week of June. Any additions (or deletions) to the recommendations from 2017?
Yes-
Due to changes in owership/closures

Try: Verita for Pizza (BTV), Dedalus (wine store/bar/ gourmet shop, and great patio), Istanbul House (authentic Turkish, ask to sit upstairs outside), Leunigs, Citizen Cider Tap Room (Pine Street), Great Northern / Zero Gravity Tap Room (Pine Street), Hong's Chinese Dumplings (She had a food cart for 25 years and just transitioned to a brick and mortar), Single Pebble (upscale chinese) and above all else, the BTV Farmer's market.
xooz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.