Wiki Posts
Search

PVD vs BOS: Balance shifts?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
PVD vs BOS: Balance shifts?

I fly frequently to New England for work, and PVD and BOS are about equal distance from my ultimate destination. Until last week, I preferred PVD to BOS because it is much easier to get in and out. But honestly, the new rental car garage facility that opened last week at PVD may tip the scales back to BOS. The new PVD garage is at least 1/3 of a mile (maybe 1/2?) walk in an enclosed covered walkway with a very slow moving sidewalk. I don't think this is any faster than taking the bus at BOS. So the only issue now is that traffic is easier at PVD than BOS.

I'm curious as to others' reactions.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Where exactly do you have to go and at what time of day?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Even if the walk is 1/2 a mile, that walk still is a lot faster than taking the bus from BOS to any of the rental car lots.

BTW, you may not be aware of this, but it is possible actually to walk while you're on the moving sidewalk, which, by the laws of physics, will allow you to travel faster than either standing on the moving sidewalk or walking adjacent to the moving sidewalk.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Assuming you are walking in the direction the sidewalk is moving.

I think which airport totally depends on exactly where you are going, and time of day.

If you are right in the middle, PVD to me makes the most sense, even if it's a ten minute walk to get the car.

It is by the way a 1,570 foot walkway, less than 1/3 of a mile from the transportation hub to the terminals. I have to believe in many cases you will be at the rental counters before the bus even showed up in Boston.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Were I back in my business travel days (driving to Worcester from the airport, with a rollaboard and a laptop), the new rental pickup arrangement at PVD wouldn't make much difference to me. Yeah, more of a hike than the previous, extremely convenient, placement, but the ease of getting into and out of PVD compared with BOS would tip the balance as long as I was going someplace outside of 128.

The powers that be at PVD have, however, made things extremely inconvenient for someone with a disability. Last weekend I was traveling with my partner, who is in a wheelchair. For the full 1,570 feet, I pushed while he balanced our luggage (rolling soft-sided bag, CPAP machine, fanny pack containing his wallet and miscelaneous stuff) on his lap. The moving sidewalks were operating, but the difference in height between the floor and the sidewalks was more than other models of moving sidewalks (e.g., the ones installed at DTW), resulting in a pretty sever jolt at each end. When we left on Sunday (late morning), two of the inbound sidewalks weren't working, so we didn't even have that assist.

Inside the transport center, the Hertz #1 Gold counter is built on a platform with a ramp, but only a small platform outside the door to wait on while I opened the door (no automatic door). Again more inconvenient than previously.

Now, in our case, we're going to the Attleboro/Norton/Rehoboth area, so PVD really is the best option overall. They have, however, managed to make the airport way less convenient than previously.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Lets see...

Boston: Arrive, long walk through the terminal, go outside, wait for shuttle bus, get on shuttle bus with 300 other people, thaw out from freezing while waiting for shuttle bus.....

PVD: Stay indoors, trudge 1/4 mile on moving sidewalk, to rental counter.....

Shuttle bus is no better for those with diasbilities, I suspect.

I've been marvelling at how stupid this commuter parking garage/train station is in another thread here, as the train service is not for air travelers. Fortunately, I wont be renting a car there and thus not paying whatever giant fee they schmear on air travelers to pay for a commuter parking garage.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Haven't been to PVD since the spring... Theres a new Rental Car garage? I used to have to catch the bus to get to the National in PVD also.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:48 pm

Yes-Central Parking Garage and Rental Car at PVD

FWIW-yes, there is now a central parking garage and rental car pick-up at PVD. No more taking a bus from outside the arrival area to the rental car locations. As mentioned in prior posts it does take a series of long moving sidewalks to get from the terminal to the central garage. But no more standing in the sun or waiting in the cold for the proper bus to arrive.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by steve-o
FWIW-yes, there is now a central parking garage and rental car pick-up at PVD. No more taking a bus from outside the arrival area to the rental car locations. As mentioned in prior posts it does take a series of long moving sidewalks to get from the terminal to the central garage. But no more standing in the sun or waiting in the cold for the proper bus to arrive.
?

Back in the days when I rented at PVD (a few years ago, and saw the rentals last time I flew out of PVD 6 months ago), the car rentals were in garage A -- a short walk form the terminal, though outdoors, under cover. I guess some agencies might have shuttled, but not the majors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.