Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Driving From Philadelphia to Cape Cod

Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Hello,

2 weeks from today (Saturday) we will be making the journey from Philadelphia to Cape Cod (South Yarmouth). We were wondering how long roughly with traffic this journey will take? Google maps says 6 hours 37 mins on the I-95, but from what I've read traffic over the Bourne Bridge will be bad? Also, between Philadelphia and New York is the traffic likely to be very heavy on a Saturday morning?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It all depends on the time of day (Morning can mean 2 am or 10 am) and what construction and the rest is going on. There will be traffic probably over the bridge to get to the cape.

Depending on what's going on, there may also be traffic crossing the George Washington Bridge (if you don't have an EZ pass plan on waiting for the cash tools too along the way). If it's a beautiful sunny day like today, there will possibly be slowdowns at all the exits for the Connecticut beaches (exit 18, exit 60 I believe, etc)

It won't be rush hour bad, but you may not go 70 all the way either. The good thing is that's probably not going to be as heavy as a regular Saturday, I think many people will combine either Monday and Tuesday or Wednesday and Thursday with the 4th and make a long weekend so the heaviest day will probably be Sunday.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
take a different route

I don't live in Philadelphia but I have driven to Harrisburg from the Cape many times. I have found the traffic in CT along the coast i.e. 95 to be horrible as one gets nearer to NY. Also there is a lot of construction underway. We always travel via the Tappen Zee bridge and took the somewhat longer route via the Merritt Parkway and eventually rejoin 95 at Milford. Cross the Cape Cod cannel on the Bourne rather than the SAgamore which is under construction again this summer and then parallel the east side of the cannel on and up to Route 6 . Times to avoid are Friday evening and Saturdays between 10 am and 4 or 5 pm. Other times are not usually that bad.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! We were planning to leave at 10/11am but will probably set off a little earlier just incase, particularly if there is construction going on.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:52 pm

I believe that all construction/painting/whatever projects on the two bridges are stopped for the summer. Still will be traffic though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.