Wiki Posts
Search

Acadia National Park in Maine - somewhat disappointing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Acadia National Park in Maine

We just spent several days in the Bar Harbor area and decided to go through Acadia National Park. We drove to the top of Cadillac Mountain, and yes, it was a nice view, but there are views like that and nicer all through the mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont. We also roamed around the coast line of the park and again there was nothing special that one cannot find in many other places along the New England coast line.

This was in dramatic contrast towhat we have experienced in other parks, such as the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Bryce, and Zion, where there are truly unique and spectacular sights.

We wondered what was so special about the area of Acadia that justified it being a Natl Park. What did we miss?

Last edited by JerryFF; Sep 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:38 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by JerryFF
We just spent several days in the Bar Harbor area and decided to go through Acadia National Park. We drove to the top of Cadillac Mountain, and yes, it was a nice view, but there are views like that and nicer all through the mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont. We also roamed around the coast line of the park and again there was nothing special that one cannot find in many other places along the New England coast line.

This was in dramatic contrast towhat we have experienced in other parks, such as the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Bryce, and Zion, where there are truly unique and spectacular sights.

We wondered what was so special about the area of Acadia that justified it being a Natl Park. What did we miss?
Dare I ask what you were expecting to see that you didn't? It's a national park that's on the coast of Maine that happens to have a mountain in it. And funny, I don't think there are any mountains in New Hampshire or Vermont that have views of the ocean. Except perhaps Mount Washington on an absolutely flawless, cloudless, fogless day, which is very rare.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I think it's intended to be a more relaxing experience than Yosemite or Grand Canyon, etc. First of all, you need to get out of the car. There's a lots of biking, hiking, boating and kayaking -- I think you go there to do that, eat lobster and look at the ocean.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Acadia vs the Grand Canyon, you are kidding, right? imho, Acadia is best explored on foot with a long hike, by bike, or in a kayak. Driving to the top of Mt Cadillac is okay for a very short time. There are a range of national parks, some are spectacular, some are good for shorter periods of time, for example, the Lowell Mills National Park is good for a day, not a vacation, but Cape Cod National Seashore is good for a vacation but you have to get out of the car.

and as I went to find the links, Yahtzee gave the very same advice.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:50 am

By golly, I demand that all our National Parks be super spectacular or take down their signs. Seriously, I think Acadia is pretty nice. Did you know that from atop Cadillac Mountain you'll see the sun rise before anywhere else in the US? Not the farthest east, but the elevation gives you that advantage.

Oh, and yes, the two previous posters are correct. Sometimes you just have to get out of the car.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What did you miss? You missed the essense of the park where you can escape the touristy parts and really enjoy the beauty and breadth of it. This is particularly important when you're there the busiest time of year. Did you go to the quiet side of the island? Talk about trails galore along with swimming in Echo Lake. What about the Schoodic Peninsula? How was that? How was Otter Cliffs?

How much hiking did you do? Acadia is more than driving from point A to point B. What kinds of trails were your favorites? Which mountains did you climb on FOOT? What about the nice easy trail by Eagle Lake? This time of year the blueberries are there to be picked which often slows down your hike. How far did you go before you succumbed to those delicious berries?

How much planning did you before you arrived? Did you seek out a trail book? Areas to swim? What about taking a boat to Isle le Haut?

I would be disappointed too if I didn't do what I mentioned above.

Ohhh, if you're going to drive to the top of Mt Cadillac, you need to do it in the dark so you can be there BEFORE the beginning of sunrise. Now, you might think the national park system might have cheated you if there is fog up there and you end up wetter than you had imagined. But then again, that's part of the fun.

My husband and I are going on vacation starting tomorrow and we will be spending quite a few days at Mount Desert Island next week. MDI is where most of Acadia is located. You did know that Acadia is more than just two steps from Bar Harbor. That's why I wanted to know about your experience on the quiet side of MDI far from Bar Harbor like by Seal Cove. That's just gorgeous!!

We will hike Otter Cliffs, walk on the Sea Wall, hike along the Schoodic, go to the top of Cadillac at sunrise, eat blueberries galore around Eagle Lake, go kayaking, eat lobster at Thurstons, explore the trails around the Sommes Sound, and do some bike riding.

Mountains, the ocean, lakes, ponds, bays, the best of the outdoors. This is why Acadia is best enjoyed away from your car and on trails. Balsam and ocean air....talk about perfection.

3 more days and we're there! Sorry this wasn't the kind of place for you.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
This is a Boston Globe columnist's (slightly tongue-in-cheek) take on one aspect of being isolated in Acadia National Park.

(Personally, I love the place, but YMMV.)
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I obviously touched a sore point. My wife and I are in our late 60s, and while many folks are still able to hike up a 1500' mountain or ride a kayak down some rapids at that age, we are not (I won't go into the details). We were also with our young grandchildren. And yes, we read the guidebooks before we went.

