Wiki Posts
Search

Boston College trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Boston College trip

Hi ,

I will be in Boston Sept 23-26 to visit come colleges with my wife & son. We will be visiting Northeastern, MIT & BC. Does anyone have any suggestions at to hotels? I'm even open to staying outside of town and coming in just for the campus visit. I will probably Priceline something or else use some Starwood or Hilton points.

Thanks

Jerry
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Have you spent any time in Boston before ? I would think you would stay in town to get a feel for the city. It will be great weather in Sept.

If you have the extra points, I would recommend some place like the Westin Copley. Right in the middle of everything downtown and very close to public transportation to get to NU, BC, MIT.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1035

Cambridge LeMeridien:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3253

You can find any hotel chain and many more. If there was a specific area of Boston you wanted to stay in, probably could narrow the recommendations.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Are you planning to use transit, or to rent a car? BC, MIT, and Northeastern are all in different parts of the area; the interactive street map at http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/ may be helpful for identifying proximate stations.

I might suggest the Back Bay, which would be walking distance to NEU and MIT (across the bridge), and a longish but tolerable Green Line ride to BC.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:50 am

It's going to be inconvenient, though hardly impossible, visiting BC without a car. If you have a car, two relatively central hotels would be the Crowne Plaza in Newton and the Doubletree Suites in Allston/Cambridge. The Hyatt on Memorial Drive would also not be a bad choice, and it's often available at a great price.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
The Hyatt on Memorial will be impossible without a car. There's a bus stop right in front, but it's the most inconvenient, infrequent, go nowhere bus in the system. The hotel is otherwise completely disconnected from everything (without a car).

I disagree BC is inconvenient without a car. The Green line (B train) goes right to the main entrance to the campus.

If it's your first trip to Boston, or are not experienced with driving in Boston, I'd skip the car. Every college you list is easily accessible by T or foot.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I second the opinions that you should plan to take the T rather than drive -- will be a good experience for your son to see what student life is really like in Boston.

If you've got hotel points, I agree that the Westin Copley is a good bet (walkable to Northeastern and pretty subway accessible to the others). Hilton Back Bay would also work - although not as nice as the Westin.

The Meridien Cambridge is a bit less desirable location but perfectly fine hotel. If you end up there, PM me for some walking-distance restaurant recommendations.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!!

I have stayed in Boston once before , for one night before and one night after on a trip to Vermont. We stayed at the Westin Copley but it was a special, something like $99 or $119 a night! Looking now, the Westin and Sheraton are over 300. I especialy like that its walking distance to both MIT and NEU, maybe walking the campus's will give us a better feel for living there.

Is that the normal price there or is there something special happening over that time period?

My sister was recommending staying in Worchster .. but that is 1 1/2 hours away by train

I was thinking maybe a day in the Copley / Backbay area and maybe another outside the city as BC is no as centrally located. Does that sound reasonable?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Worcester is too far. Have you considered Pricelining? That's what we do when stay in Boston.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Our son is at Tufts. When the prices are nuts in Boston proper, we frequently stay at the Hilton Garden Inn out in Burlington. There is also a nice Homewood Suites in Arlington which we have stayed at a couple of times. Both are good bets, depending upon what price they are at. We have seen significant fluctuation, depending upon football games, "Head of the Charles", Parents Weekend at various schools, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:55 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by jimi727
My sister was recommending staying in Worchster .. but that is 1 1/2 hours away by train
Agreed with Analise, Worcester is WAY too far out of your way.

I was thinking maybe a day in the Copley / Backbay area and maybe another outside the city as BC is no as centrally located. Does that sound reasonable?
I don't think there are really any hotels in the immediate BC area, so I think your best bet is to just stay in the same place for both nights and take the T to BC, especially if you won't have a car. If you are driving, then changing hotels makes sense to at least save on parking charges for that second night.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:53 am

With those 3 schools, I think renting a car is a waste of money. Use priceline or hotwire to get a decent deal on a hotel in Boston because autumn is a great time to be in Boston and the hotel prices reflect that.

With PL, Boston offers many areas from which to bid in which you can take public transportation and have no need to drive and park in Boston. Boston driving makes NYC driving look stressless.

Just do your research. Check out the maps for each area (use google maps too) to see for yourself that there are T stations within walking distance.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
The guy from Worcester agrees that Worcester is too far especially for a short visit. Find a place by a T stop and take the T.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Thanks for the info!!

Is that the normal price there or is there something special happening over that time period?

September/October is an expensive time in Boston/Cambridge. Don't think it's worth staying in two different places.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
I concur that Back Bay would be a perfect area given your destinations. Easy walk to NEU (where my wife's son is a student) and an easy ride on the green line out to BC (where my son's wife is a student). How's that for symmetry. And a terrific neighborhood, as you know. As *wood people, we really like the Westin Copley if the prices are reasonable, but they are not for that period. Our next choice is the Copley Inn (http://www.copleyinn.com/index.php) which is a privately owned 4-story B&B without the B. VERY nice owner. Clean, comfortable accommodations, the same great location, and a price around $165. It's a well-kept secret we learned from friends who had to stay for an extended period while a family member was in one of the hospitals in the Longview areas, and we've enjoyed it many times since. The location is ideal. Lots of excellent restaurants nearby. We particularly enjoyed Lucca on Huntington - about 2 blocks away.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Another decent option would be Coolidge Corner Courtyard. Right on the green line (take it to Cleveland Circle and then a bus or walk to BC from there) so getting to Northeastern is very easy. MIT wouldn't be hard from there either (you could walk if you wanted to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.