Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next Weekend: Wine Expo or Skiing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Next Weekend: Wine Expo or Skiing

Was thinking about going skiing next saturday at Pat's Peak in NH for the day, but have been offered a free ticket to the Boston Wine Expo grand tasting. Has anyone been to the wine expo? Is it fun? I like wine and wine tasting, but hate stuffy, formal events.

Here are my thoughts currently.

Skiing: Pros - outdoors, exercise, chance to listen to tunes in the car on the way up. Cons - probably cold, could do another weekend, risk of breaking ankle or leg (since I'm a klutz), 4 hours or so in car round trip.

Wine expo: Pros - free, wine, in-doors, right in town so no commute. Cons - possibility of being stuffy, no exercise.

Appreciate any thoughts to help me decide!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:21 am

For me, since I don't like wine, I'd pick skiing.

But for you, I would recomend the wine expo. You got free tix and that one reason right there. The cheapest tix I saw were $85.

It's not black tie, you might run into some snobs (you can do that skiing also) but it's not stuffy. I have not been to a wine expo, but have been to others. Some weren't my cup of tea, but still managed to have a pretty decent time.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
For what it's worth, I think Saturday is beginning of school vacation week so slopes could be pretty busy.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You'll have even more fun with the wine snobs if you show up in one of those t-shirts printed to look like a tux and bring along some Boone's Farm.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
The Boston wine expo is far from stuffy...

Mostly full of wannabe wine experts who love to pass on their newly learned (aka from Google) knowledge of wine.

Overall, it is a fun event - some great wine, interesting ideas, etc - but take what you hear with a grain of salt as it mostly came from a marketers playbook to get you to buy their regions wine.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do both. Expo on Saturday, skiing on Sunday or Monday.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Justgpot back from thhe wine expo and asm defininteltty a bit fdrunk. would deffinetyl recommend anyonew to go next year. Veryf un and lots of wine to taste- they just keep filling t he glasses and we d forgot to spit!

Skiing tomorrow! Have fun all & go zUSA hockey1!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by thepreppytraveler
Justgpot back from thhe wine expo and asm defininteltty a bit fdrunk. would deffinetyl recommend anyonew to go next year. Veryf un and lots of wine to taste- they just keep filling t he glasses and we d forgot to spit!

Skiing tomorrow! Have fun all & go zUSA hockey1!
Gee -- can't tell you're tipsy at all based on that typing job.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:02 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Based on that, I think I'm going to the wine expo next year.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

The wine expo was a lot of fun - not stuffy and definitely going next year. We did get a little tipsy and it was a very giggly afternoon by the time we left

Skiing was great too yesterday, although I still can't wait for the spring!

Good idea to both! Enjoy your days off
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Skiing for sure! The ski season is coming to a close and there has been some great snow this winter so conditions are still great. You can drink wine anytime, although not for free....that part is tempting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.