I don't deny that any nature experience is greatly enhanced by this type of activity. I used to backpack, hike, and camp all over the west. The view as one crosses over Kearsarge Pass at 12000 feet in the southern Sierra after a climb of 2500' from Onion Valley is truly unbelievable and something one could never experience from a car. But having been to a number of national parks elsewhere in the country where you can get some unique views without hiking into the backcountry, I was disappointed. I guess some of us just don't appreciate the subtleties of the area.

Yes, I know you can see sunrise from Mt Cadillac earlier than anywhere else in the US. That was well publicized. I'm not sure how that piece of information enhances one's sensual experiences while there, however.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:08 pm
Ambassador, New England

So I guess what you're saying is that the guidebook wasn't exactly clear as to HOW to get to the beauty of the area, not so much that the park itself was inadequate?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
So I guess what you're saying is that the guidebook wasn't exactly clear as to HOW to get to the beauty of the area, not so much that the park itself was inadequate?
What I am saying is that, under the circumstances, I was physically unable to hike any long distances or climb any significant altitudes, and if that is what it takes to get to the real beauty of the area, then I am unfortunately physically incapable of making the most of this national park. That is unlike many other national parks I have visited, where some of the most spectacular scenery is accessible without lengthy hikes or climbs.

That is my only point. If you disagree or are offended, I am sorry and apologize.

Last edited by JerryFF; Aug 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:49 pm
Ambassador, New England

No offense taken, and sorry it wasn't accessible to you (and I understand why). Perhaps a note to either the National Park Service about the accessibility or to the guidebook writer/publisher about more specific detail about what to expect would be the best thing you can do at this point, other than calling this a "lesson learned" that not all National Parks are created equal.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
The carriage roads (no cars allowed) provide wonderful access into quiet woods for people not up to mountain trails.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:27 am

I obviously touched a sore point. My wife and I are in our late 60s, and while many folks are still able to hike up a 1500' mountain or ride a kayak down some rapids at that age, we are not (I won't go into the details). We were also with our young grandchildren. And yes, we read the guidebooks before we went.
It never occurred to me that age would stop you as my father who is now 81 loves going to Acadia walking on the carriage roads especially around Eagle Lake, taking a walk on the Ocean path (very, very easy), horseback riding at Wildwood stables, hearing lectures by the park rangers (both during the day and at night), takes boat rides including whale watches and lobster boats, and just loves taking in the beauty of Acadia. He also enjoyed the jazz musicians at the Village Green at Bar Harbor.

I just spent nearly a week in Acadia and I can't tell you how many grandparents I've seen with their children and grandchildren. This year, this was especially the case among Asian Indian families. Age may be your reason but it is by no means whatsoever universal. And I'm glad for that.

If your world of Acadia is simply the top of Mt Cadillac then you never experienced even 10% of what this national gem offers. Not once did I hear you mention the quiet side of the island including Bass Harbor (and its lighthouse), Bernard (and Thurstons), and the galleries and museums of Southwest Harbor. Enjoy the Grand Canyon. No question, it's amazing.

As an aside, unless we were in the villages of Bar Harbor, Northeast Harbor or Southwest Harbor, we had ZERO cell phone coverage. No internet coverage either unless we were in our rooms for the night. WHAT A GREAT THING! I hope other national parks follow suit.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by lo2e
No offense taken, and sorry it wasn't accessible to you (and I understand why). Perhaps a note to either the National Park Service about the accessibility or to the guidebook writer/publisher about more specific detail about what to expect would be the best thing you can do at this point, other than calling this a "lesson learned" that not all National Parks are created equal.
The guide books are very thorough especially about what is accessible to those who are handicapped. There is an 8 route Island Explorer shuttle service that not only provides service every 30 minutes during the summer peak time throughout most of Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park but also goes to the Schoodic peninsula on the mainland which is about 45 mins to an hour away from Bar Harbor from where they originate. The cost of this service? It's free. LL Bean picks up the tab. The Island Explorer continues through Columbus Day but not every 30 minutes.

The bathroom facilities at Explorer stops are handicapped accessible too. Now I'm not saying that those of my father's generation are handicapped—far from it! I'm saying that the facilities are there for those in wheel chairs, walkers and the like.

Acadia is not just for those who are master hikers!

http://www.exploreacadia.com/

Last edited by Analise; Aug 23, 2010 at 11:47 am
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:01 pm

JerryFF, as I was the one with the truly snarky reply, I sincerely apologize. I guess I felt invited to comment by the last line of your post. Down here in Texas, we have only two national parks, Guadalupe and Big Bend, and neither of them are very interesting if you restrict yourself to what's visible from a car. Guadalupe, in particular, takes at least 4 hours of hiking to get to the start of the good stuff. Many (most) national parks were created with the idea of providing protection for natural resources, not to provide easy access to them. One of our most spectacular parks, Yosemite, is constantly criticized for the huge throngs that visit by carload and bus in the summer. Thankfully, there's plenty there that requires a fair amount of hiking to reach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.