Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston New Year's Day

Boston New Year's Day

Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Boston New Year's Day

We're thinking of doing a quick trip to Boston actually ON New Year's Day. Are bookstores and the like open in Boston and Cambridge?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
We're thinking of doing a quick trip to Boston actually ON New Year's Day. Are bookstores and the like open in Boston and Cambridge?
No. Cinemas and Chinese restaurants are open.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
No. Cinemas and Chinese restaurants are open.
Ugh....I've been doing my own research. The Coop will be open; the BU B&N won't be. The MFA and ISG will be closed. Only Chinese restaurants will be open? We're not going Christmas Day.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:59 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
CHRISTMAS is when only Chinese restaurants (and not much else) is open. On New Year's Day lots of things are open. Just like in NYC
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:21 am

Guess I've always been too occupied 'recovering' from running all over town to see the busy First Night festivities and fireworks to notice. :-). Mimosas while watching the Rose Parade is about all we can muster on New Year's Day.

Enjoy an epic visit to the Coop and the "just like in NYC".

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Dec 19, 2015 at 6:28 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:32 am

In past years, the ice sculptures on Boston Common and Copley Square have been excellent and certainly worth a trip on New Year's Day. They've traditionally been completed on New Year's Eve, part of the First Night activities. (There are some significant changes to FN this year, so I'm not 100% sure that the ice sculptures will be as before.)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Guess I've always been too occupied 'recovering' from running all over town to see the busy First Night festivities and fireworks to notice. :-). Mimosas while watching the Rose Parade is about all we can muster on New Year's Day.

Enjoy an epic visit to the Coop and the "just like in NYC".
"An epic visit to the Coop". Are you trying to offer assistance or not? What is your problem that I like the Coop?

Originally Posted by wideman
In past years, the ice sculptures on Boston Common and Copley Square have been excellent and certainly worth a trip on New Year's Day.
Nice! I hope it's cold enough; while it's cold now, it will be warming up once again next week.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
... Nice! I hope it's cold enough; while it's cold now, it will be warming up once again next week.
The forecast right now, and a lot can change in ten days, is that it will be cold enough overnight on the 31st for ice sculptures to survive quite nicely. (Christmas Eve is expected to break records on the high side, though. December to date is running a full 10F above average and is almost certain to become the warmest December on record.)
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

It's definite; we're going. ^
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
As others have echoed: many of the attractions (JFK Library, MFA, ICA, MOS, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, etc) will be closed.

Retail stores should be open-upon checking all the major area malls will be operating.

In terms of bookstores you may want to call. MIT/Harvard Law COOP I supsect will be closed, Harvard Square COOP possibility they'll be open.

I suspect Trident Booksellers will also be open, worth a phone call there as well as places like Brookline Booksmith and Porter Square book store.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
CHRISTMAS is when only Chinese restaurants (and not much else) is open. On New Year's Day lots of things are open. Just like in NYC
We broke away from the tradition of Bernard's this year and went to Fireplace in Washington Square Brookline.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
As others have echoed: many of the attractions (JFK Library, MFA, ICA, MOS, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, etc) will be closed.

Retail stores should be open-upon checking all the major area malls will be operating.

In terms of bookstores you may want to call. MIT/Harvard Law COOP I supsect will be closed, Harvard Square COOP possibility they'll be open.
Yes, I do see that the museums will be closed unfortunately. I called the COOP at Harvard Sq and they confirmed that they'll be open.

I suspect Trident Booksellers will also be open, worth a phone call there as well as places like Brookline Booksmith and Porter Square book store.
Thanks for the heads up about Trident.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

We had a GREAT time. On New Year's Day, we enjoyed brunch at Zoe's in Cambridge after we arrived and checked in at our hotel. Spent the afternoon in Cambridge walking around and at the Coop. We enjoyed dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in the North End called Assiaggio.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
We had a GREAT time. On New Year's Day, we enjoyed brunch at Zoe's in Cambridge after we arrived and checked in at our hotel. Spent the afternoon in Cambridge walking around and at the Coop. We enjoyed dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in the North End called Assiaggio.
Wait - I thought there were only Chinese restaurants open! Glad you had a good time.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:19 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
that's on Christmas. On New Years' Day most places we drove by seemed to be open

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.