Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston skyline photos from Logan Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold

Hi guys,

Yes...this is a touristy question...and I got a new Canon Rebel EOS for my b'day...so...

I was wondering if there's anyplace from Logan Airport I can take a recognizable photo of the Boston skyline. Whenever I do a search, I come up with results about planespotting or there are photos taken from the runway, which I'm not looking for.

Is there a terminal, observation deck, or somewhere at Logan (I don't have a car) that isn't too far to travel to for a nice skyline photo. I don't mind walking out of the terminal areas for a little bit. Or am I wrong here is assuming there are photo-ops of the skyline? (it seems that Logan's location across the harbor would offer great shots.)

Or are there any other distinctly recognizable "Boston" photos I can take from that area?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
When I was a kid, there was an observation deck in the control tower. That was over 30 years ago; no idea if it's still there!

That said, some of the nicest photos of Boston can be taken from the Longfellow Bridge, which connects Boston, near Mass General Hospital, and Cambridge, near Kendall Square. Taking the Red Line subway to MGH puts you right at the base of the bridge.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:18 pm

Do you have time to leave the airport? If so, you can go to Piers Park off of Marginal St, in Eastie. This would be an approximately 5-10 minute walk from the Maverick station on the blue line which is one station away from Airport. Or you could hoof it the whole way in about 20 minutes from the Airport station having taken the MassPort shuttle bus to the station from the airport itself.

As for Piers park, this is your view:

This doesn't include the more recognizable skyline of the Pru, Hancock, State House, and Citgo sign. For that, you'll have to head over to Memorial Drive in Cambridge. You can get off at Kendall on the red line and walk over to the water in about five minutes from there.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

So pretty much the area around the Longfellow Bridge right? On Google Maps, it seems that Memorial Drive is Massachusetts 3A which is the Longfellow Bridge?

Anyways, I'll post the pics when I finally get a chance to get over to Boston. Thanks again!

Steve
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:03 pm

Yes, Memorial Drive. Actually, the very best spot is on Memorial Drive about 200-300 yards east of the Longfellow Bridge. That gives you a terrific view of Beacon Hill and the State House (the gold dome bldg), as well as the Charles River in front of the Back Bay, Pru, and Hancock Buildings.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Probably not what the OP had in mind, but I took a couple of shots from inside a plane while it was taxing to the gate after landing.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Probably not what the OP had in mind, but I took a couple of shots from inside a plane while it was taxing to the gate after landing.
Well, that too. Just curious, which side of the plane gave you the best view?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
If you can get the water ferry there are some good shots of the skyline, however this is a short shuttle ride and costs, so possibly not what you want.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:40 pm

I may be misremembering, but can't you get decent photos (of the Financial District, anyway) from the top of the Terminal B garage?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The rooms on the water-facing side of the Hyatt Harborside have killer views of the Boston skyline.

If not staying at the hotel, you could take either the hotel shuttle or the public bus that goes to the ferry boat dock (right next to the hotel). There's a small park-like strip between the water and the hotel structure that would probably yield some good shots:

Slideshow:

http://www.harborside.hyatt.com/hyat...d=2076&start=1
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by stevechin
Well, that too. Just curious, which side of the plane gave you the best view?
95% of the time the left side has the view (landing)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.