Search

Traffic to Logan?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
Traffic to Logan?

Hi,

I've decided to drive from Eastern Québec (YBG) to Boston before flying to Iceland. 850 km is just fine, I will leave around 6am. It is on a Tuesday.

Counting 9-10 hours of travel (I don't take a lot of breaks), that means I will arrive in Boston at rushhour time. My flight is at 21:30, I presume I shall enter the airport around 18:00 if I want to eat a bit, check in and all.

I have never been to Boston, neither have I flown from/to an American airport so I don't know what to expect in terms of time needed.

Could one of you tell me what kind of traffic I'll get on I-93 coming from NH to Logan? If I am going to need 3 hours to cross the city, I'll make other plans.

Moderator: if this post is more appropriate in the New England section, sorry
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
No problem, we are moving it there . Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You may get some moderate traffic, but the bulk of the traffic traveling south on I-93 develops further south of where you will exit for the airport.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:15 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Right. The extra couple of hours of leeway you've allowed will be MORE than enough to get you through to BOS, barring any unforeseen circumstances.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Going into Boston at that hour really shouldn't be an issue - only potential stumbling block would be the last couple of miles going into the tunnel to East Boston.

That being said, you can get around that relatively easily by getting of 93 at Route 16 and cutting through Chelsea (probably won't save you a ton of time though).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by mersk862
That being said, you can get around that relatively easily by getting of 93 at Route 16 and cutting through Chelsea (probably won't save you a ton of time though).
Anyone not familiar with this route is 100% guaranteed to get lost. Stick with I-93 to the tunnel; you'll be fine.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
Anyone not familiar with this route is 100% guaranteed to get lost. Stick with I-93 to the tunnel; you'll be fine.
Blumie is 100% right.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Blumie is 100% right.
Yahtzee is 100% right.

To clarify the above: you're traveling in the opposite direction as most of the rush our traffic. So, barring an accident, you'll make it in fine. That's still a long drive on the way to catch a plane. Parking at logan is pretty easy, by the way, as long as you dont choke on the $24 a day it costs.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
Thank you.

I know this is a long drive but when you live so far from an international airport with decent connections (YUL), you're used to drive 5-6 hours to catch a plane and travel. And going westwards to Montréal to then fly to Boston is simply not worth it.

I refuse to see this as an obstacle for travel, unlike many people living here. Besides, I've never been south of Mount Washington in this direction and I've never seen the Atlantic Ocean (or any ocean). So it's add-ons to going to Iceland.

As for parking, Massport website mentions 108$ weekly rate on the economy lot. What I don't get is how to calculate the 4 other days.

1 day & 0-6 hours $27.00
1 day & 6-24 hours $36.00
Each additional day $18.00
Additional Day 0-6 hours $9.00
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:01 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
You are correct about the first week being $108. Each additional full day thereafter is $18, so four more full days would add on $72 for a total of $180. If the fourth day ends up being less than six hours, the fourth day would only be $9, so your total would be $171.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.