Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Cambridge Dining Suggestions

Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Driving Alex up to MIT for a "shadow" day tomorrow night. Will be staying at the Hyatt nearby w/car. Looking for any suggestions for a "reasonable" priced place for dinner Sunday evening and possibly a quick bite on Monday afternoon before driving back home to central CT. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Driving Alex up to MIT for a "shadow" day tomorrow night. Will be staying at the Hyatt nearby w/car. Looking for any suggestions for a "reasonable" priced place for dinner Sunday evening and possibly a quick bite on Monday afternoon before driving back home to central CT. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Carolyn
For the quick bite, try Miracle of Science on Mass Ave just down the street from MIT. Very good burgers and satays. There's a great dive Chinese place a bit futher down Mass Ave - called Mary Chung's. Best Peking ravioli in greater Boston.

RendezVous right on Mass in Central Square has a $38 prix fixe special on Sunday nights - a great restaurant. Might be a bit grown up for some teenagers. A very fun and delicious restaurant that will be open on Sunday is the East Coast Grill in Inman Square (parking lot for $5 across the street) - hotel can direct you.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
At Mary Chung, try the suan la chow show in preference to
the IMO mundane Peking dumplings.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
For the quick bite, try Miracle of Science on Mass Ave just down the street from MIT. Very good burgers and satays. There's a great dive Chinese place a bit futher down Mass Ave - called Mary Chung's. Best Peking ravioli in greater Boston.

RendezVous right on Mass in Central Square has a $38 prix fixe special on Sunday nights - a great restaurant. Might be a bit grown up for some teenagers. A very fun and delicious restaurant that will be open on Sunday is the East Coast Grill in Inman Square (parking lot for $5 across the street) - hotel can direct you.
Excellent recommendations. I'm a big fan of East Coast Grill, but also love Rendezvous and Miracle of Science.

For Monday's quick bite, grab a sandwich at Flour Bakery & Cafe, very close to MIT on Mass Ave.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Blumie
Excellent recommendations. I'm a big fan of East Coast Grill, but also love Rendezvous and Miracle of Science.

For Monday's quick bite, grab a sandwich at Flour Bakery & Cafe, very close to MIT on Mass Ave.
Also a big ECG fan. Went to hell night a couple weeks ago. Super magical. I did not order the pasta. Also did not win (or is not getting the one winning?) meatball roulette.

Same owner a couple doors down is the All-Star Sandwich Bar. Great place for lunch, though a bit pricey for sandwiches, but definitely worth it.

I'll need to try the other two suggestions
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,
Got in later than anticipated last night but will definitely use the recs above to do takeout later than afternoon since we need to (hopefully) get on the road before rush hour commences.
carolyn
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75
Also a big ECG fan. Went to hell night a couple weeks ago. Super magical. I did not order the pasta. Also did not win (or is not getting the one winning?) meatball roulette.

Same owner a couple doors down is the All-Star Sandwich Bar. Great place for lunch, though a bit pricey for sandwiches, but definitely worth it.

I'll need to try the other two suggestions
I'm a fan of All Star Sandwich Bar, too, but I believe they no longer are under the same ownership. I had heard a while ago that Chris Shlesinger was looking to sell ASSB.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a fan of All Star Sandwich Bar, too, but I believe they no longer are under the same ownership. I had heard a while ago that Chris Shlesinger was looking to sell ASSB.
Hmm. Seems you're correct. Purchased ~2 years ago by a pair of Greek brothers. Most of the original menu has been retained, with new specials rotating regularly. Still a 'worth it' place to eat.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. Seems you're correct. Purchased ~2 years ago by a pair of Greek brothers. Most of the original menu has been retained, with new specials rotating regularly. Still a 'worth it' place to eat.
Yeah, I've eaten there several times in the past two years, and see no discernible differences. Definitely worth going to.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I've eaten there several times in the past two years, and see no discernible differences. Definitely worth going to.
Except prices have gone up.

New Hell Night announced for the beginning of Dec. How about a BOS Hell DO? I'll make the res, if anyone's interested.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

New Hell Night announced for the beginning of Dec. How about a BOS Hell DO? I'll make the res, if anyone's interested.
I think I'm too old for Hell Night - but I used to love it. I mainly went and watched my friends sweat while I got something on the mild side. Can definitely do a Mary Chung's version of hell night any visit there.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm very interested. What are the dates? Note that hell night sells out immediately; you'll need to call the moment reservations become available.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a last resort (almost a first resort since my last experience went so well) is the bar is first come, first served. This is how I rolled last time a couple weeks ago. The bartender there is awesome. I was a party of three, we had two seats while waiting for the third to arive. When he did and a single seat opened up, he made the whole bar move so we could sit together. Wait was no longer than 10-15 mins.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'd be interested. (I live right down the street from ECG.)

Even if we can't get in for Hell Night, I'd be down for helping plan a BOS DO. (Haven't met up with any local FTers since Dovster was last in town...)
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JY1024
I'd be interested. (I live right down the street from ECG.)

Even if we can't get in for Hell Night, I'd be down for helping plan a BOS DO. (Haven't met up with any local FTers since Dovster was last in town...)
Me either.

Went to Miracle of Science last night after work. Enjoyed it and will return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.