Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Sometimes if I see something that grabs my attention right away, and I think that it might get taken if I don't act fast... I'll take the keys and throw my luggage in the back. Then I'll walk the lot and see if I like anything better. You're not committed until you drive out of the gate!
That made me laugh. I told my girlfriend about it (who proclaims that I'm an Emerald Club addict) and she said "You would. Or you'd put me in something as your own personal hold tag while you prance around the lot and check everything else out"

I then told her she'd given me a brilliant idea to guard against having a first pick get taken. She wasn't impressed...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
Originally Posted by eLSid

I come into LAX monthly, usually on a Friday, and this year have had out of the ES/EA:
2 Toyota Avalons
1 Highlander
1 FJ Cruiser
1 RAV4
1 Prius

My LAX EA/ES selections so far this year:

Toyota Highlander
Chevy Malibu
Chrysler 300
Toyota Avalon
Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Just got a brand new 2009 Mazda 6 from LAX yesterday...really sporty, nice ride; however, I just found out this morning that the car is so new and the temporary paper license on my windshield has already been expired. Now I'm driving the car without a license plate. I called National and they said I can continue to drive and if I get a ticket from the cops, they will pay for it.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Anybody rent recently from ES? My dad's headed down on Tuesday and I'm curious what he might get.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
ES Selection: What's up with the new style of keys? I am a fairly technically savvy person (so I think) but I could not figure these new keys out. Granted I was in a slight hurry and only gave myself a minute to try but I found I could not start the car. I tried two different cars with the new keys at LAX. Can't remember the first, I know the second one was a Nissan Rogue. Looked like a cool car just couldn't start the damn thing. When I pressed the start button an indicator light showed a picture of a key...... I ended up in a Buick with Sat radio and a sunroof so I was happy enough.

Last edited by Diamondback; Dec 5, 2008 at 5:34 pm
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:21 pm

The Altima has the smart key system too. You have to keep your foot on the brake and press the start button, then it'll automatically crank the starter and run. I knew this when I first got one since I've been around the Camry Hybrids for a while and their system is nearly identical.

Just to update on my previous post, my dad landed on Tuesday and picked out a Volvo V70 from Executive Selection. He's quite happy with it so far.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Thanks. Next time I'll be able to rent one! So, if I understand this new technology correctly, the key fob being on your person when you get in the car is all you need to start the car, correct? What then is the purpose of the little minature key attached to the fob -- gas cap, trunk?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Diamondback
Thanks. Next time I'll be able to rent one! So, if I understand this new technology correctly, the key fob being on your person when you get in the car is all you need to start the car, correct? What then is the purpose of the little minature key attached to the fob -- gas cap, trunk?
I think only some of the cars have the upgraded feature with the smart key. I rented a vanilla Prius at DCA; you stick the key in, then stamp on the brake, and press the START button on the dash.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I think only some of the cars have the upgraded feature with the smart key. I rented a vanilla Prius at DCA; you stick the key in, then stamp on the brake, and press the START button on the dash.
Yeah base model Prius you have to put the key into the slot to start. If it's a B package or higher (has VSC, backup camera) then you can just leave the key in your pocket
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL GE
Key should fit inside the key fob! Maybe it was taken out and not put back in? I have seen them do this with the jeeps before.

Also with the smart keys, there is a button on the door handle you can use to unlock or lock the doors. Very handy to not have to touch keys ever!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Plat, HH Gold
LAX Luxury Aisle

I´ve rented luxury in LAX last week and 1xSRX and 3xChrysler 300 were in the aisle.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I was a bit disappointed with a Dec 18 rental arriving late evening. We had a baby and a lot of luggage a three week road trip, so I wanted something larger than usual. The largeset things in the executive aisle were a Taurus (or maybe a Fusion), a bunch of Charger SXTs and some Altimas. Nothing crossover or SUV. The only Lucerne had the keys locked inside and was imobile. Not even an Impala.

Took the Charger, which had decent performance but not as much trunk space as we needed with all the baby gear so the car interior was cluttered. It only had 700 miles on it, but the air blowers rattled sometimes and it was hard to fill with gas (pump would cut off unless you pushed and titled it just right). Not great for scenic driving with the little windows.

Last edited by ENIAC; Jan 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:49 am

Convertibles

What do they have on the Convertible row, anything decent?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Picked up a car on Saturday. ES was nothing special. Lots of Malibus, Chargers, and Altimas. Nothing with XM until I asked, and they brought me a Malibu. When I couldn't figure out how to tilt the wheel, I moved all my stuff to an Altima hybrid and drove that away. I'm getting 36-40 mpg, even in city driving, so it's not a bad car.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:18 pm

I showed up at 3PM this past Sat at LAX...nothing on the Isle or Exec but waited until a sweet (but out of state) Volvo V70 pulled up. Luxury row now sports G35s and i saw ~12 Mercedes C300s on the lot - really sweet w/ sunroof, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.