Cars at LIH

Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Twixboy
I prefer not to give out all that information especially since that email address doesn't end with nationalcar.com, but can answer specific questions either on here or via PM if you prefer. I rented about 300 days from the Lihue location in the past year, so I have plenty of chances to get a roach infested car. It's Hawaii, I get it and it doesn't bother me. Both times I've exchanged the car for another one without any problems.

I was just curious if anyone else noticed the smell that I'm talking about since I've had dozens of vehicles from this location leave the same exact musty smell on my clothing. Again, not a problem since I wash my clothes after wearing them
Don't worry about the email address. If you notice, NationalCares is in green which means it is a verified company representative. Also, if you go to the National website and click on Customer Support on the bottom, it will take you to a page on custhelp.com. Appears to be some sort of Oracle Cloud

BTW, I'm renting at LIH in less than 2 weeks - hoping to NOT receive a roach car nor one that smells....
Old May 25, 2017, 7:52 am

I am using free vouchers, and I have whatever their top status is. Using free vouchers, pricing for 1 day including taxes is something like this at LIH;

Emerald Aisle = 50.50/day. w/ voucher only $8.32 total including taxes
Jeep Wrangler 2dr or similar. $86/day. w/ voucher only $8.41 total including taxes
Jeep Wrangler 4dr Unlimited or similar. 124/day. w/ voucher only $8.50 total including taxes
Convertible = Ford Mustang or similar. $144.85/day. w/ voucher only $8.45 total including taxes

What is the best option to pick from?

Do they really have a large fleet of wranglers?

What do they substitute a jeep wrangler with when they are out? Toyota 4runners or something?

What are the convertibles, are they just a bunch of domestic Mustangs/Camaros? Or do they actually have anything interesting like an Audi A3 Cab, BMW 230i, or 370z cab?

In addition, do they have the 370z hard top at this place? I've seen them all over the west coast, and even Omaha.

The remarks on this thread seem to paint a sad and boring LIH EA lot. I don't want a lame pick-up truck like a F150/RAM/Frontier. Altimas/Sonatas/Impalas/Malibus/Santa Fe/Equinox/Patriot are boring but perfectly fine, just nothing to write home about.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

If you have free days pick whatever you want - a Wrangler, Mustang Convertible, or Tahoe are the usual expensive choices at this location. Don't waste your free days on an Emerald reservation. At $50/day you can just pay cash here and save your free day for an LCAR for another vacation.

Convertible = 80% Mustang and 20% Camaro

Jeep = Wrangler but if you book this make sure you get the 4 door. The trunk of the 2 door wrangler doesn't fit any luggage except for personal bags. If you reserve the Jeep they shouldn't run out, plus they have a million of them. If for some reason they overbook that class I'm guessing they'll give you a Tahoe instead. There are no 4Runners in the fleet - that's a "locals" car.

I've never seen any of those other luxury brands you mentioned, but there is one Cadillac SRX in the fleet that you might be able to reserve if you call them in advance.

As for hard tops (or did you mean hardtop convertible?), I picked a base Camaro fastback off the ES once. I see Mustang GT coupes frequently on the island, but I'm not sure if they are from National or another rental car company since they wouldn't put these out on the aisle.

Last edited by Twixboy; May 25, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Nothing much to add except --

1) Kauai is a small island. The quantity and selection at LIH will be significantly less than larger National locations. Set your expectations accordingly.

2) Practicality is a good thing to consider. A convertible or 370Z (which I believe was previously sighted at LIH earlier in this thread) may be great at first, but it won't be as much fun if you're trying to figure out how to haul all your luggage to the hotel. I've seen many convertibles here in Honolulu with passengers sitting under suitcases that didn't fit in the trunk.

3) Hopefully the highlight of your trip to Kauai won't be that you picked a great car off the lot.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by qs933
Nothing much to add except --

1) Kauai is a small island. The quantity and selection at LIH will be significantly less than larger National locations. Set your expectations accordingly.

