Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Buick Regal CXL(1) ride report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAIR Platinum, National EA
2011 Buick Regal CXL(1) ride report

I recently rented one from PBI PCAR. I apologize for the lack of photos, i uploaded most of them to a computer in FL and I'm back in Jersey...

Overall I liked the Regal. I don't believe that it should be a PCAR since its rather small inside. Its built on the same platform as the Chevy Malibu and uses the same 4cyl engine and 6spd auto trans but it feels stronger in the Regal. Handling was good, something i could never say of a Buick. Felt much better than a recent rental of a 2010 malibu 1LT. The base CXL(1) comes pretty well equipped with an 8way power drivers seat and lumbar, power height adjustment for passenger seat, leather seating surfaces with french stitching, steering wheel controls for the radio and cruise, leather wrapped tilt/telescoping steering wheel, 18" alloy wheels, Am/FM/XM radio with USB and AUX imputs, fold down rear seat, rear seat armrest with pass through, drivers info display and flip-key with integrated remote. I found the car to be mostly quiet on the highway and the performance on the highway was fine and the seat comfort was average. The longest drive was about 45 min and i had no pain, but longer distances may becoming tiring. The back seat was small. I'm 6' and a big guy. I could fit behind the drivers seat, but my knees were touching the back of the front seat and my head was hitting the rear window. I would say this is a good 2 person car. The radio took some time to use and works much better once everything is programmed - presets. The display between the speedometer and tach shows 8 different things - fuel economy, digital speed readout, trip odometer etc. I actually had to get the book out on how to use it, reset it. On the turn signal stalk there is a button to reset and a knob you twist to switch functions. Worked well, but once again not so easy to figure out - i was thinking it would be part of the buttons in the center console - radio area. The trunk had a decent size opening and hidden below the buick symbol was a button you pushed and they trunk would open all the way ( if the doors were unlocked) or via the keyless entry remote. The parking brake is activated by holding a switch on the center console. Overall i would rent one again, but only if travelling with 1 other person. Not my first pick but it wasn't horrible

Pros: Good looking car, alloy wheels
Comfortable
Good handling
Quiet on the highway
Good sounding base radio
Flip-key/ remote entry
Trunk size/ opening/ folding seats
Nice looking interior

Cons: my fuel economy for over 200 miles was 24.6 with mostly highway
would like to see the 2.0T, 2.4 was lacking around town
rear seat was tight
AUX in/USB slot in armrest was VERY had to use
window switches not easy to use
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:22 am

Thanks Skibum!

Any idea if National carries the turbo-4 version of the Regal? I think I've only seen the base 2.4L Ecotec equipped ones (ugh).
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:15 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
drzoidberg, I saw a Regal Turbo in a local parking lot a few weeks ago, with a rental car bar code on it so I walked over. Sure enough, there was a National rental agreement on the passenger seat!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
drzoidberg, I saw a Regal Turbo in a local parking lot a few weeks ago, with a rental car bar code on it so I walked over. Sure enough, there was a National rental agreement on the passenger seat!
Nice! Let me know when it's the GS trim.

Although, on the National website is a picture of a Regal GS. Deceptive advertising?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just drove one of these (albeit from Hertz) and found it a very mixed bag. It handles nicely, and had comfortable seats, but I wasn't thrilled with the infotainment system (which was the upgraded touchscreen "Intellilink" system). Skibum does a good job of describing the car.

It also shares the generally terrible ergonomics of anything built on the GM Epsilon/Epsilon II platforms. I'm a few inches taller than Skibum, and hit my head every time I got into the car.

With the driver's seat all the way back, there is about 2" between the back of the seat and the front of the rear seat cushion. (This is not an exaggeration.) Moreover, if you turn your head to look to the side, you will be looking out the rear passenger window. The slope of the console also means the touchscreen will probably be out of reach, though the buttons and dials duplicate most of the functions you'd use while driving.

My client was driving an Altima this week -- a car that has pretty much the same dimensions as the Regal, almost to the inch. The difference in usable interior space between the two is stunning.

Long story short, it's a nice car if you're under 6' and don't need to use the back seat. Otherwise, I'd choose something else.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:18 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I recently had two 2012 versions of these through Hertz (first had a severely broken driver's lumbar motor so exchanged for the second) and it was pretty much identical to the one described by the OP except that it had the convenience access and push button ignition. Overall I just felt that it was an okay car, better than the Maxima or Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, but well below the 2013 Taurus Limited I've gotten from Avis and the 300 Limiteds I've had through National in the same premium category (300 is luxury with Hertz apparently?).
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:29 pm

Not to stray off topic too much here, but the Hyundai Genesis is also luxury with Hertz. Two more reasons National is better!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:08 pm

I wonder if National will buy the Buick Verano, and if so, what class they'd make it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.