Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: Getting to Legal Sea Foods from Logan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Boston: Getting to Legal Sea Foods from Logan

So I'm going on an MR in the next month that will put me into BOS for about a three-hour layover (2h55m, to be exact), and I was wondering if there were any way that I could make it to Legal Sea Foods on State Street from Logan and back to the airport in time to catch my return flight. I'd really like to try it, and I'd like to stay on public transit (if possible).

Google Maps tells me to take a shuttle to the Blue Line station and then to take the Blue Line from Logan to Aquarium. It gives a travel time of 22 minutes. With travel time alone being 44 minutes there and back (give or take) and me being on a three-hour layover, would I have time to go? Anyone know of any faster alternative routes? Should I take a cab? Any alternative restaurant suggestions?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

brewdog11
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Besides the fact that Legal is nothing special (or worse), you don't have enough time. There are several Legal restaurants within BOS, however, so you can check out how mediocre it is without even leaving the airport. What airline are you flying?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Legal Harborside is the one to try, and you can take a combination of Silver Line buses to get right over there. That one (upstairs) is special.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Legal Harborside is the one to try, and you can take a combination of Silver Line buses to get right over there. That one (upstairs) is special.
I still don't think the OP has time. But I'm still curious: what makes that location so special? (While I recognize that some locations may be better than others, I'm having a hard time believing that any is worth a visit.)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
How about the Legal in Terminal C?

http://www.legalseafoods.com/restaur...ort-terminal-c
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benchardf
As I indicated above, there are several Legal locations at Logan. There's a "Legal Test Kitchen" in Terminal A (inside of security); a "Legal C Bar" in Terminal B (American Airlines side, outside of security); a "Legal Sea Foods" in Terminal B (US Airways side, inside of security); and a "Legal Sea Foods" in Terminal C (outside of security).

Given the length of the OP's layover, I suggest one of these locations rather than trying to venture off property. That said, if the OP does want to have a good meal rather than eat at Legal, I recommend a taxi to Santarpio's (great pizza) or to Angela's Cafe (great Pueblan Mexican), both of which are in East Boston close to the airport.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
And a taxi will be delighted to take him on the 4 minute ride to Santarpio's.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
And a taxi will be delighted to take him on the 4 minute ride to Santarpio's.
Maybe if you offer to buy the guy a pizza ...

Actually, if one takes the free MassPort shuttle bus to the MBTA Airport Station, both Santarpio's and Angela's Cafe are walking distance. (Walk into the station, go up the stairs to the far left, cross over the tracks, and come down on the opposite side. Then walk directly across the park and continue straight on Brooks Street. Turn left on Chelsea St if going to Santarpio's, or go straight til you reach Lexington St if going to Angela's Cafe.) But I still don't think the OP has enough time!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Wow, thanks for all the replies! It seems that my fear is a legitimate one: Legal Sea Foods is too difficult to get to in the time allotted (and it also seems that I'm not really missing anything special). My friend wouldn't stop raving about LSF, but oh well, I guess I won't be visiting that tourist trap.

Santarpio's sounds like a good restaurant to eat at. Their menu looks fantastic, and I can think of a million things that I'd love to try (I also see that the East Boston location is cash only). With my layover, would I have enough time to eat there? Anyone recommend any specific pizzas?

I'm on AA, by the way.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:06 am

Santarpio's often has a line at dinner time. Best thing is their pizza (actually, to be honest, I've had nothing other than their pizzas in the 30-odd years that I've gone there). You could, I suppose, get a 'za to go if need be.

I agree that you wouldn't likely have time to go to Legal (except at the airport, which I believe has a reduced menu compared to most other locations). However, I don't see Legal as being in any way a "tourist trap," or a lousy place to eat. It's certainly true that Legal is a huge operation, with everything closely portion-controlled, and virtually no creative touches by the in-house chef (if they even have such a thing). However, they do turn out a consistently reliable product of fresh fish & seafood; the best choices there are almost always those with the simplest preparations.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:06 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Blumie
I still don't think the OP has time. But I'm still curious: what makes that location so special? (While I recognize that some locations may be better than others, I'm having a hard time believing that any is worth a visit.)
Here's a link to their web page, check the menu.

This is not your father's Legal. It's quite upscale, amazing service, and the food is outstanding. They had a smoked lobster when we were there which might have been the best thing I've ever eaten.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
This is not your father's Legal.
That's too bad, because my father's Legal was really, really good. Fresh fish, prepared simply and well. Now Legal is a soulless chain, which still serves fresh fish, but in bland preparations in malls and other corporate-feeling environs. I get that the Harborside location is their "flagship," and so maybe it's better than the others; I still wouldn't go. But clearly there are many who continue to enjoy it.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Santarpio's sounds like a good restaurant to eat at. Their menu looks fantastic, and I can think of a million things that I'd love to try (I also see that the East Boston location is cash only). With my layover, would I have enough time to eat there? Anyone recommend any specific pizzas?
Santarpio's is very close to the airport, but as Yahtzee points out, a cabbie is going to be pissed taking you there. You can get there in less than half an hour following the directions I included in a post above. After exiting the secure area of the AA terminal (there is a single door that everyone has to pass through), immediately turn right, go down the escalator to the baggage claim level, and immediately out the door, looking for the concrete pillars with the blue signs indicating the area to wait for the airport busses. Look for the blue and white MassPort busses, and take bus 33 or 55 to the MBTA blue line station. From there, follow the instructions in my previous post. (Map it out on google maps so you can see exactly where you need to walk. It's less than half a mile from the MBTA station.)

If you're inbound flight is on time and you get to Santarpio's in less than half an hour (which you should be able to do), that'd give you about an hour to enjoy a meal before heading back to the airport. (To return to the airport, walk back to the MBTA station, cross back over the tracks, and catch the free bus 33 or 55 back to Terminal B. Make sure to get off at the second or third stop at Terminal B, which serve AA, as opposed to the first stop, which serves US.) The pizza's the thing to get at Santarpio's (although many love their barbecue meats, which are not barbecue in the Southern sense, but rather just grilled chunks of meat.) Keep your pizza simple, though; their pizzas do much better without too many toppings. I like their plain, cheese pizza, as well as a pizza with sausage and hot peppers.

If there's a line out the door and you're eating alone, you should be able to get a seat at the bar. Make sure to tell your server that you're in a hurry to catch a flight. They can sometimes take their time!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
That's too bad, because my father's Legal was really, really good. Fresh fish, prepared simply and well.
Well, if we're going to play the nostalgia card................I liked the original location in Inman Square where you were served on paper plates with plastic utensils by relatives of the founders, and the price was "accesssible".
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Well, if we're going to play the nostalgia card................I liked the original location in Inman Square where you were served on paper plates with plastic utensils by relatives of the founders, and the price was "accesssible".
My first Legal visit ever was to that location! And yes, it was with my father (as well as my mother and my brothers).
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:10 pm

I wouldn't call Legals a tourist trap. It's really fine and lots of people like it.

Going to one of the Legals locations in the airport is a fine idea. I regularly get a lobster roll and a cup of chowder at the Terminal C location. I've heard that it has been moved to after security though. Something about remodeling or construction going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.