2) Practicality is a good thing to consider. A convertible or 370Z (which I believe was previously sighted at LIH earlier in this thread) may be great at first, but it won't be as much fun if you're trying to figure out how to haul all your luggage to the hotel. I've seen many convertibles here in Honolulu with passengers sitting under suitcases that didn't fit in the trunk.

3) Hopefully the highlight of your trip to Kauai won't be that you picked a great car off the lot.
Some comments about your comments for factory81:

1) Most visitors don't realize how few people there are here. I think we just cracked 70k population this year island-wide. Most towns only have about 2,000 residents.

2) If you're coming with your SO - just the 2 of you - a convertible should be fine. You can throw the luggage in the back seat. But keep in mind most parking lots are rough dirt lots and the terrain is very hilly and uneven. You'll be bottoming out a lot if you plan on doing a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities. There are several hikes and beaches that are only accessible by SUV so plan ahead if you decide to rent a convertible. You'll be fine if you stick to the popular tourist stuff like the PAVED roads in Waimea Canyon, the lifeguarded beaches, and don't venture too far off the highway.

True story:
I rented a Camaro the first time I arrived on the island. I bottomed out on my own driveway as I pulled into my new house for the first time. After that I said never again!

Last edited by Twixboy; May 26, 2017 at 4:04 am Reason: added little story at the end
Old May 26, 2017, 6:53 am

I called the National Counter at Lihue, and they do in fact have a few 370z (they said they were convertibles, too). I asked them what I should book, based on my choices?

And I ran a couple scenarios by them;

1) If I book EA, and I see a 370z convertible not on the EA lot, will I be charged an upcharge to get that car? The answer of course was yes, they would not necessarily put it on the EA lot (unless the lot was empty)

This is where it gets interesting;

2) If I book the convertible $144/day rate, and I don't like the convertibles you have available, but you have a inexpensive speciality vehicle (BMW 3/Infiniti/Benz C/whatever), can I just get the specialty vehicle instead? She said yes. She said there are a few speciality vehicles that cost less than $150/day, and I should be able to just.......hop in that (for free). Does flyertalk agree that this should be true?

3) Kind of an add-on to #2 , but if I saw a Wrangler 4DR Unlimited, and wanted that instead, could I just hop in that as well (since it is a cheaper rate)? She said yes as well.

She did make a point to say that when you book a wrangler or a convertible tho, they will actually hold you a convertible or a wrangler. AKA, you won't show up and be given a Ford Escape or Equinox if you book a Wrangler, you will actually get the Wrangler. But she did say that when it comes to holding specific convertibles or specialty cars, they are unable to reserve them. So I can't request the 370z convertible for my trip.

I was kind of curious what this reserve service is though?

https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca...ocReserve.html

That service doesn't allow me to pick a specific make/model, correct? It just requires the airport to provide me a Wrangler if I book a Wrangler class (and same for convertible, but it can be any convertible).

I was hoping that reserve service would allow me to get really picky

If you have free days pick whatever you want - a Wrangler, Mustang Convertible, or Tahoe are the usual expensive choices at this location. Don't waste your free days on an Emerald reservation. At $50/day you can just pay cash here and save your free day for an LCAR for another vacation.

Convertible = 80% Mustang and 20% Camaro

Jeep = Wrangler but if you book this make sure you get the 4 door. The trunk of the 2 door wrangler doesn't fit any luggage except for personal bags. If you reserve the Jeep they shouldn't run out, plus they have a million of them. If for some reason they overbook that class I'm guessing they'll give you a Tahoe instead. There are no 4Runners in the fleet - that's a "locals" car.

I've never seen any of those other luxury brands you mentioned, but there is one Cadillac SRX in the fleet that you might be able to reserve if you call them in advance.

