Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 18, 10, 7:42 pm   #1

How many miles???

I will be leaving from Bangor Maine and travelling to Kittery. I would like to stop off at Freeport and just wondering how many miles or how long it would be to go off the Highway into Freeport. Thank You
cape bretoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 10, 7:44 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
assuming you are headed to downtown Freeport and the LL Bean outlet, it is perhaps one mile from I 295. Traffic might make it seem longer.
OB one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:13 am   #3

That is where

I am headed. Thanks so much for the information.
cape bretoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 10, 12:43 pm   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Done that drive many, many times. Watch for the Maine State police on 295. Seriously. Take 95 to 295. Freeport is on 295 (exit 22 for you) and when you exit, you're practically in LL Bean's backyard.

When you leave Freeport and get back on 295, take Exit 11 to Route 95/the Maine Turnpike.

Freeport is about 2-2 1/4 hours from Bangor. Freeport is about 1 1/2 hours from Kittery.

Last edited by Analise; Sep 20, 10 at 9:41 am. Reason: Made correction in 2nd paragraph
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 3:57 am   #5
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
When you leave Freeport and get back on 295, ignore Exit 10 that tells you to get back to the Maine Turnpike. That's totally out of the way and they want you to go back to paying tolls. Stay on 295 and take it to the end (exit 1 is the Maine Turnpike). Kittery is then about 35-45 minutes south of Portland.
Small correction. If you were take Exit 11 (Exit 10 is for Bucknam Road, Falmouth), you could get on the Maine Turnpike southbound and it would not cost any different than taking 295 to the end ($1 for a passenger car either option). And in fact, there is a TON of construction happening on 295 through the Portland area right now, so I would suggest you take Exit 11 rather than drive through downtown Portland unless you have a stop to make in Portland or South Portland.

Now for one of the best kept secrets in Maine... On the way back North, you will want to get back onto 295, but DO NOT take exit 44 (they charge a toll at exit 44)... take exit 45 instead which puts you on another little divided highway. Don't take the first exit there (for the Mall area), but take the second exit, and voila, you've gotten back on 295 without paying a toll. Only takes about an additional minute, but you've saved a buck!
lo2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 10, 9:38 am   #6
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Small correction. If you were take Exit 11 (Exit 10 is for Bucknam Road, Falmouth), you could get on the Maine Turnpike southbound and it would not cost any different than taking 295 to the end ($1 for a passenger car either option). And in fact, there is a TON of construction happening on 295 through the Portland area right now, so I would suggest you take Exit 11 rather than drive through downtown Portland unless you have a stop to make in Portland or South Portland.
I remember some 295 construction but didn't realize that it was causing driving hassles. Also thought it was exit 10 that led drivers back to the Maine Turnpike. I'll rewrite my second paragraph.

Quote:
Now for one of the best kept secrets in Maine... On the way back North, you will want to get back onto 295, but DO NOT take exit 44 (they charge a toll at exit 44)... take exit 45 instead which puts you on another little divided highway. Don't take the first exit there (for the Mall area), but take the second exit, and voila, you've gotten back on 295 without paying a toll. Only takes about an additional minute, but you've saved a buck!
This "secret" I know! Exit 45 puts you on the "connector" that allows you to get right to 295 without paying a toll. Learned about that from taking the Concord bus from BOS.

Last edited by Analise; Sep 20, 10 at 9:43 am.
Analise is offline   Reply With Quote