National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Two questions:

1. If I pick up from Miami on Thursday and drop at Fort Lauderdale on Friday. And then pick up a new rental at FLL on Friday a few minutes later and return that to FLL the following Tuesday will I get credit for both rentals?

2. Once I return my car which will qualify me for Executive, how long does it take to update my profile to reflect that I am Executive status? 24 full hours? Next morning? Etc
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Two questions:

1. If I pick up from Miami on Thursday and drop at Fort Lauderdale on Friday. And then pick up a new rental at FLL on Friday a few minutes later and return that to FLL the following Tuesday will I get credit for both rentals?

2. Once I return my car which will qualify me for Executive, how long does it take to update my profile to reflect that I am Executive status? 24 full hours? Next morning? Etc

You should be an executive once you finish the rental.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:28 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Closingracer
You should be an executive once you finish the rental.
That was not what the OP asked. OP knows that Executive status is conferred after the final qualifying rental, the question is when it takes effect. Please try and read the question first before simply posting a reply, and if you're not sure of the answer, it is OK not to post a reply.

Two questions:

1. In your circumstances, yes, you should get credit for both rentals, because the first one is a one-way in. As a general rule, back-to-back rentals only earn credits either if (1) the first one is a one way, or (2) second rental occurs on a different day (i.e., dropoff is at 11:59PM Friday and the new reservation pickup is at 12:01AM Saturday). If both rentals were out of FLL, for example, under the circumstances you've presented, a renter would not earn two credits.

2. Anecdotal wisdom from reports on this site suggest it's usually by the next day, however, if you're looking for the upgrade to be applied immediately (i.e., you have another reservation you're picking up and you'd like to take advantage of the new status immediately), you can call the Emerald CS and they'll update the account over the phone.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
That was not what the OP asked. OP knows that Executive status is conferred after the final qualifying rental, the question is when it takes effect. Please try and read the question first before simply posting a reply, and if you're not sure of the answer, it is OK not to post a reply.

1. In your circumstances, yes, you should get credit for both rentals, because the first one is a one-way in. As a general rule, back-to-back rentals only earn credits either if (1) the first one is a one way, or (2) second rental occurs on a different day (i.e., dropoff is at 11:59PM Friday and the new reservation pickup is at 12:01AM Saturday). If both rentals were out of FLL, for example, under the circumstances you've presented, a renter would not earn two credits.

2. Anecdotal wisdom from reports on this site suggest it's usually by the next day, however, if you're looking for the upgrade to be applied immediately (i.e., you have another reservation you're picking up and you'd like to take advantage of the new status immediately), you can call the Emerald CS and they'll update the account over the phone.
I did answer the question..... It takes effect right after the rental
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
A Comedy Of Errors That I Still Can't Get Resolved

NM...

Last edited by Gamecock; Aug 16, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I did answer the question..... It takes effect right after the rental
So are you saying as soon as the car is returned and I get my receipt then like a few minutes later I should be able to pull up my National App and it should show that I am Executive level?

I have another rental a few hours later and I'd really like to be able to take from the Exec aisle.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:27 am

So are you saying as soon as the car is returned and I get my receipt then like a few minutes later I should be able to pull up my National App and it should show that I am Executive level?

I have another rental a few hours later and I'd really like to be able to take from the Exec aisle.
Yeah the app will show you would be an Executive right after or close to right after it ends ( few minutes at the most)

As far as taking a car off the executive aisle on a res you made before you hit it you shouldn't have any issues.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:49 am

Yeah the app will show you would be an Executive right after or close to right after it ends ( few minutes at the most)

As far as taking a car off the executive aisle on a res you made before you hit it you shouldn't have any issues.
Awesome!! Thank you so much!!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
What credit cards offer Executive status nowadays?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon

Amex platinum and chase infinity cards ( Chase Sapphire reserve or whatever it's called is the only one I know of in the US). Those two do. Could be others
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
A whole bunch do.

https://awardwallet.com/blog/how-to-get-rental-car-elite-status-for-free/

Also, if you have a Mastercard World Elite card you can still get free executive status. They are not openly advertising this benefit on the card anymore for some reason which is really annoying. Here is the direct link. http://nationalcar.com/offer/mastercardelite
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

What is the deal with National agents so reluctant to take cars from the Alamo side? I understand that National cars are usually lower mileage, but what is it that the location gets dinged with?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:56 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by whistler814
What is the deal with National agents so reluctant to take cars from the Alamo side? I understand that National cars are usually lower mileage, but what is it that the location gets dinged with?
Most times, it's probably just easier to say no than for any particular reason. But in shared fleet locations I think it's rare to get any sort of real pushback. As you noted the cars are usually worse at Alamo anyways.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:05 pm

National credit for Enterprise

I'm renting from Enterprise, crediting to National. If I did 3 one-day rentals, from A to B, B to A, A to C, it would credit as 3 rental credits?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: National Exec Elite, AA ConciergeKey (Former US Chairmans...), Lufthansa HON Circle, JAL JGC Diamond
Where are all the Maserati's at?

Well, I have been noticing recently that I can't find any more Ghibli's on the premier selection, and I have been keeping my eyes peeled. Has anybody seen any Maserati's lately for upgrade, and if so, where? Oh, and don't get me STARTED on premier selection at DCA the other day... I spotted 4... FOUR!... 430i convertibles on the premier and asked if those were available for EE since BOTH aisles were 80-90% depleted and not a single SSAR that I usually grab. Not even a single V6 challenger or Camaro or and ecoboost mustang, even from the return lot. He said no, it would be $75... I told him I have gotten them several of times off the EE aisle and would give him $25 for the upgrade if I had to, and he called me a LIAR and said that would never be possible anywhere, and that the computer won't let him... but he let me drive off with a Q50 that was on premier for no charge... strange how the computer let him do that. The very same evening I returned (day trip), guess what was sitting there??? All 4 430i's from earlier...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.