Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > National | Emerald Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 3, 09, 5:40 am   #1

Programs: M&M SEN
Discount codes for 1 way rentals

Hi,

I'm looking to book a 1-way hire next month as follows:

Burlington, VT - MCO over about a week. Compact or midsize
MCO - MIA again over about a week. Fullsize

all of the quotes I've got so far are sky high thanks to large one-way drop fees. Please can someone point me in the direction of a code that'll help me get around the 1-way drop fee?

Thanks,

ptr120
ptr120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 09, 7:07 am   #2

Programs: National EE, Avis Chairman's Club, Hertz PC, HH Gold, Carlson Gold
To add to your post, any contract IDs that obviate the charge/mile?
drzoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 09, 7:14 am   #3

Programs: AA 2.1MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Will you be doing all your driving on one day, then use the car at your destination for the rest of the week? If so, doing two separate rentals might be best. Use a free rental day for the one-way, then exchange for a standard one-week local rental the next.
MichaelColey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 09, 7:21 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
Will you be doing all your driving on one day, then use the car at your destination for the rest of the week? If so, doing two separate rentals might be best. Use a free rental day for the one-way, then exchange for a standard one-week local rental the next.
I'm familiar with using the free rental day, but supposing we don't have any at our disposal....?
Old Sep 3, 09, 8:27 am   #5

Programs: M&M SEN
I need 2 seperate rentals:

1 smaller car to get from Burlington, VT to MCO, Florida over the course of a week. I then need to swap for a larger car at MCO which I'll want to return to Miami a week later
ptr120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 09, 11:49 am   #6

Can someone confirm that I can use a free day on a 1-way rental, even if the 1-way rental is from one state to another state? I'm planning on driving between Asheville, NC (AVL) and DCA, and a free day would sure be nice.

However, it sounds too good to be true to be able to use 1 free day on a 1-way out of state rental, saving me $150?! Do I get unlimited mileage with a free day as well? No 35 cents/mile charge?
Old Sep 6, 09, 7:44 pm   #7

Programs: AA 2.1MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Yes, you can. I used one on a one-way rental that would have been $300. Total cost was about $5 (just taxes and fees). Just make sure you get the car returned within 24 hours. You don't want to pay the hourly or daily charges on a rental like that.

Unlimited miles will depend on which contract code you use. Most seem to have unlimited miles on one ways. A few don't. Use one that has it.
MichaelColey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 09, 12:35 pm   #8

Followup question; can additional drivers be added to a 1-way for the usual fee of $9.99/day?
Old Sep 13, 09, 2:45 pm   #9

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoidberg View Post
Followup question; can additional drivers be added to a 1-way for the usual fee of $9.99/day?
If you're a Costco member, use the Costco code (5025938).. it will give you an additional driver for no charge.

Ron.
newfbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 09, 6:43 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
If you're a Costco member, use the Costco code (5025938).. it will give you an additional driver for no charge.

Ron.
Hmm, good tip, thanks!
Old Sep 13, 09, 7:08 pm   #11

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Quote:
Yes, you can. I used one on a one-way rental that would have been $300. Total cost was about $5 (just taxes and fees). Just make sure you get the car returned within 24 hours. You don't want to pay the hourly or daily charges on a rental like that.

Unlimited miles will depend on which contract code you use. Most seem to have unlimited miles on one ways. A few don't. Use one that has it.
God bless the free rental days. Back in April I had a one-way booked from YYC to Victoria, BC. It was a SUV for the measly sum of $600/day. Two free days later and I got it for $85 ai, and that was with a prepaid tank of fuel. The best was having the agent in Victoria look in disbelief and ask how I got the car so cheap.
Tuneman1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 09, 3:24 pm   #12

Lately I have found that making a reservation on Travelocity rather than on the National web page results in SIGNIFICANTLY lower quoted rates. On a 1-way rental, I have done a 1-way rental WITHOUT a drop charge where it was several HUNDRED $ more on the National web site. Nor did they "correct" my rate when I actually rented and dropped. In fact, I do all my National reservations now on Travelocity because they consistently quote lower.
glieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:43 pm   #13

Btw, which other Contract IDs besides the Costco one give you a free additional driver?
Old Oct 8, 09, 2:35 am   #14

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Fairmont PC, Hilton HHonors, National EC
Worked for me!

Quote:
+1

I just booked and am saving over $130 which will get me to an alternate airport (to further save on airfare).

On the National website, the rate without signing in (I'm EC-Exec) was $130/d before the add-ons, with unlimited miles. When I applied the Free Day coupon, the after-tax total dropped to approx. $12.

After signing in (which automatically applies Contract ID 5007125), the rate dropped to $56/d, but with no free miles. Believing the Free Day would only cover the $56-base rate, I changed the Contract ID to the Costco one. The $130 was discounted by 10% to $117, and magically, the free day became worth $117. The new bottom line: Under $10.

Thanks to all who shared this great idea!!
joet00 is offline   Reply With Quote