Cars at LAX

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: Executive Elite
Saw a Kia K900 last week under specialty. Rented a VW Touareg yesterday. Saw Ford Fusions, Avalons, Buick Verano, Impalas, Chargers in the Executive Aisle. Pretty bare Tues evening.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Full-Size, Luxury, Convertible or Full-Size SUV - what should I book at Alamo LAX for late November?

Any idea about the chances of getting a 2015 Tahoe or 2015 Mustang?

Both cars would be quite tempting to me.
Unfortunately, despite the price being virtually the same for Convertible and Full-Size SUV, they didn't allow me to switch without 'upgrading' in the past

Then again, a Fusion aka 2015 Mondeo (still not released in Europe ) could be worth a test-drive, as could be any Infiniti...

However, if they wanted to give me some Toyota as Full-Size or Chrysler as 'Luxury', I wouldn't be too happy...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:17 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Make two reservations and cancel the one you don't use. 2015 Mustang is unlikely, as I doubt those will be going to fleet sales very quickly. Current-generation (2014) Mustang is a distinct possibility. 2015 Tahoe I would say is extremely likely (or its sibling the GMC Yukon).

No Toyotas or Chryslers fall within the "Luxury" class so no worries for you there.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If anyone can report on ER-PREM over the next month or so, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Anything recent, especially for ER-PREM and ER-LUX? Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:50 pm

Heading to LAX 10/3 (Friday) - 10/6 (Monday) with the family of 5 (kids are 8, 6, and 2). I've got a minivan reserved right now (about $150), but I'm considering reserving a full size (about $56) and rolling the dice on whether a minivan is available in the Emerald Aisle. I am Executive thanks to the Amex Platinum. Thoughts on my chances of finding a minivan?

If we had to, we could survive in the fullsize, but it would be tight. The 8 year old doesn't technically require a booster seat (although we still use it for her at home and would have it along) and we'd probably only have 2 suitcases, so trunk space shouldn't be an issue.

Plans are basically to drive from LAX to our hotel right by Disneyland, park the car until Monday, drive to the beach Monday morning, and then drop off the vehicle before our flight Monday afternoon.

Worth the $100 gamble?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by briggek8717
Heading to LAX 10/3 (Friday) - 10/6 (Monday) with the family of 5 (kids are 8, 6, and 2). I've got a minivan reserved right now (about $150), but I'm considering reserving a full size (about $56) and rolling the dice on whether a minivan is available in the Emerald Aisle. I am Executive thanks to the Amex Platinum. Thoughts on my chances of finding a minivan?

If we had to, we could survive in the fullsize, but it would be tight. The 8 year old doesn't technically require a booster seat (although we still use it for her at home and would have it along) and we'd probably only have 2 suitcases, so trunk space shouldn't be an issue.

Plans are basically to drive from LAX to our hotel right by Disneyland, park the car until Monday, drive to the beach Monday morning, and then drop off the vehicle before our flight Monday afternoon.

Worth the $100 gamble?
Keep your Minivan res as a backup and cancel it before you drive out if your're able to get something workable from the aisle... I've seen minivans and 7-passenge SUVs (Travrse/Acadia/Enclave) on ES in LAX frequently.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Cars at LAX

This past Monday, 9/8, around 11:30 am: mostly SUVs on the Emerald Aisle, including a couple of GMC Acadias and one Grand Cherokee. I usually prefer an SUV but went for a Buick Verano sedan this time as I was driving to southern Orange County and wanted something good on gas. The few sedans in the regular Aisle went quickly once everyone got off the bus - maybe the other renters had the same idea re: gas mileage.

My colleague who landed about half an hour later and is Exec Elite snagged a Chrysler 300 from the ES.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:18 am

A few sedans and minivans earlier this week.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

LAX Tues 9/16

ES

tons of minivans
Tahoe
F250
Suburban
Optima
camaro
challenger
mustang
charger
Ford Terrain

Heavy on SUV and Minivans
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FatCatNak
ES

Ford Terrain

Heavy on SUV and Minivans

Is this a Euro model? OR do you mean GMC Terrain?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Got there at almost midnight last Tuesday (9/9). ES was mostly trash but I managed to find a Limited Expedition that I drove all week. The Sirius free trial ended on my way back to the airport on Friday .
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Is this a Euro model? OR do you mean GMC Terrain?
You are right..GMC Terrain
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:37 am

First, thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread.

My situation: few days @ Disneyland, then need to rent a car for the rest of the trip.

For Executive, should I rent from the LAX location or the SNA location? Which has a larger selection of SUVs/Minivans (family trip, so need a lot of space)

Given my Disneyland location, SNA would be easier/quicker to get to. There's a National right next to Disneyland, but does not have Emerald/Executive aisles.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:55 am

I would rent from LAX over SNA any day of the week... Selection is vastly superior and they actually use their ER sections. SNA is a hole with small EA/ES and the rest being bulk storage. I also see minivans on EA/ES frequently at LAX and did not see any at SNA (though they did have a Pathfinder 7-passenger SUV).

That said, check the rate for a Minivan at Disneyland location... Without the airport fees/taxes it might not be much more than ICAR at SNA or LAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.