Search

Interesting sights @ BOS Saturday 7/11

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Interesting sights @ BOS Saturday 7/11

This past Saturday (7/11) I was kayaking around Logan in Winthrop bay and there were some interesting sights, with the most interesting being a China Airlines 744 parked over near terminal E. It was parked remotely and had each of its engine nasals covered up, so it looks like it's been there for a while. Anyone know the reason for the visit?

Other interesting sights/activities:

**Back-to-back EI A330's landing. Typically they're a little more spread out and I thought only DUB saw an A330 and SNN was a 757?

**Back-to-back FI 757's landing within 5 minutes of each other.

**HU 788 to PEK delayed 3-hours, which created a packed remote stand area in the corner by the AA hanger they're tearing down (EK 77W, VS 744, HU 788, TK340, CA744, Omni 763)

**An FI 757 and a BA 744 both experienced lengthy taxiway delays (~45-mins each) after landing due to no gates being open at terminal E. I wonder if this happens regularly when flights get delayed. Must be expensive to the airlines to have their planes sit and idle on the taxiways using fuel while waiting, as well as the delays its causes.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
FI always has two 757s land back to back. It is called wing to wing flights. Instead of flying a larger plane, they fly two planes to meet demand.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
An FI 757 and a BA 744 both experienced lengthy taxiway delays (~45-mins each) after landing due to no gates being open at terminal E. I wonder if this happens regularly when flights get delayed. Must be expensive to the airlines to have their planes sit and idle on the taxiways using fuel while waiting, as well as the delays its causes.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about the fact that while MassPort has been aggressively courting new international flights ex-BOS, they haven't expanded gate capacity at Terminal E. A number of years ago they expanded the passenger handling capacity of the Terminal E immigration hall; at the time, passengers on incoming flights sometimes would have to wait up to 45 minutes to deboard, even after having parked at a gate, because there was no room in the arrivals hall. I wonder if they have plans to expand the number of gates. Are they already using remote stands and busing passengers to the terminal?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Blumie
Interesting. I hadn't thought about the fact that while MassPort has been aggressively courting new international flights ex-BOS, they haven't expanded gate capacity at Terminal E. A number of years ago they expanded the passenger handling capacity of the Terminal E immigration hall; at the time, passengers on incoming flights sometimes would have to wait up to 45 minutes to deboard, even after having parked at a gate, because there was no room in the arrivals hall. I wonder if they have plans to expand the number of gates. Are they already using remote stands and busing passengers to the terminal?
No remote stands yet. Term E needs work, and needs it soon with the amount of new intl. capacity that is coming next year.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
This past Saturday (7/11) I was kayaking around Logan in Winthrop bay and there were some interesting sights....
That's as far as I got because I couldn't believe Boston Harbor would be clean enough for anyone to want to kayak. Does anyone kayak in Jamaica Bay by JFK?

Seriously, if it's clean, why not? ^
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Boston Harbor has been very clean for more than a decade and has a number of swimming beaches. Been years since any of them have been closed due to pollution.

Always kayakers out there, some times windsurfers and SUPers and Kite surfers, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.