Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Fenway: Best/quickest way to airport immediately after game?

Day trip to Fenway: Best/quickest way to airport immediately after game?

Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I second the advice to leave a bit early and take a cab. If it's a close game and you really want to see it through, just be aware that it will be very crowded around the park once the game lets out. You'll need to walk a bit to get out of the crowds before you'll see any cabs. If you do plan to take the T and you don't leave the game early, walk back 1 stop toward BU and get on BEFORE Kenmore so you won't spend half an hour just trying to get on the train.

There should not be much traffic on a Saturday in August and I would guess it would be about a 20 minute ride but I would give it at least an hour to be on the safe side. You never know what ridiculous traffic snarl you'll run into on the T or on Storrow Drive.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
If you do plan to take the T and you don't leave the game early, walk back 1 stop toward BU and get on BEFORE Kenmore so you won't spend half an hour just trying to get on the train.
The wee problem with that advice is that the Green Line splits into three tentacles west of Kenmore and if you walk back toward BU you will only see the trains on the B-Boston College line, and no C-Cleveland Circle or D-Riverside ones. You might wait awhile. They all unite at Kenmore into one thick flow instead of three thin ones. If Kenmore is jammed, better to walk east toward the Hynes stop and fight your way aboard there.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by BearX220
The wee problem with that advice is that the Green Line splits into three tentacles west of Kenmore and if you walk back toward BU you will only see the trains on the B-Boston College line, and no C-Cleveland Circle or D-Riverside ones. You might wait awhile. They all unite at Kenmore into one thick flow instead of three thin ones. If Kenmore is jammed, better to walk east toward the Hynes stop and fight your way aboard there.
We have never waited more than 10-15 minutes and have used this "trick" for years. If you go to Hynes you will see nothing but completely full trains pulling in. Fighting your way aboard the Green line after a game, while a rite of passage for Sox fans, is not something I would recommend to someone who is in a hurry. Plus, the crush aboard the train is much more bearable if you get a seat - which you probably will at the BU stop.

Regardless - they should leave in the bottom of the 8th and take a cab if time is an issue.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:53 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
The wee problem with that advice is that the Green Line splits into three tentacles west of Kenmore and if you walk back toward BU you will only see the trains on the B-Boston College line, and no C-Cleveland Circle or D-Riverside ones. You might wait awhile.
At least in the past, the MBTA has had a bunch of trains standing by on the center track just west of Blandford St on the B line; when the game ends, those are sent inbound to help handle the surge of game traffic.

If they're doing this, you may well get on a completely empty train at Blandford St and have time to sit down before it gets to Kenmore and the ginormous crowd....

(But yeah, I'd suggest that the OP leave the game a bit early and cab it to BOS if there's any doubt about making it on time.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.