Fantastic new $5 express bus from BOS to Back Bay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fantastic new $5 express bus from BOS to Back Bay

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Post Fantastic new $5 express bus from BOS to Back Bay

...specifically, to Boylston St. at Hynes Convention Center and then Copley Square (2 stops - only).

Every 20 minutes.

6am to 10pm from Logan, picks up at Arrivals at all terninals.

5am to 9pm from 2 Back Bay stops to the Departures level, all terminals.

They're the 42' blue Massport (airport) buses.

Free to MBTA (public transportation) pass holders. @:-)

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/n...66&month=&year

@:-) There's a FlyerTalk kinda deal to be figured out by Boston frequent flyers.....
Old May 3, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Reminder: The less convenient, but free, way into town is to take the Silver Line, which stops at each BOS terminal and goes to South Station, whence the subway continues to be free wherever it goes. Yes, free. But only from the airport. And this doesn't include the commuter rail.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Credit or debit cards (or MBTA pass) only for the Back Bay Logan Express.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Editorial:

The reason for my hyperbole is that this is billed as a "two year experiment," but long may it live for those who support it, including frequent flyers. It's generally associated with the makeover closure of the Government Center (Blue/Green Lines) "T" station - a key hub for airport users - which is supposed to reopen in two years.

The Powers That Be (Massport, MBTA) say they anticipate 1,400 riders per day. Hopefully, it's more successful, because there is bound to be ongoing push-back from the taxi and shared-ride companies aimed at the service not extending beyond the two years. (It is unfortunate for the long wished for, new BOS SuperShuttle service.)
Old May 3, 2014, 3:08 pm

I live in the suburbs and drive into Logan, so I am not as familiar with the T as others might be. But who is this service a benefit for?

- For people who live/work/stay within walking distance to a stop it is a great option to save some money, but there is a walk, wait, and bus ride all with bags.

- For anybody coming in on the green line it might be an option, but staying on until the blue line isn't that much longer, right? And there would still be the 10ish minute wait and bus ride. The bus ride could be quite long at some times of the day due to traffic in the TW tunnel (assuming that is where they go).

- The convention center could provide a lot of people, but I would guess that would be centered around certain times. And even then, I would rather spend a few dollars more and share a cab.

I am curious to hear what others think. Perhaps I am missing a major group that would be interested in using this bus, but I don't anticipate large ridership. But I do like Massport looking at new service options.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by will2288
I live in the suburbs and drive into Logan, so I am not as familiar with the T as others might be. But who is this service a benefit for?

- For people who live/work/stay within walking distance to a stop it is a great option to save some money, but there is a walk, wait, and bus ride all with bags.

- For anybody coming in on the green line it might be an option, but staying on until the blue line isn't that much longer, right? And there would still be the 10ish minute wait and bus ride. The bus ride could be quite long at some times of the day due to traffic in the TW tunnel (assuming that is where they go).

- The convention center could provide a lot of people, but I would guess that would be centered around certain times. And even then, I would rather spend a few dollars more and share a cab.

I am curious to hear what others think. Perhaps I am missing a major group that would be interested in using this bus, but I don't anticipate large ridership. But I do like Massport looking at new service options.
It's Green Line people -- with Govt Center closed, can't stay on until the Blue Line (need to go to Haymarket and change to orange and back track to change to blue).
Old May 4, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
It's Green Line people -- with Govt Center closed, can't stay on until the Blue Line (need to go to Haymarket and change to orange and back track to change to blue).
That makes sense, thanks. Although it does suggest that the two-year trial might not be extended.

I would be curious to see how long the drive takes at its worst. I did see one on the Mass Pike West west of the Prudential tower, my guess is that it was going up to the U-turn by the Allston-Brighton tolls.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

My experience ... and three surprises.

To the airport, the wait of less than 20 minutes isn't much of a wait at all. After picking up next to Copley station, the driver rounds Copley Square and stops across the street from the Copley Plaza hotel to collect fares. "Late" people turning up at the official Copley stop on Boylston, seeing the bus, sometimes race over to the St. James side, and get on (with legit passes and fares). Then down into the tunnel and a wide swing west out to the Allston tolls, a U-turn before the tolls, and then all the way into the airport on the turnpike, I-90. Even with the seeming delay to collect many fares, it was 28 minutes to Terminal "A". While it seemed that the route is unnecessarily long with the jog on the turnpike, it probably avoids traffic on a more direct downtown (Herald, Albany Streets) route, especially weekdays.

