Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

HELP! Need seafood restaurant recommendation in BOS ASAP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum

Am in town for a convention with a new team and have been asked to reserve a table for dinner tomorrow night... 8 people for seafood. No one wants a chain, so Legal is out.

We are attending a cocktail event at Fenway first....we do have cars, but would still like it to be within a reasonable distance.

FWIW, had Italian in the North End tonight.

All help and recommendations appreciated!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You also don't want Legal because it's not very good.

Some of the best seafood is being served up at Island Creek Oyster Bar, which happens to be very close to Fenway. Opentable shows that they have a table for 8 available at 9:30. Perhaps if you call you can get an earlier reservation.

East Coast Grill, in Cambridge but a fairly easy drive from Fenway, has a very seafood-centric menu, and takes reservations for parties of six or more. They also have excellent barbecue. Parking is tough in the area, but they have their own lot across the street ($5/car).
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Another vote for East Coast.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you both. I am going to try for East Coast...but Island Creek looks great too.

And I couldn't agree more about Legal, but as soon as mention BOS, someone says " oh, you have to try this great seafood place called Legal...."
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Where did you end up and how was it?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

I still have a job!

Ended up at East Coast Grill. When I called this AM, told them I was new kid on the team and wanted to still have a job when dinner was over!. Boy, did they respond.

Nice table in the "lower" dining room , great waitperson. Ordered tuna tortillas, soft shell crabs, variety of raw oysters and clams, and fried green tomato's for apps. All were perfect.

I lived in MD for years, and am incredibly picky about crab. The softshells were so great I changed my dinner and had them create one with more softshells! Other people ordererd seared scallops/shrimp, fish, vegan, etc- and everyone loved every dinner.

Unconditionally recommend. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but really, really good food. Nice selection, "different" without being so out there that it is out of place for a business dinner.

THANK YOU Blumie and Mike...made the newbie look great!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
ECG is my favorite place to take out of town visitors.

By the way, I think Legal Seafoods is actually UNDER-rated. Don't go there often but all of my experiences have been good.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Obviously missed the boat on this, but glad ECG worked out!

I'm a big fan of the restaurant, especially as it's walking distance from me. (Though the last time I was there, I was with FTers for a Hell Night...let's just say that my digestive system was pretty unhappy with me that evening. )
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Yahtzee

By the way, I think Legal Seafoods is actually UNDER-rated. Don't go there often but all of my experiences have been good.
Agree with you on ECG. Disagree with you on Legal. Some good meals; many more disappointing ones.

Originally Posted by JY1024
Obviously missed the boat on this, but glad ECG worked out!

I'm a big fan of the restaurant, especially as it's walking distance from me. (Though the last time I was there, I was with FTers for a Hell Night...let's just say that my digestive system was pretty unhappy with me that evening. )
The next Hell Nights will be announced on August 1. I can't wait!!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Well my mouth is now watering.

Sounds like it's time for another FT ECG hell night outing!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee

I often go to Legal not because their food is the absolute best quality (it's really not, it's fairly boring and sometimes a bit weird), but because they are rigorous about allergies. Knowing that I can eat my somewhat boring grilled bluefish meal without my dining companion's shrimp - or the undetectable and unlisted shrimp in the stock they use for the clam chowder, or the fact that they use the same steamers for oysters and lobsters - killing me is definitely worth it. It's not something a lot of Boston seafood restaurants are as good at.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KateW
I often go to Legal not because their food is the absolute best quality (it's really not, it's fairly boring and sometimes a bit weird), but because they are rigorous about allergies. Knowing that I can eat my somewhat boring grilled bluefish meal without my dining companion's shrimp - or the undetectable and unlisted shrimp in the stock they use for the clam chowder, or the fact that they use the same steamers for oysters and lobsters - killing me is definitely worth it. It's not something a lot of Boston seafood restaurants are as good at.
And consistency with an absolute certainty is a major factor for many people - whether it is due to allergies or for other reasons. And there is nothing wrong with that....IMO if one is happy with food received for $$$ paid, you had a good meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.