National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by sup3rj3ww
Does anyone know how to guarantee a 4x4 vehicle when renting. Planning on picking up at PHX in December and driving up to Grand Canyon (last time I was there in Dec it was snowing, and I recently rented a Jeep in NYC that was 2WD)
You can't "Guarantee" one but if you require one with 4X4 or at least AWD ( which should be fine for snow) renting Standard SUV, Full size or a pickup truck would be the best bet to get one with at least AWD? You can also book premium crossover which you could get an Infiniti QX60, and Durango which might come with AWD.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:06 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Does anyone know how to guarantee a 4x4 vehicle when renting. Planning on picking up at PHX in December and driving up to Grand Canyon (last time I was there in Dec it was snowing, and I recently rented a Jeep in NYC that was 2WD)
Agree with Closingracer above. Your best bet is to rent a Standard SUV or above and hope for the nest in terms of selection when you arrive. Maybe may multiple reservations at two or more companies to increase your odds. You may find this article helpful from our blog.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:20 pm

Reservation price difference between app and website.

My reservation for this weekend in LAS will is showing much higher in the app (does not give coupon discount) but it shows the correct amount in the website. Did anyone ever have this problem?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by powermax
My reservation for this weekend in LAS will is showing much higher in the app (does not give coupon discount) but it shows the correct amount in the website. Did anyone ever have this problem?
Yes, this is a known issue with Alamo/National. Their IT is not very good. If it's showing correctly in one place, you should be fine. It's probably just a glitch on one platform. You can always all the automated system to confirm.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Question

I have a question about the car swap rules with National. I was told by a co-work that if I swapped my car during an existing rental I would get an additional rental credit toward my free rentals. Does any one know if this is true?

Also, what is everyone's experiences with doing car swaps for wanting a different vehicle (not mechanical issues)? Did they give you are hard time or was it a smooth process?

Last edited by flyguy6; Sep 18, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by flyguy6
Also, what is everyone's experiences with doing car swaps for wanting a different vehicle (not mechanical issues)? Did they give you are hard time or was it a smooth process?
My experience with National at ELP a few years ago was pretty smooth.

All they had that night were Cameros. Normally I'd be pretty happy but in this case, I needed the car to transport four people and backpacking gear. Obviously this was not going to work.

So I went back to the counter and asked them what they could do. They asked me to call tomorrow and see what cars were scheduled to be turned back in.

Early next morning, I found some nearby twisty road and hooned it a bit before gassing up and returning the car. I returned it as normal but stationed my friend at car to ensure it wasn't driven away by a staff member while I went back to the counter to seek a new car. They found me a Buick Verano, which was honestly not great for four people and gear, but better than a Camaro.

Iirc, it was the same contract, with the same dates. Exiting was the same and the gate attendant didn't seem to do anything different.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ENOTTY
My experience with National at ELP a few years ago was pretty smooth.

All they had that night were Cameros. Normally I'd be pretty happy but in this case, I needed the car to transport four people and backpacking gear. Obviously this was not going to work.

So I went back to the counter and asked them what they could do. They asked me to call tomorrow and see what cars were scheduled to be turned back in.

Early next morning, I found some nearby twisty road and hooned it a bit before gassing up and returning the car. I returned it as normal but stationed my friend at car to ensure it wasn't driven away by a staff member while I went back to the counter to seek a new car. They found me a Buick Verano, which was honestly not great for four people and gear, but better than a Camaro.

Iirc, it was the same contract, with the same dates. Exiting was the same and the gate attendant didn't seem to do anything different.
Thanks for sharing. ^
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:17 am

Is there such thing as a dollar off coupon that does NOT require a Saturday night keep? The one-class upgrade coupons are not very useful when using Emerald Aisle!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:44 pm

Aside from booking that car class, not sure other ways to guarantee it.

Pretty much all of the national places I've been to, if you're polite and patient they've been more than willing to basically give you what you ask for within reason. Though certain locations may not have 4WD Jeeps as available for the taking..though....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by AEmgee
Is there such thing as a dollar off coupon that does NOT require a Saturday night keep? The one-class upgrade coupons are not very useful when using Emerald Aisle!
Yes, they are rare, but they do exist.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, they are rare, but they do exist.
Unfortunately those are only valid for Minivan/SUV/Convertible which are generally priced higher than selecting from the Emerald Aisle! I guess it's good if you need one of those types of vehicles and are renting without a Saturday night keep.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
A question for all the rental car experts.

I rented a car for a day from National and had a coupon that I used that gave me a free day, essentially having me pay the taxes and fees for the airport location. So I go to pick up the car and at check-out window, there's no mention of the coupon. The next day, I return the car and again, no mention of the coupon. Rental contract is closed and I am given a receipt.

I take a flight and when I land, I have a voicemail from a lady saying that she's calling about the "coupon that was supposed to be collected by the agent at the time of pick-up" 30 minutes later, my amex is charged for $103 for one day car rental.

My question is - Once the rental contract closes and I have a receipt, UNLESS there's toll, are they allowed to go in and alter the contract and charge more?

I'll try to find the coupon and send it in. But do I basically have to eat this cost if I can't find that coupon?

Appreciate some insight.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
My question is - Once the rental contract closes and I have a receipt, UNLESS there's toll, are they allowed to go in and alter the contract and charge more?
Are they allowed to? Absolutely, yes. That's why every rental car contract and receipt printed in the history of rental cars has always said, "CHARGES SUBJECT TO AUDIT."

That said, in the event of a discrepancy in charges or the need for a dispute, your possession of a receipt gives you a reasonably strong defense in many cases, but it is not absolute, especially when they are actually in the right.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by jackal
Are they allowed to? Absolutely, yes. That's why every rental car contract and receipt printed in the history of rental cars has always said, "CHARGES SUBJECT TO AUDIT."

That said, in the event of a discrepancy in charges or the need for a dispute, your possession of a receipt gives you a reasonably strong defense in many cases, but it is not absolute, especially when they are actually in the right.

So another twist to the story, I've been charged 2x for the same rental. I have a charge of what my receipt shows and the $110 charge a couple days later.

Is it worth contacting Amex?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
So another twist to the story, I've been charged 2x for the same rental. I have a charge of what my receipt shows and the $110 charge a couple days later.

Is it worth contacting Amex?
You should always contact the vendor (National in this case) before you contact the credit card company in any dispute. It may be a simple thing to have National credit you back for the difference, while disputing with Amex not only will take longer, but could also land you on the DoNotRent list with National/Alamo/Enterprise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.