Search

Best way to get to Concord area via Amtrak from NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Best way to get to Concord area via Amtrak from NYC

I am going to the Concord area next weekend. Coming from NYC, and I would greatly prefer going by train rather than the shuttle. I need to be there early to mid-afternoon Saturday and back either late Saturday or earlyish Sunday. Is it best to take the train all the way to Boston or get off at the Rte 128 station? Also, is taxi reasonable from either to Concord or is it better to rent a car? If the latter are there any car rental places nearby to either stations? Alternately, how long of a drive is it from Nassau County? I have only gone to downtown Boston by train, never out to the Concord area. Thanks for any inputs.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Concord, MA or Concord, NH?

Don't worry, there are people who are headed for Portland, OR and wind up in Portland, ME and still have a great time.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Often1
Concord, MA or Concord, NH?

Don't worry, there are people who are headed for Portland, OR and wind up in Portland, ME and still have a great time.
Sorry, MA. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:38 pm

Taxi prices and travel times are about the same from either station. I would definately go to the 128 train station. The train will be shorter and the station is easy to manage and clean.

Taxis are almost always there at the station. It would cost about $80 at the most.

I recommend Paragon Livery (paragonlivery.com) if you want a pre-arranged service. They charge $80 to the station.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:04 pm

Concord Center itself or just a Concord area business/residence? The purple line commuter rail leaves from North Station (reachable by subway/trolley from South Station Amtrak) and stops at Concord Center and West Concord. Check the mbta.com site for schedules. You could get a taxi from the station to your final destination. This might be the most economical way.
Note that by road Concord might take 40 minutes or so from South Station Amtrak, maybe $65+ by taxi, not sure using Uber.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I agree that Route 128 station would be better than the Boston stations. If you want to rent a car, you can arrange through Hertz, although there office is about 10-15 minutes away. Upon arrival, you call them and they'll come pick you up.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:00 pm

Another option is get off at Back Bay station. There is an Avis Car rental at the garage adjacent to the station. It is one of the few that is open late until 7 pm or so and also open on Sundays till 4pm. About the same distance to Concord by miles from either Back Bay or Rt 128 but easier to get a car in the city.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
For commuter rail service to Concord (Fitchburg Line), do be aware that this line currently only runs Mon-Fri. Weekend service suspended for construction.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I am going to the Concord area next weekend. Coming from NYC, and I would greatly prefer going by train rather than the shuttle. I need to be there early to mid-afternoon Saturday and back either late Saturday or earlyish Sunday. Is it best to take the train all the way to Boston or get off at the Rte 128 station? Also, is taxi reasonable from either to Concord or is it better to rent a car? If the latter are there any car rental places nearby to either stations? Alternately, how long of a drive is it from Nassau County? I have only gone to downtown Boston by train, never out to the Concord area. Thanks for any inputs.
Concord is well outside both the Boston city limits and the Amtrak NE Corridor route. (I grew up in nearby Lexington.) Your three options, in ascending order of attractiveness:

1. Take Amtrak to the Rte. 128 stop on the outskirts of Boston, hire a car, then drive north on Rte 128 to Concord, about 25-30 miles distant. (Riding Amtrak all the way into Back Bay or South Station, hiring a car, then driving all the way out of the city again doesn't make so much sense.)

2. Take Amtrak to South Station, taxi or T to North Station, and get the MBTA commuter rail (not the city subway/transit system) out to Concord via the Fitchburg Line. Schedule here:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...route=FITCHBRG

Time-consuming, but easier and cheaper than renting a car.

3. Just drive from Nassau County. It'll take 3.5 hours or less if you get an early start and the Connecticut Turnpike isn't too screwed up.

The cost of subbing a taxicab or Uber for any of the trains or rental cars noted above may be comparatively unattractive to you -- certainly higher than the Amtrak ticket.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:08 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
2. Take Amtrak to South Station, taxi or T to North Station, and get the MBTA commuter rail (not the city subway/transit system) out to Concord via the Fitchburg Line. Schedule here:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...route=FITCHBRG

Time-consuming, but easier and cheaper than renting a car.
If you're taking the T, there are two better options for the connection:
1. Get off at Back Bay, Orange Line to North Station, then Fitchburg Line.
2. Get off at South Station, Red Line to Porter, then Fitchburg Line.

I'd recommend the Back Bay/North Station option because then you're getting on the Fitchburg train at its origination point - easier to find seats & room for baggage that way.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM
If you're taking the T, there are two better options for the connection:
1. Get off at Back Bay, Orange Line to North Station, then Fitchburg Line.
2. Get off at South Station, Red Line to Porter, then Fitchburg Line.

I'd recommend the Back Bay/North Station option ...
OP is traveling on the weekend, and the following info means that the Fitchburg line is of no use:

Originally Posted by octr202
For commuter rail service to Concord (Fitchburg Line), do be aware that this line currently only runs Mon-Fri. Weekend service suspended for construction.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is one of the few times I would recomend driving this. By the time you get yourself from Nassau County to NYP, up to 128/Back Bay / BOS and then on to Concord, you will take more time and spend a lot more money than if you drive. Concord is well West of Boston and that cuts your drive time in both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.