Reload this Page >

Boston Marathon explosions 15 Apr 2013 and related events

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
If you are aware of any changes to this information, please feel free to edit this wiki post. - lo2e

Travel-Related Information

29 Apr - Boylston Street has reopened, and most, if not all, businesses in the area are open again.

MBTA/Public Transit
29 Apr - All MBTA service, including Copley Square, is back to normal.

Logan Airport is open with no delays reported.

Hotels
All affected hotels are now open and operational.

Driving
As of 21 April, Mass Pike (I-90) Exit 22 (Copley) is re-opened.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

I don't know if this is the right forum (and it probably won't be clear immediately if it should be in Omni, Community Buzz, TSS or here) but I just heard a news report of two explosions in Boston near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

It was reported that there were numerous injuries.

Does anyone have any further details?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15...pokesman-says/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...102614148.html
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:19 pm

Posted on OMNI/PR, but here goes again...

Two separate explosions.

I'm in the JH tower 1 block from the finish line, and we felt it. Initially thought it was an equipment malfunction like an exploded transfer since people didn't seem to be running fast enough.

No fires visible from above, so presumably we're not talking car-bomb type of deal.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Unhappy 2x explosions at Fairmont Hotel near Boston Marathon finish line

Not cool:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us...ntl-homepage-t

I hope none if our fellow FTers were affected. So far, sounds like 2 explosions at the Fairmont near Copley Sq.

Sounds like casualties may not be too terrible. I'd expect security in cities and airports to be elevated. BBC says NYPD is already doing so.

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: ABBA
Far too early to speculate. Sounds like no deaths, Everyone been dealt with by the on site medical people.

Obviously every lost bag in the country will be reported as a "suspicious device" by the media - bbc just said about one in another hotel. That said, if I were in the u.s I'd avoid hanging out in hotel lobbies for a couple of hours!

It could just be a gas main!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:45 pm

My daughter was volunteering at mile 11. She is currently on the commuter rail heading back into the city. She isn't sure if the train will be able to go all the way into the city. Anyone know if the T is operating or shut down?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
CBS News says parts of the T are being shut down. Commuter rail goes nowhere near the explosion scene.

Two blasts 15 seconds apart, about a block apart from each other on Boylston. Many casualties. No claims of responsibility as yet.

CBS now reports a THIRD bomb has now gone off, with some warning beforehand from the authorities.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I heard there is a 4th device as well. #3 was advised to be set off by bombsquad with water cannon.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Boston Globe: 23 injured, 2 dead.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News I am watching said the FAA has now imposed flight restrictions over the area.

Mandarion Oriental and Lennox hotels have been evacuated too according to the same source.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mules
My daughter was volunteering at mile 11. She is currently on the commuter rail heading back into the city. She isn't sure if the train will be able to go all the way into the city. Anyone know if the T is operating or shut down?
Green line (B & C at least) is shut down AFAIK.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:19 pm

She has to take the orange line to get home but has a place to stay if it isn't running.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I read the police detonated a 3rd bomb, & there's talk there may be a 4th. For those who are Omni-enabled, there's a thread in OmniPR where someone who works near where the explosions occurred is reporting. I've also bumped a thread in travel/fitness, as we have some FTers who run marathons (including Boston) in hopes they'll report in they're ok. There's also a thread in TravelBuzz re: the explosions.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12:20596472
Green line (B & C at least) is shut down AFAIK.
All green line branches, D & E included, route via Copley.
E branch switches under BPL to route via Huntington.
The remaining branches split further out near Kenmore.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by mules
Follow the MBTA on twitter, they are issuing live updates for closings. This one for example was retweeted by the news station

#MBTA: Green Line CLOSED from Kenmore and Park Street, B- and C-Line service closed. Orange/Red Line will bypass Downtown Crossing. #wcvb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.