Inbound, all fares are collected at Terminal "E". Ted Williams tunnel, a similar swing out to the Allston tolls, then back into Back Bay at the Dartmouth St. offramp. Down Stuart to Trinity Place, and left on St. James to drop passengers across the street from the Copley Plaza, the driver calling out, "Copley Square!" This detail is to point up the surprise of that stop location. Anyway, my trips have ranged from 13-18 minutes (!) from Terminal "E" to that stop.

The three surprises: The wide swing out to the Allston tolls. The drop off (and ad hoc additional pick up) in front of the Copley Plaza hotel. And the third was that all the bus drivers asked for was a "Charlie Card".

On further thought, I can see how the Copley Plaza drop-off enhances efficiency, and eliminates the confusion of people destined for the Copley station location mixing with new pick-ups at the Hynes convention center. It also sorts out the fare collection after any mixing that does occur.

Promise delivered - or - delivered as promised.

Last edited by Firewind; May 25, 2014 at 4:22 pm
Old May 25, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

To long time Logan road warriors: The "Logan Express" location at Terminal "C" is different than it was for many years. I had to ask the information booth people in Terminal C's lower level when I didn't see a sign for it where it used to stop. In Terminal C, it's now curbside by where the Silver Line bus stops, by the former (long-time AirTran) "Terminal D". There is a sign on the sidewalk at the terminals like the ones in Back Bay.

The information booth ... always my last stop.

One more thing: At the airport Logan Express bus stops, "Back Bay" is permanently painted among the (Braintree, Framingham etc.) destinations on the overhead sign. Fingers crossed. But then two years is about as permanent as it gets nowadays at Logan.

Last edited by Firewind; May 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:05 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I took the Logan Express from Copley Square at the beginning of August. I was staying at the Courtyard so it was just a 2 block walk.

It arrived on time 11:00. I paid my $5 on my Visa card to the driver. My two kids 12 and 8 were free! Not knowing Boston traffic, I got to BOS with PLENTY of time for my 1:00 flight.

The Logan Express certainly beat the taxi/car service at $35 the hotel to trying to get me to agree to.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Arrow "Free as the air we breathe"

I've waited to say this because I wasn't sure, and then didn't want to kill what appeared to be a golden goose. But all the floor signs now say:

..."Or free with a valid MBTA [T] CharlieCard" ...followed by a plastic CharlieCard laminated to the sign.

It's official: Get a plastic CharlieCard, and ride free between Logan Airport and Back Bay. For a long time - since almost the beginning? - drivers only asked, "CharlieCard?" and waved along persons with one and those with current T passes. To be sure, they'll still accept your $5 by credit or debit card, but they apparently threw in the towel re T bona fides.

CharlieCards can be picked up - free - at the Red/Orange Line Downtown Crossing Station's "T Store" but no longer at Back Bay Station, per the MBTA website. They once were available from other stations' attendants, but I don't know if this is still the case.

...The best news for frequent travelers since [your item here]. But it can't last longer than the Government Center Station project ... All that money we save isn't going to someone.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:46 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Plastic Charlie Cards are available in dozens of other locations. Click here, chose your city/town, profit!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

Not sure why they would subsidize this so much. The MBTA has a huge budget problem. Not sure making things freee for those who can fly places is the best idea.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Plastic Charlie Cards are available in dozens of other locations. Click here
Thx, the airport does not seem to be listed. Where to get a Charlie Card at BOS airport? Arriving on AC from YYZ...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Thx, the airport does not seem to be listed. Where to get a Charlie Card at BOS airport? Arriving on AC from YYZ...
There are only ticket machines at the airport. The plastic Charlie Card is only obtainable from T staff at other stations. To make the Back Bay Logan Express work for "free" from there, you'd need to buy a T (subway) pass at the machine for multiple rides on the subway and buses. It can be cost effective if you plan to use public transportation a few times. And even more so if you plan to take the Logan Express back to the airport. (Save it, even after its expiry. The driver only glances at it.) Or, sometime during your stay, you can ask a T person at a station for the plastic card.

There's also the free Silver Line from each terminal that gets you once to anywhere the subway goes. All free connections. No credentials needed.

I'm glad to see that ridership has picked up a lot. Word got around.

Last edited by Firewind; Jul 4, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.