Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Which bus company Boston - New York?

Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver

I will travel from Boston to New York in September. I have decided to take a bus to keep costs down. Now I have trouble to decide which one. Greyhound, Peterpan, Bolt, Yo, Megabus? Can anyone comment on these operators? Does the wifi on board really work? Are some cleaner and better in shape than others?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:11 am

We've used Bolt several times. It's been fine. Yes, there's Internet.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:12 pm

Keep in mind that Greyhound, Peter Pan, Yo! and Bolt are all owned or allied with the same company. Not that that will matter much, however.

I would also look at Lucky Star and Mega Bus. Consider Go Bus if leaving from Alewife or Newton is more convenient. Some of the 'Chinatown bus' companies have been shut down at some point (IIRC, Fung Wah has never reopened, Lucky Star has) for safety issues. Many of these companies have very low prices for a few seats on each bus. If you can get a $1 fare, then take that company.

Otherwise, it really doesn't matter. I would make the selection based on where they drop off in NYC.

Amtrak is certainly not on the level of good German trains, but it still might be worth the higher cost if you can get a good price.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: Alas, not enough to earn miles
With Mega Bus, the earlier you book, the cheaper the ticket, so it pays to book the ticket as soon as you know your travel dates. If you're traveling in September, you should be able to get a great rate if you book it now. The wi fi is reliable if you're traveling in areas with good coverage. The Boston to New York route should be fine (unlike the Philly to Pittsburgh route where the wi fi dies in the middle of the state).
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Guercifgal
With Mega Bus, the earlier you book, the cheaper the ticket, so it pays to book the ticket as soon as you know your travel dates.
Same with Greyhound and Peter Pan. I have scored $1.00 tickets on Peter Pan from Boston to New York. Great ride; newer, clean bus; 10/10 would book again.

(I've also ridden Greyhound recently between Boston and Burlington and on other NE routes, and it's always been fine.)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Thanks everybody. Not sure yet what I will book. Will probably depend on the departure time and where in New York the bus drops one off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.