Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

July wedding: Westin Waltham or Hyatt Summerfield Suites?

Old May 26, 2010, 7:02 am
Original Poster

we'll be headed to a family wedding in July (cousins live in Lexington, wedding in Ipswich) ... the wedding party has reservations for the group at the Westin Waltham Boston or the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in Waltham.

The Hyatt Summerfield will be about $40 more per night on average.

Has anyone been to both? Is it worth the extra $$ for the Hyatt suite?

I'm weighing suite convenience vs. what looks like more amenities (gym etc.) at the Westin, though who knows how much time I'll have to use it/them.

Thanks!
Jon
Old May 26, 2010, 4:30 pm

Westin is the nicer hotel (facilities, staff), Summerfield has more space. Just out of curiosity, have you compared the rates for the two for weeknights? (I haven't, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Westin were more $$ Mon thru Thurs nights.)

All that said, the hotel locations seem odd given the plan. Waltham is a hike from Ipswich, especially on a summer weekend when you will have a lot of company on Rt 128 heading toward the Cape (Cape Ann, of course).
Old May 26, 2010, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
As between the two, definitely the Westin. Smaller but much more comfortable rooms and a better overall hotel.

If you're a runner, I can recommend a beautiful running route from there.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Yeah, location seems a little odd but my cousins live in Lexington so I guess they chose it to have folks stay closer to their house.

I didn't check weeknight rates other than noting that the Friday rate at both for the wedding group reservation was the same... the Hyatt for some reason will charge $183 a night for Sunday (vs $100 at the Westin), which is where all the price difference comes from.

I made a reservation @ the Westin. Blumie, my wife's a runner (my knees are shot), so I'd appreciate info on the running route I can pass on to her.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by fendertweed; May 27, 2010 at 10:37 am
Old May 27, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

!

Originally Posted by fendertweed
Blumie, my wife's a runner (my knees are shot), so I'd appreciate info on the running route I can pass on to her.
Both hotels you're considering sit near the Cambridge reservoir, which is the public water supply for the City of Cambridge. Running around it is very nice, particularly the parts of which are in the neighboring town of Lincon.

Shorter version: From either hotel, run down Third Avenue to where it intersects with Totten Pond Road/Winter Street. (If you turn right, you're on Totten Pond Road. If you turn left you're on Winter Street.) Turn left onto Winter Street and cross over Route 128. Continue on Winter Street past the Doubletree Suites hotel, and shorty you will see the reservoir on the right. Continue to follow Winter Street around the reservoir. When the road narrows substantially and becomes much more of a country road -- in about a mile -- you will know you will have crossed into Lincoln! At the stop sign, turn right on Old County Road, keeping the reservoir on your right. Proceed about one mile to the next stop sign, and turn right on Trapelo Road. Again, the reservoir will remain on your right, and you'll cross over a beautiful, short little causeway over the reservoir. Proceed up the hill (it's a gentle one!) into a residential neighborhood of Waltham until you cross over the highway. After crossing the highway, go to the next traffic light and turn righ on Smith Street. If you proceed straight on Smith Street, it will become Wyman Street, which will become Winter Street, which will take you right back to Totten Pond Road near the hotels. You can map this out, but my guess is this is about 4 miles or so.

Slightly longer route:

After crossing into Lincoln, instead of taking a right on Old County Rd at the stop sign, continue straight on Winter Street. Proceed about a mile to the stop sign, and turn right on Trapelo Road. Follow Trapelo Road about half a mile or so until it crosses over the reservoir. Then, as above, proceed up the hill into a residential neighborhood of Waltham until you cross over the highway. After crossing the highway, go to the next traffic light and turn righ on Smith Street. If you proceed straight on Smith Street, it will become Wyman Street, which will become Winter Street, which will take you right back to Totten Pond Road near the hotels. This run probably is closer to 6 miles.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:58 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
(My office is on Fifth Ave, overlooking both hotels.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
Turn left onto Winter Street and cross over Route 128.
Blumie: With all the construction, is there a good way for a pedestrian to actually cross 128? When I drive across going either direction, it seems pretty tight/narrow just for the two lanes of cars. (Maybe there's a sidewalk lane that I just haven't noticed before...)
Old May 27, 2010, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Jon
Old May 28, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JY1024
Blumie: With all the construction, is there a good way for a pedestrian to actually cross 128? When I drive across going either direction, it seems pretty tight/narrow just for the two lanes of cars. (Maybe there's a sidewalk lane that I just haven't noticed before...)
Good point. I can't say for sure, but I 'd be surprised if there is not a lane for pedestrians.

BTW, what I (and most locals) refer to as Route 128 in my directions is the same as I-95.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:58 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just went and did some quick reconnaissance...

There is indeed a small sidewalk on the north side of the bridge. There's a temporary walkway that's built on the OUTSIDE part of the bridge - simply fenced in with some wire. It dumps out on the reservoir side where several lanes of traffic merge together. Pedestrians just have to be watchful and careful as cars are moving pretty quickly in both lanes.

fendertweed: Let your wife know that when she comes down the hill on Third Ave towards the Winter St/Totten Pond intersection, she'll have to cross the street to the far side of the intersection before turning left to head over the bridge.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks again on all counts. I remember it (128) all too well as 128 (not 95) from my Boston days ('77-80) and many visits since.

cheers,
Jon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.