Codes with free Loss Damage Waiver

Subscribe
I have searched for a long time but cannot find the answer to my concern

When using a contract ID code that I am not entitled to that provides free loss damage waiver I am concerned that National will refused apply the LDW if I need to use it ...and then my personal insurance company will refuse to pay if they see I had LDW on my rental contract?

Any thoughts?

Again, I have searched for a discussion on this for 2 nights now and cannot find one. I can only find people using contract IDs like 5766241 and 576033 commenting on the excellent rate.

I would LOVE the rate, but don't want to stress about the LDW.

Thanks all!
Hi Jessebritches,

Welcome to the forum.

Your concerns are valid, and if you were to get into an accident while driving a car using a contract ID to which you were not entitled to receive the LDW coverage, you would be liable for any damages.

You have a few options:

1) Take the risk and go with the free LDW coverage.
2) Book using a different code, and either use coverage from your personal insurance or through a major credit card.

I should probably add this to the FAQ index.
I think the biggest additional risk is the whole 'misrepresenting your insurance status' which would cause your personal/card insurance to say it isn't valid (ie your contract says national covers you, which national says you're not eligible for). As I've heard more people getting dinged for ... little dings .. I don't leave home w/o LDW coverage anymore. I would not rent with 'invalid' LDW coverage.
Quote: When using a contract ID code that I am not entitled to that provides free loss damage waiver I am concerned that National will refused apply the LDW if I need to use it ...and then my personal insurance company will refuse to pay if they see I had LDW on my rental contract?
The second piece of your inquiry is one for your insurance agent or carrier. It is not one fairly answered by participants of FT.

Taking out LDW (even if indirectly, through a contract ID) may change your MC/Visa/Amex secondary coverage but it may not change your car insurance carrier's responsibility. Hence my first statement.
If you rent under false pretense your contract could be viewed as invalid, which means your personal insurance may not cover you.
Diners Club & Free LDW
Diners Club card provides Primary coverage for rental insurance for most normal cars. In the US, it's issued by Citibank Mastercard, and maybe different elsewhere. Probably worth looking into...... Annual fee in the US is a hefty $95 though but beats paying LDW fees for each rental daily.

Jiburi
I'm not a lawyer (though I sometimes like to pretend), but had the following thought:

If I book using a code such as 5760333, and National lets me take the car without asking for proof that I am entitled to use this code, could one not argue that by doing so, National agrees to let me pay the rate associated with that code and that I am entitled to any benefits (i.e. free LDW) that come with that code?

I am sure that there is some fine print somewhere in the rental contract that would nullify the above, but it is something to consider.
My experience
Both times that I went through my insurance for damage to a rental car I had out, my insurance paid and never asked to see my contract. On many occasions I have been told (back when I was renting from Enterprise and the agents were trying to scare me into insurance) that I am covered on any car I drive, no matter how much it cost or how I got it (stole it...). How much my premiums would go up is another question. In the meantime they have never raised my premiums, actually all the damage to my cars was someone else's fault.
Quote: Both times that I went through my insurance for damage to a rental car I had out, my insurance paid and never asked to see my contract. On many occasions I have been told (back when I was renting from Enterprise and the agents were trying to scare me into insurance) that I am covered on any car I drive, no matter how much it cost or how I got it (stole it...). How much my premiums would go up is another question. In the meantime they have never raised my premiums, actually all the damage to my cars was someone else's fault.
Premiums are not raised based on the amount of a claim outside of a minimum threshold (usually $1,000 per claim up to 2 claims per 2 year period) before rate increases. If you damage your car for $2,000 or $20,000 your rate will increase the same amount (surcharge).

In regards to not being asked for the contract, I think in your case its carrier specific or possibly state restricted.

In regards to liability of the organization, I am almost positive in the contract (general or "level" specific) there is a clause that states that the individual is responsible for proof of validitity of company code/discount and that you may be asked for proof of eligibility at any time.
thanks for all your help guys!

I first made a reservation with the BIG 10 employee contract ID(cant remember) that said it included free insurance and even as an EC member my "level of service" said "COUNTER."

Then I changed my reservation to the Georgia employee code Contract I.D. 5004625 which does NOT say it includes insurance(on my reservation anyway) and my level of service said "emerald aisle."

I was worried about the included insurance and was excited to see the georgia code not providing it. With the big 10 code it said included and it was not an option I could add....but with the georgia code it was not included and I could add it as an option.

I have since googled the code and it says in provides free insurance...so I dont know why my reservation says it does not.

Has anyone used this code? I have read other forums where people have used in successfully, but havent read of any instances where it has not been successful. I feel a little better that my level of service is "emerald aisle" and not "counter" ....and that my reservation does NOT say that insurance is included. Any thoughts?
Are you a Georgia State Employee? If not, you shouldn't be using the code, ethics 101.
I once gave a car some damage using my corp ID. Worried about repercussions, I called my travel department. They told me that whenever a car using our corp. ID gets dinged, National calls them to verify whether that individual is an employee of ours, and ultimately they decide whether to allow it or not.

My 2 Cents.
Quote: I'm not a lawyer (though I sometimes like to pretend), but had the following thought:

If I book using a code such as 5760333, and National lets me take the car without asking for proof that I am entitled to use this code, could one not argue that by doing so, National agrees to let me pay the rate associated with that code and that I am entitled to any benefits (i.e. free LDW) that come with that code?

I am sure that there is some fine print somewhere in the rental contract that would nullify the above, but it is something to consider.
Largely depends on whether it's a jurisdiction that uses contributory or comparative negligence principles. But I wouldn't count on it.