Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Nemo - Prospect for flights over the next few days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Specifically I am planning on flying out Sunday early morning to Boston on Delta. Can someone more familiar with Boston and weather incidents give some insight as to the likelihood of getting into Boston on Sunday?

I talked to some from boston and they felt that by Sunday, at some point during the day, flights will likely resume. I know the storm is going to hit hard this evening through at least Saturday.

Delta has not cancelled my flights, although I hear several hundred others were cancelled, so I am assuming Monday is likely safe for now, but I am trying to understand better when flights would likely resume.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:20 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Logan will be open on Sunday for sure. Snow will be done before 6PM today (significant snow will be done by 2-3PM). Whether planes are in position or not to make early Sunday flights is a good question.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Logan will be open on Sunday for sure. Snow will be done before 6PM today (significant snow will be done by 2-3PM). Whether planes are in position or not to make early Sunday flights is a good question.
Agree that Logan should be open and mostly back to normal (for arrivals) on Sunday. Airlines are going to want to get as many incoming flights here so that they are then positioned for outbound passengers. Once the airport is open, incoming flights such as yours are as much up to Delta's operational decisions as they are to the airport's restrictions.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They have announced that they will not be able to make their 4 PM time to reopen the airport today, and are hoping to open at 11 PM

Logan International Airport will not have a runway open until at least 11 p.m. on Saturday, airport officials said. Authorities pulled crews off the airfield for five hours overnight due to whiteout conditions, causing the snow to pile up. “It’s very tough going and there’s still challenging conditions,” said Matthew Brelis, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Port Authority, which runs Logan.

Earlier, Massport officials expected to be ready for air traffic by 4 p.m. With most planes unable to get into Boston tonight, Sunday outbound travel will be limited. Normally, between 30 and 40 aircraft are parked at the airport overnight in order to be in place for the next morning’s flights out of Logan, Brelis said.

Internationals already on the way for arrival shortly after 4 will probably be diverted to another airport.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With the moveback to 2300 ET, it's much less likely that Sunday AM flights will go as scheduled, particularly if that 2300 gets pushed back further.

There's no way you can predict these things, so just keep watching, be prepared to fly and have a plan if you can't.

Also, make sure that your ground arrangements in Boston will work. Public transportation shut down at least until tomorrow and roads more than likely to reopen late tonight, but can't count on it. Taxis / car services parked outdoors may take days to get back into operation.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
With the moveback to 2300 ET, it's much less likely that Sunday AM flights will go as scheduled, particularly if that 2300 gets pushed back further.

There's no way you can predict these things, so just keep watching, be prepared to fly and have a plan if you can't.

Also, make sure that your ground arrangements in Boston will work. Public transportation shut down at least until tomorrow and roads more than likely to reopen late tonight, but can't count on it. Taxis / car services parked outdoors may take days to get back into operation.
But the airport should be operational for arrivals on Sunday, which is the OP's plan. Definitely should check Massport's Logan site and Boston.com for the latest news. And your airline, obviously.

Governor Patrick just announced that the travel ban will be lifted at 4PM today.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:44 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Travel ban lifted, but public transit "we are aiming for restoral for Monday, can't make any promises for Sunday".
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:31 pm

MBTA has cancelled service for tomorrow (Sunday). Assuming we make it to Boston, we've got four hours to make it to South Station for Amtrak (which looks like it might be okay), so fingers crossed on taxis.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:43 am

I have not seen if the non-MBTA water taxis are running or not - might want to check out this possible alternative to Rowes Wharf

Not an awful walk from there to South Station (unless you have a ton of luggage)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
The MBTA will resume limited MBTA subway and key bus route service effective 2pm, Sunday, February 10, 2013. Limited service will operate on the MBTA's Red, Orange, Blue between Orient Heights and Government Center, and Green Line between Kenmore and Lechmere. Limited bus service will also operate on the 1, 23, 28, 39, and Silver Line Washington Street Only. Unless necessary, customers are encouraged to stay home and use service sparingly.

http://mbta.com/weather/

So anyone should be able to get from the airport to downtown via the Blue line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.