As for hard tops (or did you mean hardtop convertible?), I picked a base Camaro fastback off the ES once. I see Mustang GT coupes frequently on the island, but I'm not sure if they are from National or another rental car company since they wouldn't put these out on the aisle.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i just booked for 3 days at the end of July, and the cheapest rate was for a Small Pickup, the other half is a Exec Elite, would we still have more options when there (Convertible/SUV)
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Memorial Day Weekend 2017

There were only 3 vehicles in the entire Emerald and Executive Aisle during this past Memorial Day Weekend.

Hyundai Santa Fe
Hyundai Sonata
Nissan Frontier

I went with the Santa Fe as it rains often on the North Shore so the pickup wasn't going to work with luggage. They were holding all the larger vehicles and Jeep's for future reservations due to the holiday weekend. I've always been able to snag a Tahoe or Jeep Wrangler on previous trips. Avoid major holiday weekends if you'd like more of a selection.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:39 pm

Update at LIH - the lot has been under construction the last couple times I've been there, so over a month now. This has reduced the number of vehicles they can put on the lot. If there are only sedans and pickups on the lot and you are Executive they will bring out a SUV if you ask.

About 2 months ago they added 18 new Hondas to the fleet - some Accords, HR-Vs, and Fits. I've gotten two of them with under 500 miles and one of them still had the King Honda license plate frame on it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Update at LIH - the lot has been under construction the last couple times I've been there, so over a month now. This has reduced the number of vehicles they can put on the lot. If there are only sedans and pickups on the lot and you are Executive they will bring out a SUV if you ask
Any chance they'll give an Explorer or Yukon to an EE member? I got a midsize res there in 2 weeks. When I went last fall I think the only cars in ES was a Malibu, Compass and F-150. Asked for something else and ended up with a Maxima from the Enterprise lot. Looking for something with nice with a higher ground clearing this time.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by OSLexpat
Any chance they'll give an Explorer or Yukon to an EE member? I got a midsize res there in 2 weeks. When I went last fall I think the only cars in ES was a Malibu, Compass and F-150. Asked for something else and ended up with a Maxima from the Enterprise lot. Looking for something with nice with a higher ground clearing this time.
Someone above said they usually can snag a Tahoe, but I haven't been able to get one for my last 20 or so rentals this past year. Same with the Explorer, but then again I haven't asked for that car specifically. Couldn't hurt to ask, but if they don't give it to you then you can ask for a Hyundai Santa Fe which is not uncommon on the aisle and only 0.5" lower than the Explorer. BTW, wouldn't the F-150 be your best bet if you're looking for ground clearance?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:37 pm

As an executive elite or executive depending on the manager i don't see why they won't give you an Explorer at least assuming they aren't low on SRAR of SFAR for people who reserved them. I've asked whenever I wanted one and didn't see one in the aisle and always got it. Of course YMMV
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Couldn't hurt to ask, but if they don't give it to you then you can ask for a Hyundai Santa Fe which is not uncommon on the aisle and only 0.5" lower than the Explorer. BTW, wouldn't the F-150 be your best bet if you're looking for ground clearance?
The F-150 would work but my cc does not cover CDW on trucks. The Santa Fe would cover my practical need, but I don't find it too "exciting", see it all the time at HNL.

Originally Posted by Closingracer
As an executive elite or executive depending on the manager i don't see why they won't give you an Explorer at least assuming they aren't low on SRAR of SFAR for people who reserved them. I've asked whenever I wanted one and didn't see one in the aisle and always got it. Of course YMMV
I guess I could give the branch a call and ask them about the availility that specific weekend. Do you know if the Explorer trims are mostly XLT or Limited or a even mix?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:53 pm

The F-150 would work but my cc does not cover CDW on trucks. The Santa Fe would cover my practical need, but I don't find it too "exciting", see it all the time at HNL.

I guess I could give the branch a call and ask them about the availility that specific weekend. Do you know if the Explorer trims are mostly XLT or Limited or a even mix?

I've only seen them in limited. I've read sport as well. Only seen XLT in Avis and etc
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:23 pm

Just throwing it out there - if you have an AMEX (any AMEX cc will do) and are willing to pay $20 for their premium car insurance, they do cover pickup trucks up to $75k in value.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.