Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Nicest areas to walk around Boston on a Saturday, Sunday, and Monday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I'm going to be in Boston in a few weeks for a Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

I'm planning on taking the Harvard Uni public tour but otherwise don't want to do anything touristy.

What would be some nice areas of town to walk around on these days of the week?

When I have looked up google maps street view for a few parts of Boston most of what I've seen looks very concrete jungle?

I enjoy walking so definitely up for some longer walks. Looking for areas that have enough going on to make walking around interesting.

Will have my picnic blanket with me so keen to find somewhere to sit and get some sun.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:12 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I can personally recommend walking through East Boston and going to Scup's Restaurant. Take the T to Maverick on the blue line and head toward the waterfront. There's a beautiful park along the way and really nice views of the city.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:41 am
Original Poster

lo2e - thanks for suggestion. Are you mainly recommending the walk or the restaurant? I'm a vegetarian and only eat in vegetarian restaurants.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:51 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Actually was recommending both, but don't remember if they have any vegetarian fare. They do have a website, www.scupsinthemarina.com . The walk is beautiful even if you don't do the restaurant.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
One of the strange things about Boston is in the middle of the concrete jungle there can be a historic site, church, etc. Lots of that stuff was built around, so don't let the overhead view fool you.

If the weather is good, strolling along the Charles is also a nice way to spend some time, watching the boats go by.

This site

http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=15130

has many suggested walking tours for the Boston area (and many other parts of New England, probably the entire country, never used it outside New England)
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by cordelli
If the weather is good, strolling along the Charles is also a nice way to spend some time, watching the boats go by.
+1

I particularly like walking back from Charlestown to Boston over the locks. I'm not sure why, but it makes for a different experience than crossing one of the bridges.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. Very much appreciated!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Although really rather touristy, I still loving walking round the Boston common, Beacon Hill, the shops on Charles street, along the river etc. It will be busier than some other routes, but the ambience is wonderful, and there are occasional treasures (e.g. the world's only statue to a medical procedure!).

tb
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Take a stroll along the harbor. Start out at the Aquarium and walk toward the World Trade Center or Seaport. That's always been one of my favorite walks. It won't take too long, however.

Also has been mentioned, take a walk over to Charlestown, over to the ship yard.

And as I said in the other thread, simply walk around with no certain destination in mind.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
I love the Freedom Trail and Newbury Street - both interesting and completely opposite.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: Continental Silver, Amtrak Select Plus
Frommer's online has two free self-guided walking tours of Boston and Cambridge

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...004020033.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...004020034.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.