Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

2012 Dodge Durango Crew Ride Report/Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold

I picked up a brand new (6 miles on the odometer) 2012 Dodge Durango Crew at OGG.

The third generation Durango was launched during the 2011 model year and shares quite a bit (including an assembly line) with the acclaimed Jeep Grand Cherokee. The main difference between the Durango and the GC is the former's three-rows of seating for 7 (versus two-rows, 5-passengers in the GC).

While it lacks leather (which can be a pro or con, depending on your preference), the mid-level Crew is well equipped. Included are tri-zone auto climate control; a power liftgate; large multimedia touch-screen with USB, hard drive storage, and Bluetooth; memory settings for the driver's seat; and reverse camera & sensors.

Although the graphics on the Media Center 430 touch-screen head unit aren't nearly as nice as those on Chrysler's own 300 or Ford's MyTouch, this was one of the few vehicles that worked well with my iPad via USB. My playlists were available very quickly (unlike other systems, where it takes forever to load).

Unfortunately, the sound quality from the Alpine system was just fair. With a bit of tweaking the limited bass/mid/treble settings, I got it sounding OK, but I was disappointed.

The Durango has a smart-key for entry/exit and push-button start -- however, they (meaning National) didn't install the the actual button (which covers the key opening, presumably for emergencies when the smart-key battery is low). The keyfob has a remote-start button and a button for the power liftgate (hit lock, then press the remote-start button twice).

• Very smooth and solid feel and lots of power (though admittedly, at max I had 3 adults, so I really didn't test the limits of a fully loaded vehicle)
  • Chrysler has taken a huge step forward in producing a high-quality interior -- for example, the thick leather-wrapped steering wheel felt great
  • Button on the dash to lower the third row headrests and improve visibility
  • Good multimedia head-unit including solid iPod/iPad support
  • Flick-the-turn-signal for lane changes -- beginning to miss this on my own vehicle
  • Keyless entry, ignition, & remote start
  • Backup camera (displayed on the 6" head-unit) and reverse parking sensors
  • Seat-mounted center seat belt -- I can't stand when the center belt dangles from the ceiling with certain SUVs and vans

Dislikes
  • Maybe it was the generic silver paint, but the exterior seemed bland, even with the chrome accents
  • An A-pillar grab handle would have really helped my front-seat passenger
  • Disappointing sound quality from the Alpine system

Would I take the Durango over an Enclave (which I previously rented from OGG)? Hard to tell; the latter definitely felt (and looked) more luxurious (a fairer comparison is really with the Traverse or Acadia). However, the multimedia screen of the former would probably be enough to sway me to the Durango, if I had to choose. The wildcard would be the new Explorer, which I haven't had a chance to drive.

Last edited by qs933; Oct 2, 2011 at 5:38 am
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:41 am

Thanks for the review and great pictures!

One thing that really bothered me about the Durango was the high beltline, massive flanks, and lack of spotter mirrors. There were several occasions where a car was caught in my blindspot and I couldn't see it because it was masked in the bulk of the Durango.

I'd still prefer an Explorer XLT or Limited to the Durango, though National must be getting a great deal on the Durangos. I see at least half a dozen of them at DCA these days.

Also, I find it odd that Dodge used their next generation 7" Garmin-based LCD display on the new Journey, but stuck with the older 6.5" unit on the new Durango and Jeep GC?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
Great review!!!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:34 am

Also, has anyone seen a Durango equipped in a trim level higher than "Crew"?

Also, ditto on the can't stand the center rear seat belt dangling from the ceiling! lmao.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:57 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Great report!

I got one of these at DAY a few weeks ago. The EA choices were the Durango or one of several Impalas. The guy who showed up 30 seconds after me seemed a bit disappointed.

Mine was identical to the OP's, except that it was equipped with the push-button start. Unlike the OP, I like bland paint schemes.

I concur with the OP's review, except that my Durango had a few rattles, which would be annoying on a new (less than 7k miles) ~$33,000 car.

The reported fuel economy for the initial ~60 miles of driving at 55-70 (almost all with cruise control) was about 28 mpg. Not bad. Overall it was a bit over 23mpg (which matched the mileage traveled / fuel fill volume).

Overall it exceeded my expectations, but that's not saying much.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:49 am

I rented a Durango a few weeks ago from the Emerald Aisle, and was quite pleased. We had a large amount of luggage, and the cavernous trunk space was quite handy, even with 5 people, who fit quite comfortably three across in the back seat.

I concur with most of what has been said above. The interior quality was better than expected. I thought the ride and handling were impressive for such a massive vehicle.

The best little feature, though, was a regular AC outlet on the back side of the center console (facing the second row of seats). This was really handy for cell phone and iPod charging!

I'd rent one again if I needed the large capacity, depending on what was available.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Both the Durango Crew and the Grand Cherokees have been the mainstay of my rentals this year, and I've been very happy with both.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:58 pm

My thoughts on the 2012 Dodge Durango Crew:

http://carrentingreviews.wordpress.c...crew-trim-awd/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.