Search

Cars at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:36 am

Picking a car up @ september 21.
How is the Executive area?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I wouldn't worry about your ffar reservation.

I saw several '15 Tahoes, Suburbans, & a '15 Yukon.
well, that's good to hear. although i forgot that this the national forum, i will have to go with alamo, hope they don't push all the old cars over to them...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
I have a luxury rental coming up at Iad. Sept 1 9pm pickup. Any recent info on car selection? I'm EE status and it says emerald reserve. Don't have much experience with National bc I usually rent from hertz but wanted to try something different.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by thefiverivers
I have a luxury rental coming up at Iad. Sept 1 9pm pickup. Any recent info on car selection? I'm EE status and it says emerald reserve. Don't have much experience with National bc I usually rent from hertz but wanted to try something different.

Last time I was there, they luxury cars were along a fence. You just pick a car from there. Last time I was there, the selection was a little bland. I would not expect more than a MKZ or ATS. I am also EE and they insisted on an upcharge for a BMW 3 series.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:16 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I had used a free day so no rate adjustment. Everytime I've rented from IAD I've had a poor experience.

I've rented at IAD 5-10 times every year in the past few years. My experience has been generally good. The Aisles usually have a good selection of SUVs and a variety of makes and models.

I've also found that it's not worth it to pay for Premium cars at IAD, since there is usually a Taurus, Avalon, Genesis or something similar on the Aisle anyway, and when you go to the booth, they will just tell you to take a Premium vehicle parked in the Aisle.

Luxury reservation might be different, though.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Originally Posted by KevinMD
Last time I was there, they luxury cars were along a fence. You just pick a car from there. Last time I was there, the selection was a little bland. I would not expect more than a MKZ or ATS. I am also EE and they insisted on an upcharge for a BMW 3 series.
Originally Posted by WAS
I've rented at IAD 5-10 times every year in the past few years. My experience has been generally good. The Aisles usually have a good selection of SUVs and a variety of makes and models.

I've also found that it's not worth it to pay for Premium cars at IAD, since there is usually a Taurus, Avalon, Genesis or something similar on the Aisle anyway, and when you go to the booth, they will just tell you to take a Premium vehicle parked in the Aisle.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. So they up charge for a bmw huh? Can you even rent a bmw from the national website? Is there a class higher than luxury i.e. Dream cars like hertz, etc. confused as to how you would get a bmw with national.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. So they up charge for a bmw huh? Can you even rent a bmw from the national website? Is there a class higher than luxury i.e. Dream cars like hertz, etc. confused as to how you would get a bmw with national.
There is a category called full size elite that is reserveable at some locations that is above luxury. The BMW is not in that category, but the Volvo and other high end cars are. It is possible to get a Volvo or BMW with a luxury reservation, just wanted you to not be surprised if they only had a MKZ.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:06 am

I still chuckle at the idea a Volvo S60 could be considered 'Above Luxury'. Everything about, say, a proper LCAR like a Cadillac CTS (Or even ATS) is better than the Volvo.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by KevinMD
There is a category called full size elite that is reserveable at some locations that is above luxury. The BMW is not in that category, but the Volvo and other high end cars are. It is possible to get a Volvo or BMW with a luxury reservation, just wanted you to not be surprised if they only had a MKZ.
Yeah I have had a mkz before, but I got that when I reserved a premium. IIRC the hierarchy of classes goes: full size, premium, full size elite, luxury, at least based on the national website.

So if they have a bmw etc I will try and grab it and report back on my findings.

Thanks again for the response. I appreciate it.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WAS

It's been a few years since I rented a luxury out of IAD but ... they also told me to take a Premium car from the aisle.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, RR, IHG, HH, MP, National EX
All levels, EA/EX/EE, selection has been pretty poor here on weekends since they've started doing the canopy upgrade work (so since about June-July). Probably 200 cars sitting in lines by the returns either un-processed or guys unwilling to drive them back out. I think the last time I came there were literally 3 cars under canopies, a RAM 1500, a 300 (which I took and got suprisingly great gas mileage with), and some type of SUV. The cars they do put out are usually decent, though I would never rent a Dodge or a VW from National now matter how awesome that Challenger might look on the lot (no Sat. Radio).

How I miss the days when there were regularly a pair of Sonata Hybrids in the parking lot, and at least 50 cars at all times. Finish the canopy work already!!

One plus at least is that you should have no issue finding a car with SiriusXM still active, even with bad selection.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Any updates on the canopy situation?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA Silver
I'm also curious to know if the work has been completed yet on the awnings? I have a rental here in a month.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Pls ignore, stuffed up my brain.

Last edited by tango3; Nov 30, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:31 am

Rented early November. There were awnings over the cars in the executive and aisle selection. No other awnings that I saw nor any signs of construction. Majority of cars seemed to be 2015 selection, but nothing that stood out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.