Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at TPA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, National Exec, WN A/CP
Yes, there are several self service kiosks to the right of the rental counters as you enter the facility. I've never used them as I am always choosing from the aisles but good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
And since I can't remember how clear the signage is: note that the National/Alamo facility at TPA requires a shuttle bus ride from the terminal (pickup locations are at each end of both sides of the baggage claim level). That's different from most of the other rental companies -- including Enterprise -- which are in the long-term garage right across from the terminal.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
And since I can't remember how clear the signage is: note that the National/Alamo facility at TPA requires a shuttle bus ride from the terminal (pickup locations are at each end of both sides of the baggage claim level). That's different from most of the other rental companies -- including Enterprise -- which are in the long-term garage right across from the terminal.
I will say it was very easy to find the shuttle pick up locations. There was plenty of signage directing us to the pick up spot. Finding the rental facility upon return is a bit harder, though not too bad.

Duds
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:27 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Greetings from sunny cold and rainy TPA.

This morning, the EA was full of Dodge Avengers, Chrysler Sebring sedans, and Chevy HHR; at least 5 of each. Sprinkled in with them was a VW New Beetle, a Chevy SUV, Dodge SUV, some Dodge Calibers, a Toyota Corolla, and some Kias. I found a Hyundai Sonata against the wall with NYC plates at 5,000 miles on the odo (and, most importantly, working XM) which I am now driving.

ES had a Kia Amanti, Chrysler M\ini Vans, a huge Ford F-250 pickup, and various other sedans.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriot Platinum, SAS eurobonus silver
Anyone rented Standard SUV from Tampa recently? What should I expect to get?

Do they have a bunch of cars I get to choose from or is it defined beforehands like here in Europe?

Planning a 2 week rent and I'm not sure if Standard SUV is worth the price compared to fullsize..
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:11 pm

In my experience the "Standard SUV" from the TPA location seems to run on the small side. There are usually several to choose from but are in the Toyota Highlander/ Kia Sorrento size range.

Full size usually runs the standard Chavy Malibu/Impala lines and the EA and ES lines are completely random.

Mid week provides a much better selection but just depends when you arrive.

I'm local so if you have any questions or concerns, just ask! It's not out of the question for me to make a lunch time ride over there...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:50 pm

jonnychoc,
Have you ever seen convertibles in ES in TPA? (if yes, then I would guess it would more likely be Sebring than Mustang).
Is arriving near 5 PM on Friday bad or good?
Do you know if it's possible to change/exchange car during weekly rental? And if yes, then how would this work?
Thank you very much
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by wildmight
jonnychoc,
Have you ever seen convertibles in ES in TPA? (if yes, then I would guess it would more likely be Sebring than Mustang).
Is arriving near 5 PM on Friday bad or good?
Do you know if it's possible to change/exchange car during weekly rental? And if yes, then how would this work?
Thank you very much
Convertibles are really rare in the ES in Tampa. Since we are close to the beach, they keep those under wraps and yes, most are Sebrings.

5 on Friday will either be very good or very bad. Just depends what time of year you are coming in because we get heavy weekend traffic when the weather is nice.

As far is the car exchange, you will have no issue at all. I've taken a car, then decided it wouldn't work and exchanged it in the morning for something else, both coming from the ES line. You just go to the return line and tell them that you are doing a car exchange. They prefer you to have your original paperwork (this will save you time), then they will note the exchange and you go back to whatever class you reserved or the EA or ES line.

Mid week, middle of the day will give you the biggest selection. Spring break is upon us so the pickings are more sparse. I have a rental next Monday afternoon so I will update what is on the line then.

When will you be picking up?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:38 pm

3/19 late afternoon - semi busy - but many cars available...

I was hoping for convertible but was told that no luck in ES at that time of the year. Selection wasn't bad, but nothing really exciting (walked around - and really didn't see anything else I liked very much - but again I'm picky and if paying for a car, it would be nice to have a good one).

I've seen:
- Several Camries
- 2 Dodge Ram pickup trucks (with full cab)
- Several Chargers / 300s
- Bunch of SUVs (Jeep Cherokee Laredo, Kia 2010 sorento (?), Ford Explorer, Jeep Liberty,)
- Buick Lucerne
- Mercury
- 1 Van snatched already

We picked 300 touring with leather and sattelite. When we came back to exchange on Sunday (it was raining and I was hoping for a convertible), I just went with an upgrade, and we got a grey Mustang Convertible (could have also picked Mitsubisi Spider - they have a couple of those - but was told by attendant that Mustang is better) - weather was supposed to be nice and we were going to Key West. Rate wasn't bad overall, but was twice of what I booked for ES.

Also, on Sunday, selection was smaller in ES - mostly sedans. There was a Kia Soul though (something like Scion Xb). Ford Taurus.

Also, I saw a yellow Chevy Camaro in a convertible isle.

Staff was very nice and respectful at all times - gates, parking log, office (I was having problem with my credit cards being rejected).. Good luck guys
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:52 pm

Help make choice

I'm going to be in Tampa from Friday to Sunday. I have emerald club but I'm not sure exactly how it works (I got it through work). When I log in, my tier is: Tier: EMERALD CLUB

I would like to get a convertible.

I can get a mid size for $52, standard for $54, full size for $63 or a convertible for $99 (including tax, etc).

If I reserve a full size, will that give me access to a convertible with my emerald club? What is the best "deal" to try to a convertible without paying almost double the cost?

Thanks for the help.

-Aaron
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:53 pm

Since it's almost double the cost, you have two options, both will just require some time.

I would reserve the midsize, that will give you access to the aisle. I would be fairly certain there will not be convertibles available on the Aisle, only rarely on the Executive aisle. You might get lucky though.

With Emerald Aisle service, you just go to the Aisle (on the right where they drop you off), pick the car you want and drive to the booth to check out. Quick and easy.

If you are set on a convertible, you might be better off trying to work an upgrade inside. As long as it's less then $40/day, you are getting off cheaper than what you are looking at now. Otherwise, just grab something on the aisle and you are off.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jonnychoc
If you are set on a convertible, you might be better off trying to work an upgrade inside. As long as it's less then $40/day, you are getting off cheaper than what you are looking at now. Otherwise, just grab something on the aisle and you are off.
Remember that the upgrade fee is very much negotiable. If they shoot high (which, will most likely happen) tell them you are only willing to pay $25-30 a day...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I was in TPA last week, Sunday evening check in, they had a Sebring AND a Mustang convertible in the ES. But I took the Volvo 2.4i instead. Nice.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:05 pm

I recently rented from this location for the first time (usually am traveling to ATL for business instead) and was suprised to see the following in the ES aisle:

2010 Sonata
new Camry
several chargers
Hummer (completely shocked)

Chose the 2010 Sonata and actually loved it. This was on a Monday night around 11:00pm. Now of course in ATL i can never find one.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:32 pm

Arrived in TPA last night at 9pm. There were 0 cars in National TPA. No cars in the aisle or Exec Section. As soon as cars were returned they were turned around. You should have heard people screaming! One even cancelled her reservation, but I was wondering where she was going to find a car on the 4th of July weekend or the high rate she was going to pay. As I was talking with the employees and managers, I was laughing! If anyone had a reason to scream it would have been me, the Executive Elite. I have to say, they worked their butt off. They even sent employees to p/u cars at Enterprise for the people waiting. They comped the first day for all the people waiting and offered to switch out the cars the next day. As for me, they found a Grand Marque for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.